Port Aransas fishing, early September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Aransas fishing, early September

Looking at heading down to Port A just after the Labor day weekend, probably have 3 days to fish and hang out. Will not have a boat, no kayak, looking for ideas on where/how to catch some supper. Probably stay at Pioneer RV.

Shrimp in season? Any place better to obtain than a shrimp boat (exc- Polly Anna)?

Jetty, channels, bay, surf, and bait?

Thanks.

If blue water is in go to the rocks and throw for kings / jacks

Comment

Reds should be good off the rocks/jetties then too. If the gulf is calm the clear water should move in on the surf and jetties during that time of the year. That will make the fishing good for just about anything.

Comment

You could take the jetty boat over to the north jetty at Port A, if you stay at Pioneer RV, you’re not for from the fish pass jetties or packery jetties. Don’t overlook the surf either as on calm mornings you can really do well catching trout on artificials. The surf is also full of whiting which are also easy to catch on dead shrimp and make great fish tacos. However they don’t do well from frozen as they fall apart. Any bass fishing rods/reels will work and some of the lures as well. Pm me if you need or want more info

Comment

I might do that Old Mathews. Not our first time to Port A, just firsts on month (usually July) and no boat. Thanks to the other guys too.

Comment

I'd spend at least one night on the rocks casting into the ship channel with a slip cork and shrimp or finger mullet with a small cyalume on the cork. Caught my biggest Red and saw a State record caught there ( we didn't even know it ) I'd try to buy the shrimp from the boats at the marina - the tiderunners should still be in so you might get some prawns and eat some smoked sailfish at deep sea headquarters! Sure miss that place!!

Comment

Get a cast net, Mullet should be in the surf pretty thick. Target jacks, kings, tarpon with bigger mullet under a ballon rig. Throw finger mullet in the first/second guts for keeper reds and trout.

Comment

So, you gonna leave me with the doves and step it up to the Salt Life?

Comment

Hey TG, we had planned on going to Whitney. Daughter and possible future SIL mentioned Port A and since it's been about 10 years since we have been to the coast decided we'll look into it.

I'll still get 1-3 September.

Comment

No problems brother ! I've very happy you are getting to go ! Been thinking about it my self for sometime. Only, it'll have to be cooler out when I do go . My brother has been several times in the last year, in the Galveston area. He's got some friends that live down there. I just need to plan not to work some week(or weekend), and go.

Edit: forgot to add, I've got a cuzzin in the Port A area.

Comment

As mentioned, north and south PA jetties, also look at packery channel and jetties. You can fish the lights at red dot pier under the causway. If you have 4wd, you can cruise pins and fish the birds. I was at pins jetty a few years ago freelining mullet, Spanish, bull reds and three battles with tarpon on a bass rod. Fun times. If you do pins take a shovel, something to use as a deadman and a winch or come along. Phone service at the top of the dunes...maybe. I usually just wander down to the beach early and fish at daylight. Fish spooks early and then gulp paddletails or look for birds and throw spoons. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks JND, I would suspect that most of what we do will be on the beach. I can get out early morning, wife no.

Comment

Another stupid question. September, fishing off the beach, 1st or 2nd gut, how far out is that?

And as far as the gut, or fishing in general, how is that affected by tides?

For our trip, high tide will be early morning (0300) and low tide will be early evening(1900).

Comment

Working...
                          X