Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting a deer that's already been shot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting a deer that's already been shot...

What's the SOP here? This is an archery only county, we have 2 bucks running around that have been shot already, 1 was about a month ago and 1 was about 2 weeks ago. Assuming both are "doing ok" and are back at corn piles, if they weren't bucks you targeted would you shoot just because they are injured? If you kill it does it go to the original shooter? What if it was one of your target bucks, would you keep it?

What if it was a target buck and he came in very sick and didn't look good, I would obviously shoot, but then who gets the deer?

For the record, 1 was a target buck, that was seen on a camera (not mine) about a week ago with a high shot, and 1 was a buck that I would have passed another year that was seen about 4 days ago and did not appear to be doing well, shot location was believed to be high as well but not positive. He is also a buck that I had on camera a lot before he was shot.

Just curious what you guys have done in this situation.

I shot a deer last year, because it had looked like it had gotten hit by a car or shot in the shoulder. Broken and could barely walk. I shot him legal, ate good. But, I missed my shot at my target buck as I believe he was shot last year sometimes. Have not seen him this year at all.

Comment

If you shoot him days after the first shot he’s your deer

Comment

The person who KILLS the deer is who it belongs to.

And yes. If there was a wounded deer that was suffering I would put it down. No question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

And yes. If there was a wounded deer that was suffering I would put it down. No question about it.
          This. I think as a good human being and hunter you are morally obligated to kill a animal that is suffering. Put your tag on it and enjoy the bounty.

Comment

This... I don’t know why it would go to anyone else. The other guy/gal obviously didn’t kill it...

Comment

If not a target deer and shot high, I would let him go and see what happens. If they are out and about eating and trying to survive, I don't think they are suffering that bad. Why shoot and dump to buzzards? Gut shot is a different story.
              Last edited by JeffK; 01-03-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I shot a deer a couple years ago that had been wounded (gut shot) and stank to high heaven clearly not edible. I called the GW he came out to look at the buck and told me he would have the state issue me a new tag. About a week later it arrived.
                Poor deer could hardly move 20' without having to lay back down I couldn't stand watching him.

Comment

I would kill any animal that was obviously suffering.
                  The deer goes to the person that kills it.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    I would kill any animal that was obviously suffering.
                    The deer goes to the person that kills it.
                    This and feel the same way

Comment

My thoughts also.

Comment

Deer can survive some amazingly bad injuries
                        Unless it’s gut shot or can’t get up, I will usually watch them go
                        and hope for the best.

Comment

I had a young doe in the pasture with a broken front leg that I struggled with a few weeks ago. It took 30 minutes for it to get across the field. Doe season had closed, and I decided it had a chance, very very small. I let it go, but most likely coyotes finished it off.

Buck still standing more than 24 hours isn't a recovery, it's a kill.

Comment

I'd put any wounded animal out of its misery and it'd be one I killed. You don't get to wound animals then claim them as ones you killed when someone else does or they die weeks later do to getting sick. That'd be like someone bragging that they shot a huge deer and telling you they never found it when you ask to see a picture of it.

Unless you shoot it and walk up to it and load it up, you really didn't kill nothin.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 01-03-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

You kill it, your deer.

Yes, I would put it down if suffering.

Comment

Working...
                              X