Garner State Park Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner State Park Camping

We, my wife, kids, and I, are planning a family camping trip at Garner State Park. I have never been there and do not know any pros and cons of the place.
    Looking for any info any of y'all could give. I heard to take everything you need because there is nothing around for like and hour. Not sure if this is true just saying. I also heard from looking around online that you will not get any cell service our there. Again, not sure if this is true. Still just saying. Looking forward to it and making some memories with the kids.

Thank you for any info, advice, or pics in advance.

When are you planning on going?

Comment

We go every summer and we usually do all our grocery shopping at the HEB in Hondo. You can find stuff at the gas stations but it’s marked up pretty good and choices are limited.
      ATT cell service works good. The park has a lot to offer but we don’t camp there, we usually rent a house near by and go to the park during the day. My wife handles this trip but I believe we buy a year around State Park pass and it comes out cheaper to access the park. IMHO Garner would be a lot better place to camp if they charged a lot more.

Comment

Cell service is spotty unless you are on top of one of the main hills (like old baldy, etc) There is a really good park store with plenty of essentials. They have a laundromat, etc. Major groceries, pick up at HEB in nearest town on way in (like Uvalde...)

The place is beautiful and lots of hiking, fishing, etc to be had.

Love the place and look forward to going back... when we can (everytime we go to look they are booked... and for a reason!)

Comment

The only park I have been too that has you take a number to check in and out... it is really that popular... so plan on check-in to take up to an hour during peak times. (like Friday!)

Comment

Yep my point about when because in the summer it is packed to the gills. If you are coming from Austin don't go to Uvalde to get groceries that takes you 20 minutes too far west. Stop in Hondo or in SA. If you need firewood One stop in Sabinal has some. I hear its good firewood!!

Comment

Great looking truck!

Comment

if you have AT&T you should be good for cell service. Like was stated earlier, buy big food needs at HEB in Hondo or in Uvalde depending on which way you go to get there. There is a park store where you can get just about anything camping related that you might find yourself in need of. It will be pricey, but if you need something that the park store doesn't have, drive into Leakey which is the closest town and you can probably find it at The Leakey Mercantile. Depending on when you go Winter and Fall, I'd stay in old Garner as you will be closer to the store and whatever extra curricular's you might want to do. If you go in Spring or summer, I'd stay in the Persimmon Hill camping loop or somewhere near the north end of the park as that time of year it will be crowded and not as laid back and relaxing

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                  When are you planning on going?
                  Probably next month some time.

Comment

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
                    Probably next month some time.

Should be good this time of year. River is on another rise as we speak!! lots lots of water right now.

Comment

How is the hiking around there? Are the trails pretty well laid out or is it just natural woods? I don't want to get into any questionable situations with the kids that may turn them off to being outdoors.

Comment

Some good hikes in the park. The Baldy hike is usually packed but you can find good trails that hardly anyone uses.

I for one don't think I'll ever go back to that park unless I get drawn for a Hunt (Got an axis out there about ten years ago). Way to crowded. Graffiti and trash everywhere. The Park Staff just can't keep up with it, especially during the summer. It may be different in the winter though. But, if you have never been there it is worth a trip, just to check it off the list.

Comment

Climbing Mount Baldy is a must. I normally stay across the river at Parkview Riverside RV. They are across Mager's crossing directly across from Garner. They have a nice store and can give you a map up to Lost Maples and then back. It is a beautiful drive out of Leakey over the mountain to Lost Maples then back thru Utopia. Great hiking trails in Lost Maples State Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            Some good hikes in the park. The Baldy hike is usually packed but you can find good trails that hardly anyone uses.

I for one don't think I'll ever go back to that park unless I get drawn for a Hunt (Got an axis out there about ten years ago). Way to crowded. Graffiti and trash everywhere. The Park Staff just can't keep up with it, especially during the summer. It may be different in the winter though. But, if you have never been there it is worth a trip, just to check it off the list.
                            The summer is ridiculous...and yes I hate what the crowd is doing to the park...RAISE THE PRICES DRAMATICALLY and this will stop soon. Hire more patrol officers with the increase in entry fees.
                            The way it is now I will never camp in that park again. We stay across the river at Parkview

Comment

It's a nice park, I think the fall would be a good time to go if you are concerned about crowds. My wife and daughter went last fall with their American Heritage Girls troop. I helped haul some stuff there and back (Friday/Sunday.) We also took a day trip there about a week before on a Sunday. It didn't seem all that crowded to me. This was in October.

Comment

Working...
                              X