Rusty gas tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty gas tank.

So i got an old fixer upper honda. Rusty tank. Asked on here what yal suggested rather than pay 125-150 for a new tank. Someone suggested the battery charger method. So I watched a few YouTube videos and I am trying it. No stainless or brass. Steel or iron is ok. Baking soda and water. Negative on the tank. Positive on the electrode. Let the charger do the work. We will see how it goes.

In for results

Comment

ok?

Comment

I'm in. Heard about this never googled it or you tubed. Curious for the ending

Comment

Tagged. I'm curious how this turns out.

Comment

Have used electrolysis before, not on a tank. Cleaned up some old knives real well.
            Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
              Have used electrolysis before, not on a tank. Cleaned up some old knives real well.
              Good luck!

Good to hear! The videos looked ok. Figured it was already rusted. Worth a try. Right?

Comment

Ok so I let it sit for about 11 hours and checked it this morning. Seems like a couple more sessions and a water hose or pressure washer and it should do the trick. This is what it looked like this morning.

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

There is some stuff at Dollar general called "it works". Its a toilet bowl type cleaner, very cheap (think its $1.50) and works VERY GOOD. I used it on a rearend i had sitting out back for my drag car. Put the whole bottle in, fill the rest with water, and let it sit for a couple hours then rinse it out.. Way faster than the battery method and just as good, if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnT View Post
                      There is some stuff at Dollar general called "it works". Its a toilet bowl type cleaner, very cheap (think its $1.50) and works VERY GOOD. I used it on a rearend i had sitting out back for my drag car. Put the whole bottle in, fill the rest with water, and let it sit for a couple hours then rinse it out.. Way faster than the battery method and just as good, if not better.

Never heard of that but my wife is always going to the DG. Maybe I'll try that out too. If anything Atleast for a final rinse.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
                        Never heard of that but my wife is always going to the DG. Maybe I'll try that out too. If anything Atleast for a final rinse.
                        For $1.50 its definately worth a shot. On my readend i siliconed some aluminum to cap the ends, i came out a couple hours later and got a bit mad. I thought my wife or kids were playing with it and dumped out the "solution". Upon further investigation i found that it ate threw the thin piece of aluminum i used... Rinsed it out and WOW

Comment

If that still doesn't cut it, we always used a kit with acid to etch the tank and a second material to re-coat the interior. We did a bunch like that and they never gave us any more problems after the fact. The re-coat is important to make sure it doesn't rust again.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                            If that still doesn't cut it, we always used a kit with acid to etch the tank and a second material to re-coat the interior. We did a bunch like that and they never gave us any more problems after the fact. The re-coat is important to make sure it doesn't rust again.
                            Never thought of that/ Good thinkin.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                              Tagged. I'm curious how this turns out.

Yep

Comment

Working...
                              X