Tracking help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking help

Quick question. What does a tracking dog need to find a shot deer? And how much do they cost to hire one?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cost wise will vary depending on the dog. have seen trackers charge hundreds of dollars and others just looking to work their animals.

Comment

I shot a buck this morning and I have been all over and cant find a spec of blood. Last I saw he was running off with my arrow stuck in his side

Comment

Most are $300 to show up and $2-300 if they find the deer

Comment

When a deer is injured apparently they realease some hormones from there feet as they run. Blood helps but is t needed

Comment

Good luck, in for recovery. Did you shoot the buck from the other thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
              Good luck, in for recovery. Did you shoot the buck from the other thread?
              No. I still haven't seen him in person and he hasn't been on camera in a couple days. This one came in, was legal, had no idea I was there, and it's my birthday so I said why not. And now he just vanished.

Comment

Cool man a dogs doesn’t need blood to find your deer. Happy birthday! Hope you find him

Comment

Thanks man me too

Comment

I have not charged. I also only have helped close friends and had to turn a good friend down twice this year because i have too many projects.

My dog does not need blood. I have tried my best to train her to only follow the track/blood trail. But her nose catches scents in the wind and she leaves the track. I have a mutt/curr dog someone dumped on our place. She is a sweet heart but never thought she would be good for anything. She took to tracking with Jenna immediately. I have learned to just trust and follow Jenna. She knows what she smells and knows what she is out there for. She has found blood at least a mile away in the opposite direction from what the hunter said the deer was at and two other tracking dogs had been thru already. I cant argue with her. She always does her part and shows me i am wrong.

If you have friends with dogs, or have a few dogs and dont have someone that will track for you, or dont have the extra money to pay. Get those dogs out there. You will be surprised. Their nose's and their ability to get back into deep brush and cover way more area than you can will help. I would take a dumb dog's help over no dog any day. Never met a dog that did not sniff a hand or a butt. They all use their noses.
                    Last edited by Dirtymike; 11-26-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace141 View Post
                      I shot a buck this morning and I have been all over and cant find a spec of blood. Last I saw he was running off with my arrow stuck in his side

My dog is trained to track a specific deer. I train with just hooves, as well as blood, hide, etc. Each tracker is different in pricing. My young pup is free, she is just now training, but should find deer at this point. Blood makes it easier, but not necessary. You walking around the area will make it harder for a dog. Cause the scent will get on your shoes as well and contaminate the area. Alot of times will confuse some dogs for sure. Coming from a tracking stand point. Get on Unitedbloodtrackers.org and search for a tracker. If you want me to post your name and number I will in our group.

Comment

Good luck. Search the dog tracking list and make some calls. It's worth it to find your deer.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          Most are $300 to show up and $2-300 if they find the deer
                          Dang, now that is high. I have yet to see anybody this high in the tracking community. But, for a buck of a lifetime I would have no problem paying. $100 to show up and $100-$200 if found, is what i have seen alot. So $200-$300 if found. Not arguing just what I have seen as well.

Comment

A tracking dog needs a badly disabled or dead deer in order to find it. Blood is not necessary. I do believe some dogs know by the scent a deer releases whether or not its in fear of dying. if these dogs do not smell that even with blood on the ground they may not show interest in tracking. Cost is anywhere from free to 4-_600$. I would definitely call someone if I thought I made a fatal hit. Good luck.

Comment

small price to pay for to recover a buck IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X