No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CX hunter 350's with 100grTerminal T's. 410gr at 285fps shooting 57lbs.

Comment

back door for Colorado elk tag is open, you can see if you drew first choice by checking your preference points.
      I'm up to 8 preference points, no tag yet.

Comment

Drew Colorado unit 62 deer archery. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by ross View Post
          Drew Colorado unit 62 deer archery. Can't wait!
          oooh, mixed thoughts on that tag.
          I've hunted that unit at least 4 different years for elk or mule deer and it can be tough to find a good buck with the lack of high country that is compatible for glassing.
          You going to focus on the north half of the unit?
          Dominguez canyon and Brushy ridge?

Comment

We will be staying in the northern part right by Dominguez and Brushy. Luckily we will have access to public as well as private (Escalante). We are going third week of archery for catching the elk in rut(hopefully). I'd rather be up there Sept. 1 for deer though. Thinking about getting a bear tag too.

Comment

Current preference points
              elk 1
              deer 11

No first choice tag for me. Will have to wait to see on 2nd and 3rd choices.

Good luck ROSS!

Comment

Drew my Unit 49 Archery Elk Tag!!!

Does anybody have experience with that unit?

Comment

Heads up! There is a 3d elk target for sale in the 3d tournament forum for $220 Brett C and I bought the other one they had. It will be a great way to practice judging yardage before September!

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                    Heads up! There is a 3d elk target for sale in the 3d tournament forum for $220 Brett C and I bought the other one they had. It will be a great way to practice judging yardage before September!
                    I'm interested but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

Good snag....Been looking at that unit to burn my Elk points on. How many points did you draw with?

Did some research on access points and areas that looked good via GE. I can't find my notes right now but will do some digging. I did find a note to check out his packer/drop camp outfitter if I ever drew. http://www.halfmoonpacking.com/hunting . Depends on how cush you want it but if it is as rugged as people say the $325 pack out sounds like a good deal to me.

The word on that unit is it's steep and rugged but that definition is relative. Saw success rates drop drastically in 2010 and 2011 but you can't use that stat by itself. I believe this unit hit the magazines in 2010 which may attribute to the success drops as non-savy Elk hunters may have started burning points expecting to see Bulls behind every tree. The total population has been declining and CO dropped tags last year.

Depending on when you are going you will have to deal with quite a few smokepole hunters and some deer archers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

Nice dude!!! Congrats on the tag.

How come I'm always left out in the cold??? Everyone else draws tags and I get PPs and kicking pine cones down the hill with all the other guys with OTC tags. Dang it! Oh well, nobody likes going where I go anyway. Seems like the elk don't either. Ha ha ha

Congrats to everyone who drew.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                          Good snag....Been looking at that unit to burn my Elk points on. How many points did you draw with?

Did some research on access points and areas that looked good via GE. I can't find my notes right now but will do some digging. I did find a note to check out his packer/drop camp outfitter if I ever drew. http://www.halfmoonpacking.com/hunting . Depends on how cush you want it but if it is as rugged as people say the $325 pack out sounds like a good deal to me.

The word on that unit is it's steep and rugged but that definition is relative. Saw success rates drop drastically in 2010 and 2011 but you can't use that stat by itself. I believe this unit hit the magazines in 2010 which may attribute to the success drops as non-savy Elk hunters may have started burning points expecting to see Bulls behind every tree. The total population has been declining and CO dropped tags last year.

Depending on when you are going you will have to deal with quite a few smokepole hunters and some deer archers as well.
                          Don't be knocking on those non-savy Elk Hunters LOL I saw one Bull within range last year and I thought I was hunting hard! I am DETERMINED this year. Not that I wasn't last year but I really have a fire under my butt now.

I drew with four points. I was to the point that I had enough to get 49 too much for a 1st Rifle tag in an OTC unit, and I don't have any interest in chasing 76 until I am 60.

Unit 49 looks relatively 'gentle' compared to where I was at last year. Of course that is an extremely relative term and walking across flat ground at 11000 feet can be challenging if your carrying a pack.

Thanks for the link man. I am gonna check it out.

Comment

Yeah 4-5 points in CO gets you into that grey area and there is no light until 76 and then 61 if you dare.

Will be very interested to hear about the caliber of Bulls in there. From the pics I've seen I think you will be able to effectively use your glass in there.

Comment

We drew 49 in N.M. This will be our 3rd year in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X