Clear All

Back from Africa Siswate Game Breeders & Hunting

South Africa July 2015:

Outfitter: Siswate Game Breeders & Hunting

PH: Christo Lamprecht

Owner: Charl Joubert

Weapon: Mathews Creed, Remington 260 and Thompson Contender

Arrows: FMJ Dangerous Game 300 full lengh and 340 Goldtips cut at 29”
    Broadheads: German Kinetic Silver Flames 180 gr, 175 gr Solids and 100 gr solids

Animals Seen: Cape Buffalo, Sable, Impala, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Golden Wildebeest, Nyala, Warthog, Ostrich, Eland, Zebra, Giraffe, Steinbok, Duiker, Monkey, Baboon, Waterbuck, Black Impala, Saddleback Impala, Gemsbok, Guinea Fowl, Bushbaby, and more birds than I can name.

Animals Harvested: Cape Buffalo, Sable, Ostrich, Kudu. Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Warthogs (6), Monkey (2)

I have been lucky enough to hunt South Africa four different times now and you don’t think that there is no way you can ever top the last one. Each time I have gone over it just seems to get better and better. I have hunted with the same PH all four times and we have become very good friends. He has a great passion for hunting and respect for the welfare of wildlife. He has a wonderful family that loves the bush and who I have become very close to. The owner of the farm has also become a good friend of mine and he also has a passion for the bush and all wildlife. He has built a lodge that is second to none and loves to see people have a great time.

From the first time that I hunted over there I had always wanted to take a Cape Buffalo and Sable but the finances just wouldn’t allow me to do it. When I hunted there in 2013 the owner of the farm asked me why I haven’t ever hunted a Cape Buffalo and I told him it was just out of my price range. Well before I left home he made me a heck of a deal on a buffalo, Sable hunt that I just couldn’t pass up.

On July 7th I headed to the Austin airport to start the long flight over to Africa but what made it so nice this time was my company upgraded me to first class over and back. This was the first time I had ever flown first class and let me tell you it is the only way to go on that 16 hour flight. I arrived at the Johannesburg airport the evening of July 8th refreshed and ready to go. Charl the owner and a good friend Daantjie picked me up and we headed to the lodge which is about 3 ½ hours north of Johannesburg in the Limpopo region.

On the first day of hunting we went to a blind that they had been seeing the buffalo coming to water but he hadn’t been coming till about 4:30 in the evenings. The funny thing about this buffalo was they hadn’t seen him in seven months they didn’t know if he was dead so they put some game cameras out and started get photos of him coming in at 2:00 am. He didn’t start coming to water in the day light till 4 days prior to my arrival. Well about 4:45 the first evening he come to water and stood quartering to me at 20 yds. I didn’t know that my heart could beat that hard and loud. After he stood that way for about 5 minutes he decided come closer, turn quartering away that is when I drew back and let it fly. I couldn’t have had a better feeling when I saw the arrow hit its mark and bury all the way up to the fletching. Christo my PH and I were both shaking uncontrollably, we waited about 45 minutes before we started up the track. We didn’t have to track very far because he only made it 100 yds. I can’t tell you how much pressure was lifted off me when we found the buffalo down. The arrow and broadhead combination worked like a charm. The arrow was a FMJ Dangerous Game 300 full length and the broadhead was a 180 gr German Kinetic Silver Flame, total weight was 810 grains. It center punched both the onside and offside ribs and was sticking out the opposite side shoulder. Christo made the call back to camp that the buffalo was down and then the celebration began. This has got to be the most exciting hunt I had ever been on. The buffalo just missed 40” by a ½” but what an incredible animal.

On the second day and after recovering from the buffalo hunt we went after the Sable. Sable I think are one of the most beautiful animals over there. When we got to the blind we had a couple of younger Sable come in and leave several times. It was starting to get late and I was having my doubts of the big one coming in. I no sooner thought that and Christo tapped me on the leg and told me to get my bow that the big Sable was coming. This time he come straight in to the water quartering way at 17 yds, it didn’t take long for me to draw and release the arrow. It was a complete pass thru both lungs and we were able to watch him fall about 80 yds away. On this hunt I used the Solid 175 gr broadhead and Gold Tip 340 arrow. I actually used this same arrow and broadhead on the Ostrich and Zebra without having to resharpen. He measured right at 38”s on both sides he also had 10” bases, just a big old heavy bull.

On the third day we took the morning off and caped the Sable out then that afternoon we stalked the Ostrich. We had to stalk him almost 3 miles before I was able to get a shot. When I got the shot he was facing me at 22 yds and I set the pin on him just like I was shooting a turkey in the V. the arrow hit its mark and went completely through the Ostrich. He wheeled to run but only made it about 5 steps before going down, he bled out in seconds.
    The fourth day we all kind of just relaxed and did a game drive just to see and take a lot of pictures. One of the most amazing things we witnessed was two giraffes fighting, it is unreal how much power and torque they have in those necks.

The fifth day we went for the Zebra, now the story behind the zebra was I had shot one with a rifle two years ago and hit him low. Well he survived and since I already paid for him two years ago they let me shoot another this year. A heard of Zebra come close to the water around 4:00 but just wouldn’t commit. It was starting to get late and the sun was going down and like a light switch they all come in, I was just going to take the first one that give me a shot. Finally one turned with a quartering away shot, I squeezed the release and again another pass thru but it broke my arrow. We watched him go straight away then lock up and fall over. This makes my third zebra but when I first started hunting over there I had now desire to shoot one until I seen one then I had to have one. When we walked up to him we realized that it was the same zebra I had shot two years ago, we couldn’t believe it.

The sixth day I hunted a Kudu that I had turned down two years prior because he was still soft at the bases. Well this year he was hard and put on a couple more inches so with a little negotiation on price we went after him. This time I switched broadheads to the 100 gr Solids. The wind was blowing all over the place and at a pretty good pace. We had been sitting in the blind for about four hours not seeing anything, another 30 minutes went by and we could see three bulls standing in the bush but they just wouldn’t come in with the wind blowing as hard as it was. Well a few more minutes went by and they all started to come in two of them stopped because they smelled us but the third one never slowed down. When he made it in Christo said it was the bull I was after. It was another quartering away shot at 20 yds with a double lung and complete pass thru. The bull only made it 60 yds before going down. He measured 57”s what a fantastic Kudu. I also got a great live picture of this bull when we went on the game drive.

On the seventh day we went to another farm about 15 miles north that was on the boarder of Botswana to shoot birds. The owner of that farm told us that the warthogs were tearing up his hay fields and that we should shoot everyone we saw. Daantjie brought his 260 Remington and we had one of the funnest days we had while I was there. I was able to shoot five pigs and two monkeys that day. I forgot to say back on the fourth day I spot and stalked a warthog on the river with Daantjie’s Thompson Contender and was able to make a shot on him at 80 yds.

The eighth day we traveled to a place that had all the big cats it was okay but I would rather see them out in the wild instead of being locked up. We still had a great time and was able to see a whole other part of Africa.
    The ninth day I was out of money so we just took it easy and took more pictures riding around. This place is amazing and have so many quality animals.

The tenth and last day the owner come up and surprised me in giving me a female Blue Wildebeest to shoot so I could have the skin and skull. So back out to another blind Christo and myself went. This time we didn’t have to sit long before several females come to water. I used the 100 gr Solid and again another complete pass thru with a short 60 yd tracking job.

I hope you all enjoy this and hope I can read your post after you get back from Africa. Here are a few pictures of the animals I was able to harvest and a few extras.
    Attached Files

Great write up and hunt, Congrats

Comment

What an awesome accomplishment! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up and congrats!

Comment

Wow! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up and awesome hunt! Congrats!

Comment

Nice haul!

You make it sound so easy, too!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                X