First point in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First point in January

I just booked 7 days at First Point for next January and I'm kinda worried about hunting that late in the season. Will the bucks be really spooky or their racks busted up? Does it tend to "green up" down there late in the season and keep the deer off the corn? I'm coming down from Michigan , a long trip so any input would be appreciated.

Our group has the whole ranch booked for four days in January next year. A couple of the guys from our group were there last weekend and it was still good. They seemed to think the bucks were moving better then than when we were there in November.

Comment

All I know is to book at first point you have to call at 8o am on Jan. 21st. They say it is fair that way. But by 9o am 1/2 of Nov all of Dec and 1/2 of Jan was booked. That is bull because that is not enough time to book all the dates. Also If a guy is taking a full week you should get some priority over a guy taking two days. Also In south texas on a ranch that uses a feed route, the price should be less than what you charge for the rut and a time during the season the deer hit the feed road. But what do they care, the rancher and friends get all the good weeks, and still get paid top $ for all the sh** weeks. I think you are on to something with your Question. Good luck and take your own lube.

Comment

First of all you needed to book on Jan. 22 not the 21st. They do fill up quick because people are not only calling but several go to there house in Sabinal. There are also many people who book for multiple weeks all at once. I was there in jan. at the same time as a group of that had booked for two weeks. So in that respect it is very easy to book up in 1 hour. Also what is a **** week? It looks like someone needs to make the best out of what is given to them.

Comment

First Point In Jan

We Were There In Jan This Past Year Saw Lots Of Bucks. Lots Of The Bucks We Saw Had Broke Horns. But It,s A Good Time To Be There.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzy man View Post
            We Were There In Jan This Past Year Saw Lots Of Bucks. Lots Of The Bucks We Saw Had Broke Horns. But It,s A Good Time To Be There.
            TO KILLEM ALL I 2ND WHAT YOU SAY . MIKE AND NANCY ARE GOOD PEOPLE. WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GO IN SOUTH TEXAS AND HAVE A CHANCE AT THE TYPE OF BUCKS THEY HAVE. FOR 140 DOLLARS A DAY WITH NO KILL FEE.

Comment

Well killem, you must be one of the friends. You are smarter than you look, the way you picked up on that mistake with the date. No one offered to give me anything, I would have had the last week of season and paid the same as you are for mid Dec. So are you telling me that they take the phone off the hook untill everyone at his house is booked?

And someone be honest with this guy. I e-mailed him, he has the last week of Jan. He is from out of state.
              The deer will be busted up.
              That time of year we get rain, if we get rain yes it will be green.

Comment

Hey muzzy, what week in January did you hunt? Did you shoot? Lots of bucks had broke horns and it was good because???? When hunting a ranch that trains deer to a feed road, conditions matter a lot. Ask Mike how many bucks get shot before Dec. Also ask how many get shot if things stay green. I know that is hunting. You say something about having a chance at a buck like they have, if you get bad dates on a ranch like they have your chance is not that good.
                As far as Mike and Nancy not being good people, never said that. But when you talk to him he tells you, you have to call, he never said be at my house.

Comment

Yankeeboy,
                  As you know, South Texas is a special place to hunt. IMO, I like hunting in Jan. better than Oct or Nov. I have not hunted First Pt., but have hunted the area for many years. Each month brings different hunting situations, and the weather always plays a part. Just listen to Mike, as he will be able to lead you with his suggestions. You will see some busted racks, but that typically indicates a fairly good herd balance. By Jan. the mature bucks will usually avoid the corned roads, but will be hanging close, hoping to intercept a late doe. The best thing you did was book 7 days...this gives you time to really hunt.
                  Just enjoy what the area has to offer, starting with the local mexican food and ending with the hunt. Good luck.

Comment

They do fill up quick because people are not only calling but several go to there house in Sabinal- killem all
                    Hillcohunter obviously you did not read my post correctly. I was also wondering what is a bad date?
                    Last edited by Killem all; 01-30-2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Hillcohunter

I Have Hunted First Point Last 3 Years. This Year I Got A Shot At A 11 Point That Would Go In The Mid 140. I Was Hunting Out Of A Popup Blind And Didn;t See A Lin In Front Of Him I Hit The Limb. I Have Hunted There In Dec11-17 One Year. Dec17-22 Another Year. Jan 6-12 This Year Have Alwayse Seen Lots Of Deer No Mater What Time Of Year. I Saw Lots Of Broke Horn Bucks In Jan. 2 Years Ago There Were 7 People In My Group 5 Bucks Shot 4 Found All From 130- 152 Class Mike Has Pictures On Wall To Prove It. I Am Booked This Year For Dec 17-23 I Have A Group Of 20 People Going I Called At 7;55 And Got In At 82 So He Does Book Like He Said He Does.

Comment

Muzzy Man if you have anybody back out message me

Comment

Killem All

I Will Contact You If I Have Any Back Out. I Will Put You On My List Of Back Ups. You Are #2 On The Back Up List

Comment

I think the place is pretty good no matter when you go. At least you are hunting in a area that you know has big deer for a fair price. At least the chance is there with this place.

Comment

Cool we have some good input now. See we like the fact that good bucks are their. But it would be a long week if you get maybe one shooter in range and it is broke off. Do any of you have a ranch you can suggest. We are looking for a ranch that you can get a week in Dec. and same rates. Not (brushy Hill) that ranch is one reason we are getting such a bad attitude for Texas bowhunting ranches.

If you are booked at a ranch in Dec. we will trade you our week at First point, it is the last week of season.

Comment

Working...
                              X