Predator Trapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    We have all kids of "plans" on how to release a deer, but all that goes out when you see a deer thrashing around. The best plan I have seen is to run in and bear hug it and hope it doesn't have horns.
    That sounds interesting...and not something I really want to do lol

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    Don't use rebar stakes with short cables. They will get pulled out.
    So far all the snares I've put out I have anchored to either t post or sturdy wire on the fence itself. If I start foot traps away from fences I would try to anchor to trees or maybe put a t post in the ground.

Comment

I know NOTHING about snares, but don't, PLEASE don't use poison! It's been a lot of years past but my late Father came close to killing the land owner he leased from for years after 3 of his Pointers died from poisoning for yotes!

Of course there is always a story and here it is....

This was near Post, TX and anyone who has ever hunted there knows there are ample populations of Coyotes. Problem, we were quail hunting, got home and ended up with 3 dogs dead! Dam Rancher had killed an old horse, poisoned the meat to kill the Yotes and Dad ended up with 3 dead dogs...oh, of course the land owner never told my Dad what he had done.

To this day, I'm still amazed my Dad did NOT at least whip his A.. or worse! Poison is even worse than snares and I am NOT a fan of snares by any means. Just my 2cents!

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
        That sounds interesting...and not something I really want to do lol

So far all the snares I've put out I have anchored to either t post or sturdy wire on the fence itself. If I start foot traps away from fences I would try to anchor to trees or maybe put a t post in the ground.
        My brother and I have had to release 1, that durn yearling doe had the snare pulled down just about the back of her mouth, I think that's the only reason she didn't bite both of us cause she did just about everything else a critter could do to hurt somebody.

Tie off to enough fences and your gonna have do some fence repairs, you'll get better results with long snares or cable extensions staked away from the fence with a tangle stake or mesquite bush close. Coyotes and big coons are notorious for threading snare cable through net fencing.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
          I know NOTHING about snares, but don't, PLEASE don't use poison! It's been a lot of years past but my late Father came close to killing the land owner he leased from for years after 3 of his Pointers died from poisoning for yotes!

Of course there is always a story and here it is....

This was near Post, TX and anyone who has ever hunted there knows there are ample populations of Coyotes. Problem, we were quail hunting, got home and ended up with 3 dogs dead! Dam Rancher had killed an old horse, poisoned the meat to kill the Yotes and Dad ended up with 3 dead dogs...oh, of course the land owner never told my Dad what he had done.

To this day, I'm still amazed my Dad did NOT at least whip his A.. or worse! Poison is even worse than snares and I am NOT a fan of snares by any means. Just my 2cents!
          I hear ya. If I did do poison it would only be on our place and the only dogs on our place are mine. We don't lease so I know exactly who/when/etc. is on the place. My thought would be to do hot dogs or something similar and throw them out Sunday before leaving. I would also do this away from cabin as when my dogs are down they don't go too far from the cabin. I doubt I will ever do poison but it would be done with pets, etc in mind.

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
          Tie off to enough fences and your gonna have do some fence repairs, you'll get better results with long snares or cable extensions staked away from the fence with a tangle stake or mesquite bush close. Coyotes and big coons are notorious for threading snare cable through net fencing.
          The second coyote had wrapped herself around the wire and post multiple times. It was a little bit of a chore to untangle her so I definitely see what you are saying.

Comment

Working...
          X