Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own a 16' G3 Aluminum boat with a 37HP Gator Tail on the back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you like the combination of the hull with the motor?

I am looking at a boat this weekend with only 6 hours on the motor so I want to make sure that this combination will work well. I want a mud motor to run rivers and flooded portions of the local lakes during duck season, primarily. Although, I could see myself using this setup down at the coast in the bays with its skinny water ability. I have always heard that these hulls are made for outboards and not necessarily for mud motors so I'm looking for any input that you guys can give me!

Thanks fellow TexasBowhunters!

Honeslty I wouldn’t do it. You will end up tearing that boat up, have slow speeds, and will get hung on every dang stump, mud, and sand bar there is. You need a slick bottom boat honestly. Also, I believe that boat is either .90 or .100....I recommend 3/16 on the bottom. G3 boats are awesome for the lakes and deep rivers....not skinny water or back water.

Comment

That motor is somewhere around 245 lbs, it won’t balance well on a 16’ boat (I’m assuming 48” bottom width). Unless you can get the whole package for 50-60% of what the motor costs I’d stay away because you’d likely be looking for a new hull shortly after the purchase.

Comment

Just buy the gator tail off him. Then go get u a true mud hull boat. Then hop the hooty out of that motor and you ll fly like the wind. I'd pass or see if he would be interested in selling the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
          Honeslty I wouldn’t do it. You will end up tearing that boat up, have slow speeds, and will get hung on every dang stump, mud, and sand bar there is. You need a slick bottom boat honestly. Also, I believe that boat is either .90 or .100....I recommend 3/16 on the bottom. G3 boats are awesome for the lakes and deep rivers....not skinny water or back water.
          Okay, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by agtex42 View Post
            That motor is somewhere around 245 lbs, it won’t balance well on a 16’ boat (I’m assuming 48” bottom width). Unless you can get the whole package for 50-60% of what the motor costs I’d stay away because you’d likely be looking for a new hull shortly after the purchase.
            It has a 52" bottom but I don't think that will balance the motor as well as a longer boat. I appreciate your input. I am going to see how much more he is willing to work with me!

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
              Just buy the gator tail off him. Then go get u a true mud hull boat. Then hop the hooty out of that motor and you ll fly like the wind. I'd pass or see if he would be interested in selling the motor.
              That's what I am thinking about doing at this point! Thanks for the input!

Comment

It's not necessarily the length of the boat, it's the fact that the hull is not intended for that kind of motor. If u want an actual mud motor ie surface drive like a gator tail then your gona nef a true mud hull boat to make the application jive together. I run a 1754 excel f86 w a 55mag mud buddy. Very well balanced and extremely stable.

Comment

I had a pro drive on flat bottom boat, it was ok but not being a slick bottom boat really hurts the performance. When(not if) you stick it on a shallow spot it will be a bear to get it off if you don't have a slick bottom boat.

Comment

It's not necessarily the length of the boat, it's the fact that the hull is not intended for that kind of motor. If u want an actual mud motor ie surface drive like a gator tail then your gona nef a true mud hull boat to make the application jive together. I run a 1754 excel f86 w a 55mag mud buddy. Very well balanced and extremely stable.
                    Awesome, thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      I had a pro drive on flat bottom boat, it was ok but not being a slick bottom boat really hurts the performance. When(not if) you stick it on a shallow spot it will be a bear to get it off if you don't have a slick bottom boat.
                      Okay, that's what I was thinking would be the biggest issue is when it gets stuck somewhere. I appreciate the advice!!

Comment

Theres a guy in Tarkington tx. Bayou surface drives, he ll build the mess out of that motor to get it to fly. Mud motors are now up to a 43 block size but your also talking 10k for the motor for a new one. You can build a 37 into a monster though. I'd try to find out if the 37 on the gt has any engine mods done to it. Report back b4 u buy it

Comment

Theres a guy in Tarkington tx. Bayou surface drives, he ll build the mess out of that motor to get it to fly. Mud motors are now up to a 43 block size but your also talking 10k for the motor for a new one. You can build a 37 into a monster though. I'd try to find out if the 37 on the gt has any engine mods done to it. Report back b4 u buy it
                          I'll keep this in mind, thanks. It has zero mods on it and only 6-7 hours so that's why I'm most interested in it!

Comment

That price seems high if I found the right one! Especially for a boat that has sit up mostly for 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                              That price seems high if I found the right one! Especially for a boat that has sit up mostly for 4 years.
                              What do you mean? 10k for a performance built mm?

The gentleman is willing to sell me his 2015 37hp Gator Tail alone for $6,500. No mods and only 6-7 hours. What do you all think about that? I'm trying to keep it at or under $6,000.

Comment

Working...
                              X