No announcement yet.

Sausage Makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the past few years I have trimmed less and less and haven't noticed any difference in the flavor. I still remove large chunks of fat or tendon but I don't bother with trimming anything past that on meat that gets ground up anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
      what are you guys using for grinders? 3/4hp?
      I use a #12 Kitchener 3/4hp that I bought from Northern Tool and Equipment 8 years ago for $99.00. They used to have them on sale around Christmas every year for the same price. Now they have a different brand called Huntrite. Its still on sale for $79.00. Normally $119.00 which what the Kitcheners were.

Comment

I trim all of my deer the way my dad taught me 50 years ago. 'If you don't want to eat it, cut it off'

Comment

Cabela’s 1HP

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Cabela’s 1HP

Does it keep up with everything you throw at it? I’m looking at either upgrading to a commercial unit or building my own grinder and using a stand alone stuffer.

Comment

To me it depends on the cut of meat... some areas I trim more than others

Comment

Weston #32 2hp.

I trim off all hard fat and the thicker silver skin and basically anything hard. I don’t get too carried away with smaller connective tissue, but a bunch gets caught wrapped around the auger near the blade of the grinder. I pop the plate out every so often and clean it out.

Comment

I remove the deer fat at first then we start making the sauce.

Comment

What Jeremy said,
                    How do the processors do it? For a comparison.

Comment

I remove everything , at the end of the day my goal is to see red! No white/ silver skin!!!
                      Made some summer sausage / burgers yesterday! MMMMM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Weston #32 2hp.

I trim off all hard fat and the thicker silver skin and basically anything hard. I don’t get too carried away with smaller connective tissue, but a bunch gets caught wrapped around the auger near the blade of the grinder. I pop the plate out every so often and clean it out.
                        Same here Well drained /Ice cold and grind...I got a LEM 3/4 big bite been a great machine..not saying its the best but Its been great ...

Comment

On average for North Tx area how many pounds of grind meat do you guys get off a average size doe? that's excluding the backstraps and tenderloin.

Comment

Do a test batch of trimming it less and see if you can tell the difference. I'm bad about making a recipe change or whatever and doing a big batch of it and not liking it.

I trim off on the super heavy connective tissue. It is not chewy after grinding. I do grind mine twice. Once coarse. Once medium.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              I'd like to help out at a processing facility for a day just to see how they do it because most of the time their sausage turns out good.
                              One of the guys I hunted with worked at a processor during the season. He does 20+ deer per day. So I doubt he is as meticulous as most of us when we process our own.

Comment

Working...
                              X