De railed today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De railed today...

Strange...My Hoyt Nitrum 30 derailed today. Sounded almost like a dry fire. The string isn't broke, but it's ruined.. shooting at 40 yards, and the arrow went into the bullseye! I expected the arrow to lost somewhere. Still wondering what caused it. String is about a year and a half old, was in decent shape, I usually wax it about once every two weeks, more often if I shoot a lot. Trying to figure out what caused it.??

The string is ruined or the whole bow?

Gary

Comment

Just the string appears to be ruined. I've checked the limbs, they look fine, the cams look fine, unless I'm overlooking something, The cables are still on the bow... Don't mind replacing the string, just that I'm at a loss as to what caused it. Don't see how I could have inadvertently torqued the bow and the arrow still flew true?

Comment

Shirt tail might have got caught in cam string groove. I had that happen.

Comment

[QUOTE=White Falcon;14818257]Shirt tail might have got caught in cam string groove. I had that happen

What do you mean??

Comment

May not be the same thing, but I’ve done something similar letting down. I use a thumb release and must have torqued it enough to de rail it. But i ran it over to a shop everything was fine and they were able to just put it back on for me.

Where my experience was different, was that the arrow flew about 5 feet. Crazy you still hit the bullseye. Unless that isn’t normal, ha!!

When you say the string didn’t break but is ruined, is it frayed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhnter01 View Post
              May not be the same thing, but I’ve done something similar letting down. I use a thumb release and must have torqued it enough to de rail it. But i ran it over to a shop everything was fine and they were able to just put it back on for me.

Where my experience was different, was that the arrow flew about 5 feet. Crazy you still hit the bullseye. Unless that isn’t normal, ha!!

When you say the string didn’t break but is ruined, is it frayed?
              Yes, it's frayed pretty bad. It will have to be replaced. And this is the second time I have had a de-rail in the last couple of years. Yes, the first time was a loose fitting "fishing" shirt in a breeze, a corner of the shirt tail got between the cam and string. That was on a Mathews bow, and it ruined the string and one cam. This time, I have no good reason? If the arrow still went where I aimed it at 40 yards, that pretty much rules out torquing, I'd think?

Comment

Working...
              X