Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Lightbulb When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Wanting to stock the freezer and I have been seeing a lot of doe coming in but they all have a fawn or two with them. Some have visible spots and others are pretty faded. Pretty good coyote population in the area. I would rather not shoot a doe with a fawn but literally every doe I've seen has had a fawn with her.

Do y'all shoot does with fawns? Or how old does a fawn need to be to survive with out mom?
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
BW96
Ten Point
 
BW96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tyler
Hunt In: Public and wood county
Default

I'm sure they would survive just fine. I'd pick a doe that's with a few others. That way the fawn can stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Dillakilla
Eight Point
 
Dillakilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Comanche County
Default

Ive always heard that as long as spots are gone then they are good to go. But I like above post idea also.
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
I'm sure they would survive just fine. I'd pick a doe that's with a few others. That way the fawn can stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is a good idea. Plenty of other moms to foster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillakilla View Post
Ive always heard that as long as spots are gone then they are good to go. But I like above post idea also.
I have heard this also but man they look like easy prey for the yotes.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
1riot1ranger
Eight Point
 
1riot1ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boerne
Hunt In: Gillespie County
Default

When I've hunted public land the biologists always say to shoot them. By this time of year the fawns will survive just fine. I still have a hard time pulling the trigger on those and usually pass.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Louis
Ten Point
 
Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Dakota7493
Ten Point
 
Dakota7493's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burleson, TX
Hunt In: Erath County
Default

I hate doing it. When I was a kid, my dad shot a doe that had two fawns with her. They were old enough to not have spots but they were pretty young. They wouldn't leave her. I had to chase them off and they kept coming back. Finally I gave up and they stood about 30 yds from us while we gutted the momma. Still feel bad and that was over 30 years ago.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Shoot the fawn too
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
meltingfeather
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: austin
Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default

Not my cup of tea-- not this early in the season.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
troy_w_7
Eight Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodray12 View Post
Wanting to stock the freezer and I have been seeing a lot of doe coming in but they all have a fawn or two with them. Some have visible spots and others are pretty faded. Pretty good coyote population in the area. I would rather not shoot a doe with a fawn but literally every doe I've seen has had a fawn with her.

Do y'all shoot does with fawns? Or how old does a fawn need to be to survive with out mom?
As soon as she gives you a clean shot!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
wloftis
Eight Point
 
wloftis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Hunt In: All Over Texas
Default

Like others have said, I think the fawn would be just fine and start running with another doe and her fawn (if she has one). Personally, if shooting a doe with a fawn, I prefer doing so when the fawn has grown out of its spots...but to each their own.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
When I've hunted public land the biologists always say to shoot them. By this time of year the fawns will survive just fine. I still have a hard time pulling the trigger on those and usually pass.
I have been passing hoping for a lone doe to come in or a spike or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on
May have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota7493 View Post
I hate doing it. When I was a kid, my dad shot a doe that had two fawns with her. They were old enough to not have spots but they were pretty young. They wouldn't leave her. I had to chase them off and they kept coming back. Finally I gave up and they stood about 30 yds from us while we gutted the momma. Still feel bad and that was over 30 years ago.
I've seen this happen also, tough to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Shoot the fawn too
Funny! My dad said the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Not my cup of tea-- not this early in the season.
I like to shoot a doe early for meat at camp and to have less mouths to feed in the herd and I may not see any later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
As soon as she gives you a clean shot!
Doe going down this week!
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Iíll shoot them on opening day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #14
Jspradley
Ten Point
 
Jspradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: League City, TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

The seasons are set the way they are for a reason. Shoot away!
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Iíll shoot them on opening day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I should have done that apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
The seasons are set the way they are for a reason. Shoot away!
haha Fair enough.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
tmurray
Ten Point
 
tmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

Depends on what part of the state I'm hunting in. If deep south Texas I wait another month as everything happens a little later down there.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #17
walker1983
Ten Point
 
walker1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midland
Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan
Default

After the past 2 weekends of arrow slinging - we have a lot of orphaned fawns at the feeders. On our place, most all of the babies still have spots until later on in October.

For the most parts, the orphans seem to just group up with the other does/fawns until the rut starts. I'm sure the coyotes still pick off a few, but have always heard that once the fawns are up at heel (not being stashed in the grass to hide by their mothers), they can survive solo...

So I'd say - shoot away
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Depends on what part of the state I'm hunting in. If deep south Texas I wait another month as everything happens a little later down there.
Makes sense. I am northish but have hunted quite a bit outside of freer in the past and noticed the delay there.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1983 View Post
After the past 2 weekends of arrow slinging - we have a lot of orphaned fawns at the feeders. On our place, most all of the babies still have spots until later on in October.

For the most parts, the orphans seem to just group up with the other does/fawns until the rut starts. I'm sure the coyotes still pick off a few, but have always heard that once the fawns are up at heel (not being stashed in the grass to hide by their mothers), they can survive solo...

So I'd say - shoot away
I should have asked this question before the opener lol. Another member on my lease had similar ideas to myself so I thought maybe I should get some other opinions. Thanks for your input.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #20
cgny27
Ten Point
 
cgny27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Far North Dallas
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Yeah i’m still scarred from a Michigan hunt when i was in college where I shot the momma...and for the next 20 minutes listened and watched her baby calling for her and running around frantically....i can’t do that again...
cgny27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #21
haas0311
Pope & Young
 
haas0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: From La Vernia, Now live in Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Floresville and anywhere invited!
Default

I am in the same boat with you! My brother shot a doe with a fawn and she still had milk... Kinda makes you feel bad but they fawns should be ready to go and as long as they are eating corn... Game on!
haas0311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #22
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point
 
TXhoghunter94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montgomery, Tx
Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX
Default

I would wait for a single doe or for the rut to start where the does will break the fawns off

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
Hookset
Six Point
 
Hookset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wills Point, TX
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Nope, not a doe with a yearling this early in the season, unless there is a really good reason, and meat for the freezer is not good enough for me. I wait until the end of the season or even the extend season.
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #24
Txhuntr2
Ten Point
 
Txhuntr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Kinney County
Default

If the fawns are eating corn I feel ok shooting the doe because I believe the fawn can survive on its own. But I have never hunted an area with a large coyote population.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
kingranch
Ten Point
 
kingranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: austin
Default

I do it all the time
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #26
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgny27 View Post
Yeah iím still scarred from a Michigan hunt when i was in college where I shot the momma...and for the next 20 minutes listened and watched her baby calling for her and running around frantically....i canít do that again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
I am in the same boat with you! My brother shot a doe with a fawn and she still had milk... Kinda makes you feel bad but they fawns should be ready to go and as long as they are eating corn... Game on!
:/ not a good feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
I would wait for a single doe or for the rut to start where the does will break the fawns off

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have been waiting for a single doe but apparently all of our does are very fertile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
Nope, not a doe with a yearling this early in the season, unless there is a really good reason, and meat for the freezer is not good enough for me. I wait until the end of the season or even the extend season.
I do not like shooting does in the extended season, too many of them have been pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
If the fawns are eating corn I feel ok shooting the doe because I believe the fawn can survive on its own. But I have never hunted an area with a large coyote population.
Lots of coyotes. We have snares set everywhere for them.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point
 
RattlesnakeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Floresville
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

I have 2 doe with fawns and the big mama with the bigger fawn is going to get an arrow if all goes well. She is the most attentive (skittish) and a pain in the butt to have around. Those fawns by now are more likely to get hit by a car than caught by Yotes.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #28
Rodray12
Four Point
 
Rodray12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Granger, Brownwood, Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I have 2 doe with fawns and the big mama with the bigger fawn is going to get an arrow if all goes well. She is the most attentive (skittish) and a pain in the butt to have around. Those fawns by now are more likely to get hit by a car than caught by Yotes.
Good point. It is always the mom that spooks all the others out of the area.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #29
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Tejas
Default

I don't have anything against doing it but I just don't shoot them when they still have a fawn with them at any point.
I don't really shoot does though unless it's a big axis doe.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #30
sotx
Ten Point
 
sotx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Shoot the fawn too
This
sotx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #31
AlwaysGigEm
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deer Park, Texas
Hunt In: Goldthwaite, D'Hanis, Kansas
Default

I don't shoot at does with fawns in tow. I only shoot does that have grown enough to where they are halfway as tall as my feeder. MB Ranch King 500lb.

I probably miss out on a lot of does, but I sleep better at night knowing that I didn't orphan a youngin.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #32
sandbill
Eight Point
 
sandbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Benbrook, TX
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

I couldn’t split up the family
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #33
Encinal
Pope & Young
 
Encinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Location, Location
Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints
Default

We just try to kill fawns.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #34
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point
 
Cstat_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.
Default

Personally, I shoot them when the fawn no longer has spots. I'd much rather do that then shoot a doe late season that has one in the womb could be a future stud in there that never got a chance. Just my .02.
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #35
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

First deer I ever killed was back in CA. Was a Muley Doe with a Fawn/Yearling. Never saw the fawn until after I shot the Doe.
Hunting in the San Diego Mountains. Glassed the Doe bedded down on a rocky hillside. Only caught an ear twitch is what gave her away. Shot her through the neck from the opposite side of the valley. 170yd Shot with my 30-06. Hiked back to meet my buddy and he was already headed towards the sound of the shot. Got back to where I shot from and we were glassing to find her again. That's when we noticed the fawn bedded nearby. Doe flopped over dead when shot. Fawn never got up. My buddy shot the fawn and we filled 2 antlerless tags.
Caught a lot of flack for that back on a CA based hunting forum. Either way, 2 deer were going to die that day. Shouldn't matter if it was 2 does or a doe and a fawn.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #36
LivinADream
Ten Point
 
LivinADream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnie TX
Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS
Default

A week ago???

As far as the fawn goes, it will be fine... Might miss momma for an hour or so, but you'll see the same fawn tomorrow at the same feeder.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #37
6.5CM
Eight Point
 
6.5CM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

I wouldn’t do it but that’s just me.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #38
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstat_hunter View Post
Personally, I shoot them when the fawn no longer has spots. I'd much rather do that then shoot a doe late season that has one in the womb could be a future stud in there that never got a chance. Just my .02.
This makes no sense. Killing a Doe is killing a Doe.
Her reproductive cycle ends either way.
Kill her early season or late season, either way, she's not having another fawn
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #39
BW96
Ten Point
 
BW96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tyler
Hunt In: Public and wood county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
This makes no sense. Killing a Doe is killing a Doe.

Her reproductive cycle ends either way.

Kill her early season or late season, either way, she's not having another fawn
Yeah, I don't mind shooting one with a fawn. But I dont like seeing a fetus when I'm cleaning one. I've done that before, I felt terrible. At least the fawn has a good chance to make it, a fetus does not. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 AM   #40
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point
 
Cstat_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
This makes no sense. Killing a Doe is killing a Doe.
Her reproductive cycle ends either way.
Kill her early season or late season, either way, she's not having another fawn
I understand that but what I am saying is I would rather kill a doe with a fawn then one in the late season with a fetus. Obviously killing the doe would end her reproductive cycle. lol
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 AM   #41
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point
 
Cstat_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
Yeah, I don't mind shooting one with a fawn. But I dont like seeing a fetus when I'm cleaning one. I've done that before, I felt terrible. At least the fawn has a good chance to make it, a fetus does not. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #42
sharpstick35
Eight Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

when you hunt axis that breed year round fawns and fetuses are always an issue. when they are travelling in a herd of 30+ it makes things more difficult. the last one I shot had an older fawn in tow and was 3 months along with the next one.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #43
sbushee
Ten Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: The Outside
Default

I’d pass. Hamburger and steak is relatively cheap.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #44
Cstat_hunter
Eight Point
 
Cstat_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Kerr, Robertson, Brazos, and Milam Countys.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
when you hunt axis that breed year round fawns and fetuses are always an issue. when they are travelling in a herd of 30+ it makes things more difficult. the last one I shot had an older fawn in tow and was 3 months along with the next one.
I agree thatís a tough one but since whitetail are always on the same birthing schedule I like to use my doe tags early season. Iím not bashing anyone who shoots them late season if thatís how they like to do things then by all means go for it! Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer
Cstat_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #45
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point
 
Arrowflinger84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sanger
Hunt In: Spikezilla
Default

Shoot Doe feed family.......look out for #1 first. I dont hunt a lot of heavily populated areas for deer. When an opportunity arises and its a legal deer I shoot. I dont care what anyone says. Every place is different and not everyone has unlimited time in the stand. So if it were up to me and that was a mature doe, you need meat.....take it. I pay too much to hunt where I am at to not bring home some venison or bacon. Im sure a few on the green screen are in the same boat.
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Big enough to eat corn, big enough to be an orphan. Nothing wrong with the flavor of a lactating doe. I prefer it. Most fawns will be ejected from the momma's teat in a few short weeks anyway.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #47
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

I cant even kill a buck.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #48
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young
 
Dusty Britches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cameron & College Station
Default

The only thing about that - we've learned to not hunt / shoot does for 2 weeks from that stand after shooting a doe. It's too risky to end up shooting that older fawn thinking he/ she was a young doe, especially when hunting with a rifle.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #49
Aggie PhD
Ten Point
 
Aggie PhD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Granbury
Hunt In: North of US90
Default

I usually wait til it gets cooler. It is just too darn hot to clean something right now.

Shoot away.
Aggie PhD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #50
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
happy bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Liberty hill
Hunt In: mason county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on
X2
happy bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com