No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd wait on the bass until next year. I've built several of these and the more head start that you give the forage fish, the better the bass habitat long term. Also, put a few channel catfish in. They will cut down on the mudcat reproduction. You will get mudcats eventually. Looks great. No such thing as too much structure
    Last edited by courtatlawjudge; 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      I was thinking the same thing! I would build a blind amongst those standing trees in the water.
      Water will be almost 6' in those areas, but we've definitely talked about it. If they seem to like that spot we'll be dragging wood out by boat to meet 'em.

Originally posted by graesz View Post
      Looks good. Pray for rain!
      Thanks. He's got a well for it, but free water from the sky is always the best.

Originally posted by mission venture View Post
      That is sweet
      Originally posted by lakefork View Post
      Real cool bro.
      Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
      Looks good
      Thanks. I'm just the part time grunt on this job.

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
      Tilapia as a forage fish would be good choice as well. This is awesome and my dream to do one day
      Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Tilapia will give those bass plenty to eat, and clean your pond up at the same time. They eat decently to!
      We're going to give them a try later this summer when/if the water temp comes up enough, but there's a concern they won't make it through the winter up here in NE Texas.

Originally posted by Aboud View Post
      IMO this is not a good idea. You need to stock any minnows or shad long before the bass to where they can establish before the bass are introduced. I guess it also depends on what size bass you stock. If you stock any bass over 6" at the same time you stock shad your shad will not survive.
      Thanks for the advice. There should be almost 3 months separation btwn shad and bass, but I'll raise the concern. The goal for this lake is quality big fish. Not sure how many or what size/mix of bass are going in because I'm just a part time grunt and hopeful fishermen, but I know the bait will get poured to 'em pretty well. The guy doing the stocking has done lakes we've fished on and each of them seem pretty balanced with good fish and bait.

Originally posted by hchunter View Post
      I would put some of those prawn crawfish in it, that is sweet!
      Send 'em on over, we'll let them go

Originally posted by mogrin73 View Post
      very nice
      Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Where is this located? If you have a bait tank now is the time to go catch a bunch of shad that are fixing to spawn. Yellowtails and Gizzards.
      Located in NE Texas. We're taking the kids sand bass fishing this weekend. Thanks for the reminder to bring the cast net and big cooler.

Comment

WOW is all I can say, very cool! Thanks for sharing, I will be re-doing our pond one day and will certainly reference this thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
          I'd wait on the bass until next year. I've built several of these and the more head start that you give the forage fish, the better the bass habitat long term. Also, put a few channel catfish in. They will cut down on the mudcat reproduction. You will get mudcats eventually. Looks great. No such thing as too much structure
          This is our battle cry.

Quick question for those of you who've done this before and have some age on your lakes. Any opinions on size of rock/gravel to drop? There are a couple larger rock piles made out of larger scrap concrete and full bricks, but we still need some smaller gravel and rock for the spawning areas and to promote algae growth. Did y'all have better luck with one size over the other to keep it fresh and avoid sedimentation or did you just go small so it is effective and supplement as needed?
          Last edited by Ride_Klein; 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

You need a shad tank with a filter and circulation. You won't be able to keep them alive for long. I was going to offer to help you on this but just to far away.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              You need a shad tank with a filter and circulation. You won't be able to keep them alive for long. I was going to offer to help you on this but just to far away.
              Thanks for the offer. Really appreciate it. Is this what you're talking about?

I've got a big cooler and an oxygen tank, how long do you think we could make it that?

Comment

I have one of these. You could probably make them last a couple of hours if you have oxygen . Throw a couple hand fulls of water softner salt in the water as well.

Comment

Wow, this place looks awesome... Hope you keep showing the progress...

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Very freakin awesome!!

Comment

bass lake

I don't have all the answers and looks like there several good bits of info already posted BUT.....the one thing I will second is giving your bait fish all the time you can. I gave mine 2/3rds of a "growing" season(19,000 copper nose, red ear perch and 1-200 pounds of minnows). Do it all over they would have gotten a 2 full "growing" seasons.

The problem is patience for me......

I also am a big fan of the tilapia, my opinion is get advice before buying though. They are very temperamental to water temperature but a great way to feed you lake.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

Comment

very cool, that's a big project

Comment

Have to seen the video "great Small Waters" by Ray Scott? EXCELLENT resource.

Also...Tire Reef

Looks awesome so far!

Comment

thats gonna be a little piece of heaven

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X