New CXL Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New CXL Pros

I finally had time to set up my CXL Pros 150's that I've had for 2 months. The first set up was with 115 grain CXL points, 2.3 inch Duravanes, and unibushings with G nocks. The speed was a paltry 271 with them. I also didn't care for their flight. And, those stupid bushings only come in orange - ok, Bronze.

I am shooting my Triumph, 60 pounds.

I stripped down the arrows, put in Competition 100 grain Nock Busters, 1.8 inch Duravanes, bulldog collars, and CXL nocks. I also trimmed 1" off the shafts.

Speed is now averaging 283, but the flight on this is purely amazing! Talk about pointing at the target and hitting the spot every time! I practiced on my 3D targets last night at 30 yards. I hit every 12 and 14 I aimed at. I will admit - the set up has no forgiveness. Heel your bow, imperfect stance, weak shots, failing to properly aim and the shot will show that you screwed up.

Now I need to practice judging and I'll be set for the Classic.

I spent a few weeks awhile back playing with the CXL Pro. I'm shooting an Alpha Elite @ 60lbs (maybe a little less). The arrows have flex fletch 2.25s, CXL Nocks and 120 grain points. Never could get them to tune out of the bow. I can see them fishtail mid flight. They are pretty short. Got frustrated and gave up.

Would love to shoot them as I think they are a superior arrow to my fatboy's but can't get them to fly right. I was playing with the 150's but now I'm considering the 250s'.

If you have any ideas toss them my way.

Comment

Good info. I've shot CX since 2000. And am just now getting into 3-D. I've been looking at shafts of a larger diameter. What is the shaft length for your set-up? I also shoot 58-60.

Comment

For me its 24in shafts (I have a short DL). I'm wondering if I cut them too short though although being too short would mean too stiff. Don't see that being the issue. I was thinking the other way around...not stiff enough.

Comment

At first, mine were cut to 26 inches, now I have them at 24.75.

Carbon Exteme - with your arrow length, stick with the 150's. Go with 100 grain points or a tad lighter. My sister shoots (Pistol will chime in to correct me) 24 inch CXL 150's, 70 grain points, the 1.8 inch Duravanes (3.4 grains each) and the unibushing with G nocks. I think she said her DW is 54 pounds, but she said they fly awesome and her speed is 280. She is shooting the C4.

How much do those flex fletches weigh?

Comment

They are 3.75 each. I'll try swapping the points (after this weekend) and see how they fly with a lighter point. That's way easier to test than spending the money on 250's!

Comment

If you want to try some 1.8 inch Duravanes, I can send you some for 3 or 4 arrows. Just PM me your address and I'll send them in an envelope. I've got red, white, and blue.

I used to use Flex Fletch, but I think they are not as stiff as the Duravanes. With the speed you should be getting from these arrows, you will need a stiffer vane.

Comment

Let's see how changing the point does first. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Ok. I guess an analogy would be putting a flag on tail of a paper airplane versus fins. All that flapping from the flag will sure make the flight terrible.

good luck. free vanes for 3 arrows....

Comment

I was using a 26.5" arrow 150 spine for my C4 with G-nocks and 90 grain tips. They flew very well, but at 50 yards I wasn't getting the groups at 50 yards I had with my Maximas (now known as Blue Streaks). I switched back to my Maximas and I will be using them this weekend. My C4 just did not like the Pros.

My husband is using the 250s with his set up on a Apex 8. Sa-Weet! He has a 65 pound draw and a 27" arrow. He has 140 grains up front with the G-nocks in the back. He says compared to the Fat Boys he was shooting, the CXL Pros are twice as good.

Based on that, I would shoot as heavy a tip as I could manage, even if it brought me down to a 278 fps. If you are shooting an Alpha Elite at 60#, I think the spine might be a bit weak though.

Tracey, we might need to play with those points on my bow, maybe we can find a set-up my C4 likes but for now, the Maximas are much better in that bow.

Comment

What would yall suggest for a true 28" @ 58-60lb? I'm currently shooting 250 Mayhem Hunters @ 26.128" shafts with blazers, Bulldog Collers and CX nocks with 100 gr tip for a total weight of 386-388. And getting 271-272 through my crono. I just put a 85gr tip in and got 275-276 with it. I'll test the flight in the yard shortly. I've shot the regular Maxima 250s for several years. But the one's I have now are to short making them to fast for SAS standards. Getting 288-289 out of them.

Next year I will have a set up just for 3-D
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

If you want to shoot the CXL Pros, Texas Grown, your set up is not much different than my husband's. Go with the 250s and put at least 120 grains up front. Cut them to about 27"
                        The arrows you are shooting are 8.9 grains per inch. The Pros in 250 are 6.4 gpi, so you are going to gain a lot of speed. The more weight you can put up front, the better.

Comment

Thanks Pistol!

Comment

or.... you could lower your DW by 2 pounds to slow it down and use the same arrows. or ... you could ....

Comment

That was the problem I had with the CXL was the arrow "fish tailing" in mid flight. Of course I could have been the problem also. I did shoot my highest score to date with them. I will give them another try when I become a better shooter for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X