One piece vs. take down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One piece vs. take down

Have owned both but had issues with limb twist. First was a Martin mamba, then a sarrels blue ridge. I really want to get back into trad archery but hate to spend good money on a bow that will eventually twist(at least that's been my experience). I have read; leave it strung, unstring it, keep it inside, outside won't hurt it. I just don't know which way to go. What is the consensus on how to take care of a trad bow? Will humidity/moisture affect the limbs? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I have owned multiple longbows, recurves, and selfbows for over 20yrs and have only had one recurve that had a small amount of twist that was easily fixed with a blow dryer and a few clamps. Are you by chance leaving your bows strung up in a hat environment? Do you store your bows in a corner or in a closet standing on one end? I have been shooting a Blueridge exclusively for the past 6yrs and never had a bit of twist in either that I own, and I shoot more the most folks probably!

Humidity should not effect the limbs if the finish is good. Moisture could effect the limbs if the limb is not taken care of (dried off) after being wet, or if it stays wet for long periods of time.

It seems to me that if you have had 2 different bows, with one being a longbow, twist, then you have to be doing something that is causing that to happen???

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      I have owned multiple longbows, recurves, and selfbows for over 20yrs and have only had one recurve that had a small amount of twist that was easily fixed with a blow dryer and a few clamps. Are you by chance leaving your bows strung up in a hat environment? Do you store your bows in a corner or in a closet standing on one end? I have been shooting a Blueridge exclusively for the past 6yrs and never had a bit of twist in either that I own, and I shoot more the most folks probably!

Humidity should not effect the limbs if the finish is good. Moisture could effect the limbs if the limb is not taken care of (dried off) after being wet, or if it stays wet for long periods of time.

It seems to me that if you have had 2 different bows, with one being a longbow, twist, then you have to be doing something that is causing that's to happen???

Bisch
      There is no doubt it was me. I just don't know how exactly to store them. So I guess this is the answer; Unstrung, laying flat? Do you unstring the bow after every hunt or can it stay strung for, let's say a weekend hunt?

Comment

It can stay strung for a lot longer that a weekend. Some guys keep their bow strung all the time. I unstring mine after every time I shoot, mostly because that is the way I started years ago. If I am on a hunt, my bow usually stays strung for the whole hunt, whether one day or six days! The exception to this rule is selfbows or all wood bows with no fiberglass. Those bows should always be unstrung after each shooting session or hunt. If you store your bow strung, hang it on hooks horizontally by the string. If you store it unstrung, either lay it flat (that is what I do) or hang it vertically on a hook.

NEVER leave a bow strung in a car or garage where it gets really hot, and NEVER store a bow standing on end in a closet or in the corner.

One more thing, if you get a recurve, get and use a stringer to string/unstring the bow. Not using a stringer on a recurve CAN induce limb twist, depending on the method used. Because of their design (being wider and thinner) recurve limbs are more prone to limb twist than longbow limbs.

Bisch
        Last edited by Bisch; 01-11-2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
          There is no doubt it was me. I just don't know how exactly to store them. So I guess this is the answer; Unstrung, laying flat? Do you unstring the bow after every hunt or can it stay strung for, let's say a weekend hunt?
          I have owned a cheap recurve and an expensive recurve, neither with twist that has developed.

I store them strung, inside, hanging on a wall, horizontally, by the string, using two nails that are 2 studs width (32" apart.) Since I shoot 3-4 times a day, I keep them strung all the time. The only exception is when I unstring them to travel in the truck. One of the most dangerous moments for a recurve, I have read, is when stringing them, so it makes sense just to leave them strung.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll be selling a few guns and a wheel bow to fund a trip to see bob sarrels about a bow. Hopefully by the spring I'll be able to post up some trad LDPs.

Comment

Good luck to you!

And welcome back to the fun side!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Good post OP and good info for this noobin buck...thanks all around.

Comment

My guess is you were stringing with the step thru method. That causes twist quicker than anything else. Listen to Bisch. He kind of knows what he is talking about. Kind of, lol

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                    My guess is you were stringing with the step thru method. That causes twist quicker than anything else. Listen to Bisch. He kind of knows what he is talking about. Kind of, lol
                    Yes sir, was not using a stringer. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                    X