Any turkey hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any turkey hunters?

I am not but I’d like to give it a shot. I have a few days blocked off toward the end of March from another hunt that got canceled and thinking about chasing gobblers. Reading a few threads on here there doesn’t seem to be great a population accessible on public land so I’m thinking about road tripping to MS. I’ve been watching the hunting public and some other YouTube but if anyone has hunted there or has any tips or advice in general I’m all ears.

If youre not familiar w turkey hunting and dont gave anyone to show you the ropes, your success level will be much higher w rios or merriams. The eastern turkey is very different from the previously mentioned.

Comment

Never had a chance at Easterns so I’m not help. But in an absence of Turkey on our place, I’m planning to head to NM to chase some Merriams.

Comment

Subspecies doesn’t matter. The amount of pressure a bird receives does. Birds in the southeast are hunted hard and there’s already a steep learning curve to spring turkey hunting with “easy” birds. I’d go in with realistic expectations of not being successful as a novice, but you never know unless you give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
          Subspecies doesn’t matter. The amount of pressure a bird receives does. Birds in the southeast are hunted hard and there’s already a steep learning curve to spring turkey hunting with “easy” birds. I’d go in with realistic expectations of not being successful as a novice, but you never know unless you give it a shot.
          100%. Couldn’t had said it better myself. Great advice.

Comment

Id have to disagree, rios and merriams are night and day apart from an eastern. A midwest eastern is somewhere between them and a SE bird. Anyhow, you could very easily be successful and at a minimum you'll learn something

Comment

Thanks guys, my expectations are to have a good time. I wouldn’t mind chasing a Rio but just from the few threads I’ve seen on here of people looking for turkey hunts the response hasn’t been very big. That’s the main reason I shifted my focus on MS. That and I spent most summers, fall, and winter breaks there but never hunted turkeys. Still have a little family there also.

Comment

This is pretty solid here. Only thing I’ll add, I’ve been hunting Rios in the spring off and on my whole life. The last couple years have I only gotten serious about them. I’m still trying to learn how to hunt the “easy” birds here and end up unsuccessful more often than not. I have really been wanting to do some turkey road trips but my knowledge and skills I’m not confident enough in yet to take that leap. It’s one of the most addicting hunts there is, but like Two highways said, you won’t know unless you try and you can’t kill a bird if you’re not in the woods.

Comment

Turkey hunting is a lot of fun. I’m not sure cutting your teeth on public land Easterns would be the smoothest start, but it could still be a fun trip.

I haven’t got a chance to hunt Merriams, but I think most people who’ve hunted both would say that Rios are considerably easier to kill than easterns. I am fortunate to have access to good areas of very lightly pressured easterns up here and they’re just different birds. Rios are extremely fun to hunt because you can work them all day beat the hell of of them. Again, just my experience on a handful of trips. They aren’t nearly as wary and seem to be waaaaay more cooperative.

Comment

If anyone can steer me toward Rios within 5-6hrs of Houston I’m all ears. I have nothing set other than the dates.

Comment

Stout advice from a jake slayer😳

Comment

There are a lot of places you can hunt pretty cheaply around here on private land. Day hunts with lots of birds. Probably worth looking into, unless you are just set on public land?

Comment

Biggest issue with new hunters is probably over calling.

If a Tom answers your call - just shut up. He knows where you’re at. A couple putts and some scratching the leaves on the ground simulating a feeding hen can work better than calling too much. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                            Stout advice from a jake slayer😳
                            I almost spit my Dr Pepper out

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
                              Biggest issue with new hunters is probably over calling.

If a Tom answers your call - just shut up. He knows where you’re at. A couple putts and some scratching the leaves on the ground simulating a feeding hen can work better than calling too much. Good luck
                              spot on, I use 95% of the time a push button turkey call. maybe in one hour I might hit it 3 to 5 times and only push the button 3 or 4 times. works almost every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X