Aoudad Euro Mount - How to do it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad Euro Mount - How to do it???

This last december my son shot a nice aoudad ram. I have do several euro mounts with deer but I have been told that aoudad (sheep) are different because they have true horns and not antlers. I was cautioned not to boil them because the horns would come off. Any advise and how to to this euro mount???

Mine has turned out incredible..... about to build the wood to put the mount on this weekend to really finish it up

Comment

I think you want to get the horns off, otherwise all the stuff inside of them will rot and stink for ever. I'd bury it or hang it where the ants can get to it and clean it up.

Comment

To get the horns of the bone cores, you have to "sweat" them off. Put the skinned head in a black trash bag in the sun and tie it off. It takes time, more than just a couple of days. When they are ready- they slide off easy as pie.

TexasTaxi has a great thread going on right now, very informative. Check it out and follow his steps.

Comment

The horns MUST come off. There is meat between the horn and the bone core that will rot and stink if you don't get it all out.

There are a few ways to do this. The General mentioned one, above ... put them in a trash bag, with a little water, and let them sit until the flesh rots and the horns slip off the cores.

Or, since the weather is nice and warm, submerge the whole skull in a bucket or tote of water and wait a few weeks. The horns will come off, along with all the meat on the skull.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            Or, since the weather is nice and warm, submerge the whole skull in a bucket or tote of water and wait a few weeks. The horns will come off, along with all the meat on the skull.
            I bet that's ripe!

Comment

ive never done one myself, but from what others have said, they seem to know the rt way to go! good luck

Comment

If they don't slip off after sweating them, use a rubber mallet to knock them off. Don't be afraid to break them, they won't. This also works well with dried on horns.

Comment

I followed some of these guys' advice and mine turned out awesome. Good luck!

Comment

good looking mount rt there

Comment

Nice work

Comment

I just finished two rams last week and skinned two more Tuesday. I am currently "sweating" the horns off now. This is the second day so hopefully they will be ready to slip off this evening so I can start macerating the skulls.

I run a knife under the horn when skinning to try and separate the horn from the core. A mallet works wonders to get them broken loose enough to come off. I have used an oil filter wrench a few times as leverage to twist horns off. Works great! LOL

Comment

That is sweet, I need one myself!

Comment

Ive got 2 ram heads that have been brewing in water for 2 weeks now. Im going to pull them out this weekend and see if the horns will come off yet. They have a great smell that my wife loves

Comment

Very very cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X