The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the BackCountry Hunters...

I Ran across an interesting semi-local source for backpack meals.. "Packitgourmet".. Has anyone tried their stuff?

I was looking around for something besides the normal "Mountain House".. Idahoan Potatoes.. Came across these guys in AUSTIN, TX..!

I noticed they also sell small packets of condiments, cholula, etc. (in case you don't collect enough at your neighborhood Whataburger, etc..)

PackitGourmet

Comment

For you guys that applied in WY....Department says the Non-res Elk results will be available at 8am MST tomorrow 2/20.

This may be the link but it may change for the new results. Check the WY website.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LightManSA View Post
        For the BackCountry Hunters...

I Ran across an interesting semi-local source for backpack meals.. "Packitgourmet".. Has anyone tried their stuff?

I was looking around for something besides the normal "Mountain House".. Idahoan Potatoes.. Came across these guys in AUSTIN, TX..!

I noticed they also sell small packets of condiments, cholula, etc. (in case you don't collect enough at your neighborhood Whataburger, etc..)

PackitGourmet
        Thanks for that link, I will have to order some of these and see how they taste compared to the mountain house meals.

Comment

Has anyone tried this pack?

Innovative and patented outdoor gear designs from a veteran and Olympian with unrivaled versatility and durability. Eberlestock modular systems are built for the dedicated outdoorsman, the tactical operator, and the shooting enthusiast. Get Out There •••

I need a day type pack that can hold enough supplies for the day and if you kill one you can get a head start by bringing a portion of your harvest out on the 1st trip.

Their bigger packs are nice but a little too heavy for just a day pack.

Comment

Be careful with Eberlestock if you have a longer Torso...it won't matter much in day mode but if you put 50#s of Elk in it your shoulders will likely know about it.

For longer Torso try the Badlands 2200. I have a 21.5" Torso and it handled an Elk load just fine.

You can also check out the used market....You can probably get a KUIU ICON 3000 in the $300 range which would likely be superior and lighter than that Eberle.

Comment

That badlands pack looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Comment

They just had both the 2200 and 2800 on Camofire recnetly. You might email them and see if they still have any or more coming up. Both can be found on used market for good deals as well.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  For you guys that applied in WY....Department says the Non-res Elk results will be available at 8am MST tomorrow 2/20.

This may be the link but it may change for the new results. Check the WY website.

Good Luck!
                  Let the anticipation begin. I will be in line with everyone else in the morning with crossed fingers.

Comment

I felt like running the other day, but I sat down till the feeling went away. HA!

Just kidding. I did 3 miles with a 30 pound pack 2 days ago and I held up okay. Trying to keep the pack weight under 55 pounds this year and that includes all my gear, food, bow and arrows.

Good luck.

Comment

Some of you might be interested in this RMEF-outfitter controversy:

Well, since the last four days of my life have been made very difficult by a few fringe elements in the Montana Outfitter and Guides Association (MOGA), I am going to post what has been going on. Makes me wonder if all the MOGA members know a few of their leaders are willing to use their...

Comment

No WY elk for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-20-2013 8-54-34 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	24171976

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                          No WY elk for me.

[ATTACH]459614[/ATTACH]
                          I got the same unsuccessful, but this is just the first of many, just have to hit one.

Comment

I got drawn just for cow elk south of Casper, Wyoming. Its a place I normally mule deer hunt but I thought I would try elk in November to see what its like up there then. I'll be curious to see what type of mule deer come out of the woods after season during the rut.
                            Applying for another preference point this Summer, couple more years and I'll have enough points to draw a bull elk.

Comment

Colorado deadline is April 2nd, regulations available online now.

Comment

is it too late to put in for hunts in NM, WY and CO? I have never put in for the draw and would like to try my luck on NM, WY and CO? Do I just go to their parks and wildlife website?

Comment

Working...
                                X