Mason buck down. Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason buck down. Part 1

Yes this is part one. I also shot another bigger buck and was going to try and pack them both into one thread but just couldn’t do it.

I was very optimistic going into the 2018 season. We had a bunch of good bucks on camera throughout the summer eating protein and using my new water guzzler. My wife had also surprised me and bought me a new krivoman blind and a timed protein head that I installed on a 55 gallon drum for the time being.

We headed to the lease Thursday night after work. The weather was going to be great for hunting. Slight drizzle and rain with a north wind. I was going to test how scent proof the krivoman was. The setup is 70 from the feeder on a little flat that I hand corn. It’s also set up for a south wind but I made a few mods to the blind and buried it under the ground about 8 inches the completely seal off the bottom.

Friday morning a 6.5 year old buck we call Poncho was at the feeder at first light and ended up running a few smaller bucks off the feeder but never made it to my hand corn. Deer activity was up though. I checked the trail cameras on the way out and saw that deer movement was almost all day with the rain and cooler temps so I headed back to the blind at 2:30. At 4:40 a young 10 came straight to the hand corn and began feeding. He kept looking back on the hill I glanced out the side window and just saw frame coming down the hill. It was Poncho. He walked straight into the hand corn directly downwind. I only had one window open on the blind with the ozonics pointed out so I had to wait until he got into that window. He was slightly quartered to me I put the pin in the shoulder and started pulling on my back tension release. The shot broke clean and I watched the arrow disappear through his shoulder. Smoked!!!!

I then went back to camp and got my wife to help track him and help in the recovery. We took the trail about a hundred yards and boom he explodes from his bed and takes off. What? Did I do something wrong? What just happened? We immediately left the area and called for a dog. Courtney aka Sika was on the way with Rowdy and arrived at the ranch in a couple hours. We put Rowdy on the track about 8:30 or so. The dog went to work and in a matter of a few minutes Courtney said well are you ready to see your deer?

He didn’t go that far from the original bed and was already stiff. The shot was way more quarter than I thought and the arrow exited at end of the rib cage. After cleaning him up I looked at the vitals. I had only got one lung and barely clipped the back of the other. Apparently I didn’t damage it too much and took out the liver.

Scored 131 5/8

Click image for larger version

Name:	5FFD2E58-6586-412C-980C-336DC8DCB985.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	25162428

Name:	E488D04D-D909-409D-8768-7204537CFEF5.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	25162429

Name:	59F3FEA3-8432-4B69-8BD9-4BA88AF524FA.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	25162430

And just a teaser for part 2. Stay tuned

Name:	FF3759AB-95A4-4073-AEE9-DEEE95D205D4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	25162431

Heck of a deer !!! I cant imagine what was going through your mind when you jumped him in the brush and he took off.......good call on bringing in the dog. Congrats!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the great buck and in for round 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good looking buck. Congrats

Comment

Very nice mason county buck!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Excellent deer!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great deer! Can’t wait to see the other. That place has some amazing genetics.

Comment

awesome. looks like you're having a dream season.

Comment

Congrats, that's a great buck.

Comment

Well Done.

-john

Comment

Nice buck. congrats

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X