No announcement yet.

Clean Air and Coal, and Keystone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The action on coal is a scientifically proven travesty, but thankfully it will likely have little impact according to at least one coal industry CEO. The real tragedy and absurdity is that a Christian Scientist heads the House Committee on Science and Technology. It's a disgrace and a total embarrassment to the GOP, in my opinion.

Comment

You reminded me of something. No such thing as 'clean coal'...........be clear i have ZERO problems with coal. After being in China i know what coal does when polluting...........we are NOT EVEN CLOSE to that type of nasty pollution. But, don't put the word CLEAN in front of it and sell that hogwash. Where it is KING........get after it!!!
      Secondly, the scales of balance for coal are not looking to great. It is starting to be used less in this nation and that started quite awhile ago. The CEO's are starting to murmur that mass numbers of rehiring is probably NOT in the cards for the folks wanting back in the mines.
      Third thought: KEYSTONE.......appears that lots & lots of construction jobs will be made but very few long term jobs. Less than 50........ouch, that would be ugly. I can say the only pipeline i have been around is on the haul road in Alaska. It is hardly ever any employees physically on that beast. With GPS and sensors i can understand why there are so few employees needed.........just technology doing what it is supposed to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        You reminded me of something. No such thing as 'clean coal'...........be clear i have ZERO problems with coal. After being in China i know what coal does when polluting...........we are NOT EVEN CLOSE to that type of nasty pollution. But, don't put the word CLEAN in front of it and sell that hogwash. Where it is KING........get after it!!!

Secondly, the scales of balance for coal are not looking to great. It is starting to be used less in this nation and that started quite awhile ago. The CEO's are starting to murmur that mass numbers of rehiring is probably NOT in the cards for the folks wanting back in the mines.

Third thought: KEYSTONE.......appears that lots & lots of construction jobs will be made but very few long term jobs. Less than 50........ouch, that would be ugly. I can say the only pipeline i have been around is on the haul road in Alaska. It is hardly ever any employees physically on that beast. With GPS and sensors i can understand why there are so few employees needed.........just technology doing what it is supposed to do!

Yes but coal is still responsible for a third of our electricity production. Coal miners still number over 100k. Ive heard the latest spin too on coal is dead but 100 plus million Americans are dependent on coal for electricity. I'm not buying the spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Yes but coal is still responsible for a third of our electricity production. Coal miners still number over 100k. Ive heard the latest spin too on coal is dead but 100 plus million Americans are dependent on coal for electricity. I'm not buying the spin.

Totally agree. 33% is alot right now!!!! Spin is a fair word, but trending downward, may take 20 years and not a field I would send my kid into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
            The action on coal is a scientifically proven travesty, but thankfully it will likely have little impact according to at least one coal industry CEO. The real tragedy and absurdity is that a Christian Scientist heads the House Committee on Science and Technology. It's a disgrace and a total embarrassment to the GOP, in my opinion.
            Took longer than I expected but happened nonetheless!
            2 more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
              Took longer than I expected but happened nonetheless!
              2 more to go.
              Lol, scientific travesty
              Travesty of what i wonder? What exactly do you think he means by that?

Comment

I would much rather the pipeline belong to an American company.

I cannot guarantee this post will be informative and/or funny to everyone.

Comment

Maybe we can get a few more bodies of water and fisheries added to the mercury warning list before coal finally experiences the economic death it deserves. Scott Pruitt got 8 more lakes added to Oklahoma's mercury warning list just last year. Boomer!

Comment

US coal powered plants only account for .5 % of world wide mercury pollution.
                    So unless we can figure out how to limit mercury pollution coming from the rest of the developing worl who could care less about just about any type of pollution regulation we should do all We can to utilize our our natural resources

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      US coal powered plants only account for .5 % of world wide mercury pollution.
                      So unless we can figure out how to limit mercury pollution coming from the rest of the developing worl who could care less about just about any type of pollution regulation we should do all We can to utilize our our natural resources
                      And then there's reality...

Cutting coal reduced atmospheric mercury in northeastern U.S.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i5/Cu...c-mercury.html

Tuna’s Declining Mercury Contamination Linked to U.S. Shift Away from Coal

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...way-from-coal/

Comment

And then there's reality...

Cutting coal reduced atmospheric mercury in northeastern U.S.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i5/Cu...c-mercury.html

Tuna’s Declining Mercury Contamination Linked to U.S. Shift Away from Coal

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...way-from-coal/
                        Well, funny how my reality is based on the EPA's leagal argument to the supreme court in which they lost the decision.

Comment

By the way, your little " then there's reality " does nothing to disprove my assertion that the US has a very minimal mercury impact on the globe and that unless you figure out a way to force developing countries to clean their coal there will not be significant reduction in global counts
                          Last edited by flywise; 03-31-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yea because you are obviously more educated on the subject than said "Christian Scientist". Or anyone on that committee.... Ppffft.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              Totally agree. 33% is alot right now!!!! Spin is a fair word, but trending downward, may take 20 years and not a field I would send my kid into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah i assume the market will eventually push that third towards natural gas but would like to see the market do it organically. Not be forced by politicians.

Comment

So a persons religious beliefs should be the deciding factor in chairmanships? You think it should be that way for all committee chairs?

Comment

Working...
                                X