No announcement yet.

Help me price a one man lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really starting to lean towards day hunts. Upgrade to a custom ranch gate and be ready to roll.

Comment

What about a high fence !

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        Really starting to lean towards day hunts. Upgrade to a custom ranch gate and be ready to roll.
        [emoji23][emoji23] [emoji106]

Price this right so when I let folks know I have a little land in south Texas I can retire

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Just do like Kieth Johns....put a bunch of roads thru it and tell everyone it's a 1000 ac's

Comment

Have had this exact discussion recently. I used to lease 18 acres in north Fort Worth for $200 a year. It was a steal to hunt five mins from work and twenty mins from home. I lost the lease when it sold. Then it fell in my lap again but at $1,000. I passed the opportunity on to a friend and fellow TBH'er.

It's worth every stinking penny regardless of those that say they would never pay that much. Hogs, deer and turkey...all reasonably close to home. I don't see the issue in paying way more per acre than a traditional lease. Never have, never will. I have a traditional lease that I can go spend the night at. I like having a place closer to home for after work and quick morning or evening trips where I don't have the time to be gone for days. I'll pay more for that convenience.

Comment

Living near San Antonio now, I’d pay $1200 or so for a year around lease like that if it was 10 - 15 min from home. Wouldn’t give you a nickle for it if I had to drive more than 1 hour.

That being said, my family leases 320 acres from our neighbor that we know. It’s mostly a cow pasture but we always kill a few meat deer out there every year and have taken a handful of 140 - 160” bucks over the last 10 years. Most importantly, we keep it clean and keep an eye on it for em since they don’t live there. That runs us $650 a year. Hell some years we barely even hunt out there, but worth it to keep good neighbors and to keep others out.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Just do like Kieth Johns....put a bunch of roads thru it and tell everyone it's a 1000 ac's

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
                  some people would call "thanksgiving weekend" 5 days. the devil is in the detail.

seriously, take 1,500 and dont hunt, or hunt, and dont lease. pick one.
                  This would be my suggestion. Any lease with a carved out family weekend or something along those lines I automatically mark off the list. Plenty of folks won't care but you can probably get more by not hunting yourself.
                  Last edited by CEO; 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I have 21 acres that will rival a good deer lease on any given year. I’ve had it for 5 deer seasons now and consistently see 15 -30 deer per hunt. Never had any issues of deer leaving or not coming in on days I came to hunt. With that being said what’s a place worth! I have 120” bucks every year and killed 120’s and had 130’s killing one that was low 130’s. I’m exempt on taxes to dry farming of about 3 acres of wheat/oats that I plant. Taxes are $27 a year. No way I would lease it for that. Has water and electricity and without using the electricity I think the minimum is around 28$ month. When you add in the payments on the land for most landowners there is little to no money/profit in leasing to anyone for hunting. Just to cover electric bills and normal taxes wouldn’t be worth leasing it out in my opinion anyway. With all of that being said a consistent good hunting property for one person should be worth something even if it’s small acreage. I would never lease mine out but if I had to it’s worth every penny of $2500 or up. Has turkey,hogs and deer of good caliber with a wheat food plot,camper hookup with septic. Small acreage can be worth looking into for one person without a doubt and worth what some leases charge per member in my opinion. Not sure what your place can do but if it is consistent on game and located near or next to a bigger property with little hunting pressure I’d say it’s worth whatever someone will pay you for it.
                    Last edited by KingsX; 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I currently hunt a property that is 25 acres and is 5 minutes from my house!! Has decent deer and a ton of doe on it. Much larger property around it that I know isn't hunted, or hunted very heavily at least. I see deer just about every time I go out. The guy that owns it has horses and cows that roam the place, which is a pain in the *** sometimes, but I think it keeps the deer more comfortable. Plus he's driving through the property throughout the year which helps them get used to human like activity. I paid him 1200 for the deer season through turkey season (even though I have yet to see one turkey). This next year he's going to lower the rate. I'm thinking he'll let me in at 800 or so. They biggest appeal, versus another larger property, is that it is so close to my house. Which is why I don't mind paying so much. That would be your best bet to get the highest amount for it!
                      Last edited by bcj jones; 01-04-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        You could hunt 3 people on there to help on the cost.
                        After you kill a deer, you could reach your arm out the window of your blind and high-five both your lease mates who were sitting in their blinds.

Comment

I would not do that unless you lease it from Thanksgiving until the season is over. Otherwise the pressure will have been there and it will be less of an experience for your kids- the reason you purchased this property.

Comment

My opinion is that 15 acres is too small to lease and still hunt yourself. It is going to be pressured real quick, and you won’t see any deer when you want to bring your kids to hunt which is why you purchased it.
                            Is losing that ability to put your kids on some deer worth $1500 or less you’ll get from leasing it out? That is up to you to decide

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
                              some people would call "thanksgiving weekend" 5 days. the devil is in the detail.

seriously, take 1,500 and dont hunt, or hunt, and dont lease. pick one.
                              this would be my input. If I was leasing something that small I would only do it if I was the only person to have access to it

Comment

Looks like $100 to $150 an acre is going to be the going rate for a deer lease in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X