Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #51
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Leave the place nicer than you found it !

If drinking adult beverages, DON'T act like a 17 yr old on his first Spring Break - respect the land owner and know your limits.
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #52
RyanE17
Four Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County/Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
I always bring good food and cook. I will bring whatever beverages the host would enjoy and itís usyally stuff I know. Good wine or whiskey or a variety of beer. I usually pay something for what I shoot except at my sisters and I would if they would take it. I clean and skin any game that needs it and try to leave the place somehow better than I found it. Itís an honor to be invited somewhere and should be treated that way!
Bingo.
RyanE17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #53
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

You can't just make a blanket statement like this, there are many variables which can take place in a persons life or the life of a ranch in any given year that may prevent them from inviting guest or certain guest back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
It's pretty simple.

If someone offers you an invite to their place and they never offer you an invite back its your fault.

We have a good time at our place. But there have been good friends of mine that don't get invited anymore. I am still good friends with all of them. They figured it out.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #54
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

I invited a guest one time; that acted as if they ran the place. Saying stuff like "I'm going to this stand," or "im going to kill a big one right here." All this even before the paying members picked their spots. It made for a crappy lease weekend, and I steer far away from this individual on hunting trips now.

Everyone else covered what is expected. Good food, drinks, chairs, and tools. Leave the place better than you found it.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #55
Rubberdown
Eight Point

Honestly, tell the people if it ****** you off. If they don't like it... they can tell you and you can shake hands and don't invite them back. Pretty easy, and honestly how it should be.
Rubberdown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #56
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I always bring extra beer/whiskey, usually provide at least 1 meal, and never show up without tools and work clothes. Don't create work for someone else, ie pick up after yourself. If we're fixing fence, I fix the most fence. If we're filling feeders, I haul the most corn. Etc

Antelope, and nilgai invites call for a little extra...Brute Cooler, Disc Cooker, good Scotch, etc...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #57
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Strippers
Lynn21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #58
apc10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

The recurring guests at our ranch all have the same things in common: they always ask what to bring, are always eager to help with any chores or anything that pops up, and help clean everything before leaving.

The people that don't get the invite are usually just very lazy.
apc10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #59
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Strippers
What weekends are you free to come out to hunt my place? ha ha ha
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #60
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
You can't just make a blanket statement like this, there are many variables which can take place in a persons life or the life of a ranch in any given year that may prevent them from inviting guest or certain guest back.

Your looking way too deep into my post.

In a nutshell if your a guy who thinks your surrounded with a bunch of jerks your usually the jerk.

Get it?

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #61
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc10 View Post
The recurring guests at our ranch all have the same things in common: they always ask what to bring, are always eager to help with any chores or anything that pops up, and help clean everything before leaving.

The people that don't get the invite are usually just very lazy.

Yup yup... and I try to mirror that as a guest as well
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #62
HillCoBowHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Georgetown, Burnet

As a host I typically supply the venison for the weekend and my buddies bring the fixins and drinks (they are always insistent on that). I never show up to someone else's place empty handed even if they tell me I don't need anything, I'm picking up a bottle of something to give to them for their hospitality.

Last edited by HillCoBowHunter; 07-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.
HillCoBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #63
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I have a place that my friend hunts, anytime, with or without me. He usually buys half the corn, helps me with food plots, filling feeders, trimming lanes, etc. Sometimes my wife is there on the weekends, and she cooks. He always thanks her for the meal. This is as it should be IMO.

I also am a member on a lease with three others. One of them (and his son) has been a friend for 25 years. It's like pulling teeth to get any of them to help do anything. I'm the only one with a tractor, so I mow. Up until this year I also planted food plots, spring and fall, for them as well as myself. Things have changed, as I'm tired of doing it all myself. This year, I will mow my roads and plant my food plot. We'll see if they get the message.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #64
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Your level of pickiness is 100% up to you.
When I'm invited some place I usually bring a gift of some sort and ask what else I can bring (feed, beer, etc.). I offer to help where I can and clean up after myself.
In general I try to communicate directly about expectations and ask or err on the side of respect and courtesy when in doubt or unclear.

and what Sika said
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #65
Hunting4fun
Four Point

If you shoot an animal for the love of God don't sit there with your thumb up your butt and watch the owner clean it. If you don't know how, get on YouTube and learn so you can at least help.

Last edited by Hunting4fun; 07-16-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #66
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Whatever beer they like to drink, whatever whiskey they drink and food fit for fatboys! Clean up, pick up...rinse and repeat.
Harumph! Well put.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #67
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
I always bring good food and cook. I will bring whatever beverages the host would enjoy and itís usyally stuff I know. Good wine or whiskey or a variety of beer. I usually pay something for what I shoot except at my sisters and I would if they would take it. I clean and skin any game that needs it and try to leave the place somehow better than I found it. Itís an honor to be invited somewhere and should be treated that way!
Fold the TP with a military triangle on the roll.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #68
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Peach shine

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #69
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I have taken a lot of folks hunting through the years. I bust my butt to make sure they have a great time. I expect nothing from them in return. I also take a good many folks fishing and most of the time I send them home with a mess of fillets.

I just really enjoy taking folks out that don,t get to go often.

When I was a kid I didnít have many opportunities to hunt or fish so I know what it is like to REALLY want to go but not have anyone to take me.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #70
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

I have a family member with a small place (362 acres-low fence) around Rocksprings, that's covered in Axis and of course Whitetail. I get to hunt a couple times every year, but no other family members do. Why? I offered to pay for an Axis doe about 5 years ago and he said Ok. I came and shot a big fat doe and brought food, corn, beer. Got ready to leave and reached in my wallet for the cash and he said don't worry about it. Now, I'm invited back every year. Usually use at least 1 buck tag on a cull and at least a couple doe tags, for population control. Always bring a couple axis doe home also. I help build, move stands and feeders. I usually bring some game meat that I've shot. Have brought Elk, Blackbuck, and Oryx. Helped build a shooting range. I'm a roofing contractor, so helped build a covered storage area between 2 shipping containers. This year I'm getting the green light for a mature Axis buck.....SWEET!!!
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #71
XBOW STALKER
Six Point

Hunt In: TEXAS
Default Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by howabouttheiris View Post
My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
6) Field dress all animals for owner.
7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.
Wanna go fishin. I'll get the rope!
XBOW STALKER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #72
Huntsman27
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

To me I think it depends on the nature of the invite and the personality of the friend that invites me. I have been invited to places for work trips in the off season which I love to do and people that have invited for that know it. I have also been invited to places for hunts. On work trips some people are particular, and that's OK, about letting you do things for them and others not so much. For example, If a feeder needs repair one friend wants you to go with him for morale support where my other friend will say there are parts in the garage go fix that feeder.

As others have said I always bring something to show my appreciation food/drinks etc and always do whatever needs to be done to make a contribution and not be a burden. I think the most important thing is go with an appreciative and willing attitude.

I have had guest at my place both in the off season and during the season and have always treated them like a guest with no expectations. They have never disappointed me.
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #73
ByronB
Ten Point

I like to bring steaks, snacks, beer, ice, corn, etc. to my buddies place in Junction. I let him know ahead of time so he is not buying extras. It is a nice gesture from him that he allows my son and I to bow hunt on his place a couple of times per year.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #74
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Peach shine

Skinny

The gift that keeps on giving all night long
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #75
topduarte
Pope & Young

Offer working and cleaning around or whatever they ask.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #76
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I have always welded a discatta and bought a stand and propane tank. Brought food to cook on it and leave it all as a gift when I leave. I usually like just hanging out but if they have water and itís waterfowl season I always ask about duck hunting if available. I also always bring an ultralight and catch pond fish
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #77
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I fly up and go fish with buddies every year. We end up driving their trucks and using their boats and cooking equipment. I try and pay for more than an my share and rotate to give them nice gifts they could, but choose not to buy themselves (custom knife, nice rod/reel, etc.).

I also try and bring a premium bottle of whiskey and a few top notch cigars.

Lastly I say thank you after I get home and tell them I appreciate the hospitality.
StrayDog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #78
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
I would bring GOOD steaks and all the other food and drinks.
10 gallons of gas, my own sleeping bag and some corn. Do all the cooking and cleaning and not expect to shoot a deer. Hogs and doves? Yes, my limit

No, you are not being picky.
For sure. I was invited to a 2-spot lease many years back and I showed up with 250 lbs of corn and about a half-truckload of firewood. Next year I was on the lease and the "bag of corn a month" guy was gone.
dustoffer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #79
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
All I ask is for some Summer sausage sweety pie! My other hot killer man never brings me any.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #80
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
All I ask is for some Summer sausage sweety pie! My other hot killer man never brings me any.
Oh Iíll give you some sausage alright!!! German sausage.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #81
djc
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba, TX

Good bourbon and good steaks, and a personal gift.
djc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #82
W-O
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I always bring extra beer/whiskey, usually provide at least 1 meal, and never show up without tools and work clothes. Don't create work for someone else, ie pick up after yourself. If we're fixing fence, I fix the most fence. If we're filling feeders, I haul the most corn. Etc

Antelope, and nilgai invites call for a little extra...Brute Cooler, Disc Cooker, good Scotch, etc...
I saw what you did there. pretty slick.
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #83
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Oh I’ll give you some sausage alright!!! German sausage.

lmao!!....I can do hunters sticks Puddin'.. Haven't made summer sausage in several years.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #84
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

For most of my life, I have been on the invitee system. I volunteer to cook, and I can tell you that gumbo and crawfish etoufee has gotten me invited back to a bunch of places. Cleaning dishes, doing work, etc. I once unloaded 4 pallets of corn from a panel truck into a shipping container by myself in September in South Texas.

Really, don't be lazy and don't wait until you are asked.

And, pay it forward. I still get invited back to a place where I started a little prairie fire and got very, very lucky I didn't burn the hole place down including the house.

Now that I am on a lease, I like taking people, but the ones that get invited back the most are the ones that are less work for me.

One guy in particular that I used to work with has become a close friend because of how easy he is to go make the lease trip with. He had a standing invitation to come with me anytime and would usually make 3-4 trips per year. Even better, a spot opened up last year and he is a lease member now.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #85
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Oh Iíll give you some sausage alright!!! Vienna sausage.
FIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
lmao!!....I can do hunters sticks Puddin'.. Haven't made summer sausage in several years.
Thanks Cupcake. I appreciate that.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #86
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by howabouttheiris View Post
My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
6) Field dress all animals for owner.
7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.

If I ever become a ranch owner, you are the first one I'm going to invite out!

Nicely done sir.....
TXBRASS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #87
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I have only been lucky enough to be invited a few times. My standard has always been to buy all the food and do the cooking. Any work that needs to be done I jump in to do it. On one invite my buddy and I bought the ranch owner a Lifetime BBQ Pit, and on the other we bought the owner a 600# stand and fill feeder. We have been lucky enough to get invited back several times. I find it hard to believe that people have expectations as a guest, and or make demands. I'm just glad to be there.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #88
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Good to hear everyone here is a good guest ......at least in their own mind!
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #89
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
Good to hear everyone here is a good guest ......at least in their own mind!
I like that Kdog. I have had a few down at my place that fit that category.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top