Need some help sighting in Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhunter8213 View Post
    My girlfriend shoots a Hoyt Nitrum and we can't for the life of us get her bow sighted in. At first she was shooting high left, but we got the height adjusted within a few shots. But we can't get her left to right tuned in, no matter how much we adjust the sight. She's shooting 4" left and I'm out of ideas here. Anybody have any input?

List all her info on bow. And arrow info

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat right now with my girlfriends bow

Comment

1. how long has she been shooting
        2. is this her first bow
        3. is this the first session (or first handful)?

if yes to any of these chasing the arrow is a lesson in futility. Get her close and let her shoot a bunch of arrows . . . . when 85% are in a pie plate at 15 yards then start moving the sight.

Also is she proficient with a gun? reason i ask is her form may look great but she might have bad trigger skills, high left is recoil anxiety (I know its not a gun but i feel like it's still relevant).

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
          1. how long has she been shooting
          2. is this her first bow
          3. is this the first session (or first handful)?

if yes to any of these chasing the arrow is a lesson in futility. Get her close and let her shoot a bunch of arrows . . . . when 85% are in a pie plate at 15 yards then start moving the sight.

Also is she proficient with a gun? reason i ask is her form may look great but she might have bad trigger skills, high left is recoil anxiety (I know its not a gun but i feel like it's still relevant).

Spot on advice right here. When I got my girlfriend,now wife, into archery i let her shoot about 100 arrows at 10 yards with no comments from myself. Then I started picking at her trigger release, she slapped the tigger in a bad way. But I wanted her to have fun before I tore her form apart. The other thing she did really bad was dropping her bow arm. Within a week she robin hooded 2 different arrows at 15 yards.
          Now that she shoots consistently we can make changes to her sights or rest and see results you would expect.

Good luck! Remember when your sig other hunts you need two of everything. :-)

Comment

Sean is on the money.

I'd also look at arrow spine and anchor point consistency.

Comment

arrow are too stiff.
              that's common for a youth or ladies bow and (arrow) set up.
              everyone figures stiffer is better than too weak, which is true for safety's sake, but you'll often end up w/ your arrow going left (on a right handed bow)
              check the center shot also, and make sure they aren't lined up to the left to begin with, start in the center and adjust, if the arrow won't tune, you may have to change
              Last edited by mding; 08-24-2015, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Why don't you shoot the bow and see what happens?

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                  Rest is probably too far out from the bow.
                  x2

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                    Why don't you shoot the bow and see what happens?
                    I did and same result. Arrows are hitting left. I've done everything mentioned in this thread and nothing seems to work. I've never seen this before and I've been shooting a bow for almost 15 years. I think I'm just going to head up to West Houston Archery and hopefully they can figure this out.

Comment

I just bought a new 2014 factor turbo with the Fuse helix micro adjust. I needed about 60 clicks to get the windage and about 35 clicks to get elevation. The adjustments are very fine thus the micro adjust in the name

Comment

If the bow is a Hoyt the timing could be off on the bow, it will affect your accuracy when the timing is off. You may need to take it to a shop & have them check this out for you.

Comment

Sounds like a tuning issue. Could be timing of cam lean if the centershot is correct. If your arrow is straight and level thru the Berger hole and at the centershot recommended by the manufacturer, then it's time to look at the cams. The consistent left sounds like cam lean.

Comment

Originally posted by mding View Post
                            arrow are too stiff.
                            that's common for a youth or ladies bow and (arrow) set up.
                            everyone figures stiffer is better than too weak, which is true for safety's sake, but you'll often end up w/ your arrow going left (on a right handed bow)
                            check the center shot also, and make sure they aren't lined up to the left to begin with, start in the center and adjust, if the arrow won't tune, you may have to change
                            I disagree with the to stiff. That has nothing todo with safety. Same with weak. You can take a 500 spine and shoot it all day long with a 30 in draw at 70 lbs. it will not break. It just won't group. Stiff arrows are more sensitive to torque. And that's about it. I shoot a 27 in 250 spine with a 205 tip. It is very stiff. Same arrow with 430 gn tip. Now just weak. Left right all same it's all in the tuning

To the op. She is either having form problems or tuning problems.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                              I disagree with the to stiff. That has nothing todo with safety. Same with weak. You can take a 500 spine and shoot it all day long with a 30 in draw at 70 lbs. it will not break. It just won't group. Stiff arrows are more sensitive to torque. And that's about it. I shoot a 27 in 250 spine with a 205 tip. It is very stiff. Same arrow with 430 gn tip. Now just weak. Left right all same it's all in the tuning

To the op. She is either having form problems or tuning problems.
                              lol, cool, ok, so let's try some .880 spine 1716 aluminum in a PSE full throttle and shoot it all day... or let's try some .150 triple x goldtips w/ 80gr points in a PSE "snake" 22# recurve and see how that works out...
                              Ok, but seriously, we never got an answer to enewman's question on 8/23: "List all her info on bow. And ARROW INFO" brand/spine/length/point weight? then, next (sad) idea: riser is bent

Comment

Originally posted by mding View Post
                                lol, cool, ok, so let's try some .880 spine 1716 aluminum in a PSE full throttle and shoot it all day... or let's try some .150 triple x goldtips w/ 80gr points in a PSE "snake" 22# recurve and see how that works out...
                                Ok, but seriously, we never got an answer to enewman's question on 8/23: "List all her info on bow. And ARROW INFO" brand/spine/length/point weight? then, next (sad) idea: riser is bent
                                Don't through a recurve in the picture haha. That is a different monster. And I know nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X