Lighted nocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
    I have never had that problem. If the shots were complete pass throughs I would recomend as I did above in sealing the switch hole with bow string wax to keep the blood from shorting the light out.

I will definitely give it a try. All shots were passthroughs on hogs. It was only one package and all 3 did the same thing. I could still see it on impact and then pass through the animal but would turn off on the exit.

Comment

Thanks for all input guys I wanted to get some opinions before I spent money on something that would only hurt my hunting. I will grab some next time I am at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        Thanks for all input guys I wanted to get some opinions before I spent money on something that would only hurt my hunting. I will grab some next time I am at the shop.
        Make sure you get the correct Nocturnal for your arrows.
        GT-Gold Tip
        X- Easton Axis
        S- CE
        I know that seems obvious but you wouldn't believe how many people buy a pack not realizing they are arrow specific.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
          Make sure you get the correct Nocturnal for your arrows.
          GT-Gold Tip
          X- Easton Axis
          S- CE
          I know that seems obvious but you wouldn't believe how many people buy a pack not realizing they are arrow specific.
          Been there. Done that.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            Same here.

I like to play with them, and do trick shots with them, but I have never had an arrow stay in an animal with one, so it didn't help any to recover the animal.
            It did help me find the arrow in the dark, so that was a plus, but I would have found it anyway.

I build my own anyway, so it's not like they cost me much.

Rick
            From my understanding, the primary objective of a lighted nock is to help see exactly where you hit the animal. some times when shooting in low light scenarios, with bad eyes, etc, it is near impossible to know exactly where you hit the animal. The lighted nock solves that problem. Now if it does stay in the animal and doesn't get broken off, it will help find the animal. If not, it still helped you know whether it was a good shot or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Retsbew View Post
              I've never seen a need or had any attraction for battery-powered arrows/lighted bow sights when bowhunting (even with my compound 25 years ago), and it seems even more bizarre when a 'simple stick and string' is the gear of choice. Aside from the pickles and ice cream aspect I have to think that deer approaching or exiting from the side can indeed see lighted arrows (or any lighted equipment) just as easy as we can under the conditions where lighted arrows would logically be used...i.e. near darkness.

In these parts quitting time is 30 minutes after sunset. At that time of day battery nocks aren't necessary to see where the arrow goes. This assumes the 'spot' on the vitals was visible to begin with...or theoretically the shot wouldn't have been taken at all. As far as finding the arrow, most archery hunting here is done from tree stands and/or in thick cover. If the shot is through the vitals or a complete miss the arrow would generally be sticking at an angle in the ground near where the critter stood, or sticking in a tree/log beyond the critter...fairly easy to find. If the arrow is still in the critter (poor penetration) the nock normally wouldn't be visible for very long since the animal will disappear quickly in cover and a hanging arrow would soon be knocked out by trees/brush, offering little to no tracking advantage.

Speaking of tracking, blinking nocks can't replace the need for this skill. No matter how much we'd like to shortcut the odds and make it easy there's just no substitute for well-placed shots and basic woodsmanship, especially if hunting late in the day in thick/unfamiliar cover.

Aside from a good flashlight or Coleman lantern I don't see the value of glowing hunting gear.
              The light doesnt come on until you actually shoot the arrow. The deer cant see it. The light is visible during low light situations and does assist you in knowing where you actually hit, not where you think you hit. I have shot a deer from a tree stand and had my arrow go completely thru and skip off the side of a tree and go 40 yards into the brush. With arrow, broadheads, nocks not being cheap, a lighted nock is a easy way to recover. I personally dont use the lighted nock for tracking, but when its sticking up in the air stuck in the animal, it doesnt hurt to have help!

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                Is there a danger of deer seeing lighted knocks out of a longbow? Especially at distances of 20 yrds or slightly more? Have you had any issues?

Yeah if you have em turned on with the arrow nocked. [emoji2]

Comment

The Nocturnal's I use are priceless to me. I shot an axis at 6:50 this morning in overcast conditions. Twenty deer disappeared in a flash. I watched my red nock run thru the woods and double back on a ridge. I could not see the deer but the nock was easily visible. I watched that nock for 35 minutes until I saw it hit the ground and tumble. I would have had no idea where he went without it. I never dreamed he could stay upright for 35 minutes with a double lung shot. Lighted nocks have saved me a lot of anxiety and I won't hunt without them.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                    The Nocturnal's I use are priceless to me. I shot an axis at 6:50 this morning in overcast conditions. Twenty deer disappeared in a flash. I watched my red nock run thru the woods and double back on a ridge. I could not see the deer but the nock was easily visible. I watched that nock for 35 minutes until I saw it hit the ground and tumble. I would have had no idea where he went without it. I never dreamed he could stay upright for 35 minutes with a double lung shot. Lighted nocks have saved me a lot of anxiety and I won't hunt without them.
                    Wow!!!! Did the nock keep moving for the entire 35 minutes? Last night when I read this, I figured that it bedded down and was dead before maybe slipping from there down the ridge... but when I read it this morning, it sounds like it could have been moving the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Wow!!!! Did the nock keep moving for the entire 35 minutes? Last night when I read this, I figured that it bedded down and was dead before maybe slipping from there down the ridge... but when I read it this morning, it sounds like it could have been moving the entire time.
                      The buck stood under an oak tree for the entire 35 minutes. He never laid down until he fell down dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X