Venison heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison heart

I know a few people that eat venison heart, so when I shot one today, I saved the heart as well. Got home and I'm wondering how to best prepare and cook it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    All the best,
    Glenn

Cut out all of the white. Slice it and fry it with some onions. The heart is my favorite part of the deer now.

Comment

Slice about 1/4" slices and get your cast iron pan nice and hot, salt pepper and get your sear on with with a little bacon fat/butter and done...Do not over cook.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
        Cut out all of the white. Slice it and fry it with some onions. The heart is my favorite part of the deer now.
        X2

Comment

Clean it good, cut out the white like mikeyb said and smoke it. We smoked one last weekend for two hours at 220ish. It was so rich and smokey it was sinful.

Comment

Most the time I just grind up in sausage, but I keep one per season and I slice it paper thin and dust with flour along with garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper and pan fry and eat it in a tortilla. Lots of ways just look some up.

Comment

Nope! The heart goes in the gut pile with the rest of the innards!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

I've always wanted to slice up a little bit and try it.

Tried chicken hearts at this Brazilian steak house last week..it had an iron taste to it... not god awful but not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
                  Slice about 1/4" slices and get your cast iron pan nice and hot, salt pepper and get your sear on with with a little bacon fat/butter and done...Do not over cook.
                  Great for breakfast! Meat like all the rest, don't know why you'd waste it.

Comment

Hot cast iron skillet with salt, pepper, bacon, and onions.thin slices. Key is not to over cook it

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post

XX3../////

Comment

Clean it out and un-roll it, salt, pepper and slice thin. Throw in a skillet with diced taters and onions and that's my boys favorite breakfast. I've also covered them in molasses and seasonings and smoked them

Comment

Cut it in small cubes, put cubes on hook, catch catfish, fry catfish [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter806 View Post
                            Clean it out and un-roll it, salt, pepper and slice thin. Throw in a skillet with diced taters and onions and that's my boys favorite breakfast. I've also covered them in molasses and seasonings and smoked them
                            The molasses sounds interesting.

Comment

My wife cooks it slow for about 6 hours after she sears it. It's hard to beat, tender as all get out.

(Disclaimer there is some other trimmings added in those pics to make enough for supper)

Comment

Working...
                              X