Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX
Default School me on Raising pigs

Momma and I think it would be cute/delicious to have a couple pink pigs running around the yard. They will eventually end up as bacon and pan sausage, and the fat will keep us from buying Boston butts next fall.

I have never owned or cared for a pig in my life. Can the braintrust give me a starting point?? Can I buy a piglet and let her run around the yard and dump some feed every couple days for her??

Seems too simple of a plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

They will root up your yard. They stink and are destructive when they get bigger. Better have a good fence too. You can feed them like a dog though. They will also follow you around like a dog when they are young.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
NDN98
Eight Point

I woulds scrap the idea of having the run around the yard, because you will not have much of a yard left if that is your plan. I would build a pig pen with hog panels with some type of covering where they can get out of the elements. Make sure your t posts are secured deep because they can root those out too.
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I have pigs now . They are delicious. Right now they at a pain . They have rooted my cattle panel fence up . Pulled the t-post out of the ground . Can’t keep them in the pen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Go to Kroger or HEB!! Problem solved. Pigs are to be raised in the back pasture due to the stink and destruction.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Don’t rent them out.
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
Don’t rent them out.
uva uvam vivendo varia fit
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Kbar
Eight Point

I have done lots of reading up on this over the past several months. There is a lot of information out there on it.
Basically, there are 3 types of pork raisers.
Commercial - this is the volume producers that have "hog farms". The animals are pretty much raised in a 10x10 area or less.
Show Raisers - These are raised under a little more square footage but are primarily raised for exhibition purposes. There are some that are outfall or "culls" to be had from that type of raiser, but from what I have seen the initial investment is along the price point of what heritage animals are.
Heritage Raisers - these are the types of hogs that were initially raised primarily on grazing, rooting, and foraging. They each have their own differences in meat, but in a nutshell, they produce what is considered better tasting table fare and not bland like the commercial or even freshly culled- feed raised pigs.

Rotational grazing was the common denominator in pasture raising any of the breeds. You are gonna have to have a series of pastures or areas to rotate them into and keep their numbers limited in order to avoid the issues of smell and excessive rooting. One article I read told about using your free choice feeder as an indicator of when to move them to the next pasture. It wasn't a lot of feed per animal either because they primarily find their own food and use bagged feed as a supplement only.

Good luck in hat you decide.
Kbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I pasture raise mine and then feed them pointy sticks.

Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

I had three sows many years ago and bred them to the neighbors Duroc boar. I had a Duroc sow, three way sow and a poland China. The three way cross and duroc had the best litters, usually about 10/12 and I raised and sold all except the runts and I kept them a month longer and had them butchered for the family. Some of the best eating you will ever find. I controlled what they ate, only store bought feed, and they did very well. Wormed them often and kept the feed on them. I would start off with pig starter and then what they called grower back then and then a finisher feed. Seriously some of the best chops ever. To keep them from rooting everything up I put a pig staple in their nose and that worked very well. Keep the pen clean and they will be clean. Don't let water stand in the pen and they will not stink (so bad). I loved raising them but when the sows got big (600 - 650) they can be dangerous if your not careful. Do it, but not in your back yard, that would be a really BAD idea, IMHO.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #11
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
Don’t rent them out.

Yep, it's best to just let that be known up front.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Old 05-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Build you a little pen for them with a little shelter for them to get out from the sun and weather get you a automatic water a automatic pig feeder make sure you get two barrows to feed out taste twice as good !
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #14
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I pasture raise mine and then feed them pointy sticks.

The white one with black poke-a-dots is almost cute.

Almost.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:38 PM   #15
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

What ever you decide make sure the pen is down wind
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX
Default School me on Raising pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
What ever you decide make sure the pen is down wind

I live in midland, downwind changes constantly 🤣

bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Give them plenty of room and they won’t stink or root much. Heritage breeds are more grazers/scavengers given plenty of room and the right conditions but if you pour the feed to them they will get lazy and only eat that just like modern breeds. You can keep pigs in a single hot wire when they get big enough but it needs to be HOT. They don’t like to ride the lightning. If they get out one way once you will have to fix it twice as well to keep them from doing it again they are very smart animals. I don’t know if you will be able to depend a lot on natural forage to get a pig fat in midland. Would take a lot of supplemental feeding I would guess.

Last edited by Etxnoodler; 05-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #18
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

This guy just wondered into one of my employee’s next door neighbor’s pool in Houston today. Must be a pet, it acts like a dog. It comes to you, follows you, his son n law picked it up and held it without it making a sound. Tame as can be. Said they were taking it to an animal shelter.
I told him just to take it to see Mr Weber!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

But beware, a man that likes to rent pigs, he's hard to stop
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #20
popeandyoung151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilbarger county, Lake Whitney, MT, CO

I love pigs. Great smart animals that Taste great! Here is Big Momma. She a hamp cross and was bred by my Berk boar. She should farrow later next month.
Attached Images

popeandyoung151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #21
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
This guy just wondered into one of my employee’s next door neighbor’s pool in Houston today. Must be a pet, it acts like a dog. It comes to you, follows you, his son n law picked it up and held it without it making a sound. Tame as can be. Said they were taking it to an animal shelter.
I told him just to take it to see Mr Weber!
Looks like a pot belly pig.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #22
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Raised wild hogs as a kid. We had a barn with an attached pen. 2 3/8” pipe with hog panel to keep them in. Never had any real issues. Well except that one time Dad’s friend dropped off a wild boar and forgot to tell him. A wild hog grain fed at the end is the best eating you can get! Buddy had one that ran loose. Tasted just as good, but tore up everything. Even at 250lbs it thought it was a lap dog.
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
Johnny44
Ten Point

Raising a “few” pigs and growning a small plot of corn are two of the most un-costeffective endeavors a man can take up.

Turkey hunting is the other, I think a butterball is about 49 cents a pound and better than the wild turkey.

Best of luck
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #24
huntandfishguy6
Six Point

I raised 6 one year. Never again it wasn't cost effective. By the time they were large enough to butcher, I probably had 10$ a pound in them.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #25
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

My Daughter had show pigs from the time she was old enough to show them until she was a senior in high school we usually had 3 to 4 every year 2 for show and 2 back up. If done right they don't smell but that will take work i kept them on concrete with ceder shavings and no this is not cost effective but the meat is way better than any store bought pork. What you feed them will make a world of difference in the flavor of the meat high protein show pig feed makes them taste awful. Cheap sow feed mixed with extra corn is best.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top