Why do you bow hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you bow hunt?

So I started hunting in NJ where bow season is almost 3 months before gun season and the rut only takes place during bow season.

I gun hunted for a few years in the beginning then switch to a bow and loved the sense of accomplishment and the extended season. Fast forward a few years, I moved to texas and am surprised the bow/gun seasons overlap as much as they do. The lease I am on is all gun hunters and they all think I am crazy for bow hunting.

Now over the past month, I have missed a deer completely (shot over his back at 35 yards and he jumped the string) and had a poor shot at 30 yards and resulted in an unsuccessful track. All this has got me thinking what I am doing wrong and maybe I should go to the dark side.....aka gun hunters.

So why do you bow vs gun hunt?

Cus gun hunting is too easy!

Comment

More of a challenge and love being so much closer to game in general

Comment

Gun hunting has its purpose for pig eradication only if you’re over run and doe management if you have too many mld tags to fill. It’s always great to fill a trophy tag but it will mean more to fill those tags with a bow. That being said do what makes you happy but don’t go to a rifle if your heart is set on a bow kill you’ll regret it later.

Comment

Makes the thrill of the hunt that much better and makes the kill feel like you actually accomplished something. Not to mention the rush it gives you to get close to the animals.

Comment

it is a different game.

Comment

Interesting topic.

I started bow hunting in 2005 here in South Africa.

I have spent a lot of time since then in hides, stands and stalking with the bow and really enjoyed it.

However when I started working in Saudi Arabia in 2013 I had very little time with the bow although I have hunted a few animals since then.

However since returning from working abroad I have not had the urge to shoot bow at all.

I enjoy rifle hunting at the moment as well as guiding hunters with the rifle.

The difference is I still stalk with the rifle like I would have if I had the bow in hand so the challenge is still there.

I am not sure when the bow bug will bite again but I am sure I will enjoy the hunts just as much as in the start in 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishndude View Post
                cus gun hunting is too easy!
                bingo!

Comment

The challenge, more time in the woods, you learn more about the animal you hunt when you have to get so much closer. You respect the game animal. We are entering their wild world as a predator and accept the challenge of beating them in their environment. After bowhunting for forty six years I have seen a lot of changes. Technology has changed bowhunting. Prior to compound bows it was a special class of hunter to be a bowhunter. Today’s “Trad” hunters know the true challenges of taking a deer / game animal with old school methods. New technology and equipment has opened up the opportunity for more archery hunters. Bowhunting is a passion. It makes you an elite hunter when done correctly.

Comment

It was way to easy to kill big bucks with a gun

Comment

Keeps me out of the psychiatrist's office. It's like a therapy session every time I'm in the tree....and for the challenge.

Comment

Because you can hunt them sooner!

It's more of a challenge.

Takes more skill.

Is far more rewarding

Comment

My reason is a little different than most. While I do love the challenge with a bow. I only picked up bow hunting because it was the only sure fire way I was going to be able to hunt. We never owned land and could never afford a lease. While I was a youth I was able to do 3-4 hunts a year through TYHP or TPWD drawn hunts, but once I became to old it was very hard to get on the adult TPWD hunts. So picked up bow hunting so I could hunt the public walk-ons. Now I’m able to hunt just about every weekend although public hunting is very frustrating with all the disrespectful hunters and thieves but it’s better than not getting to hunt at all.

Comment

Hey I feel ya! I’m on a lease with 9 other guys, one or two have bows but don’t bring them out much. To each his own right. I catch hell, but I dish it all right back. Some think I’m too intense....and it got me one of the biggest bucks on our ranch this year!

For me it’s all about the reward and challenge. I think the more you put into something the more you get out of it.

My wife got her first deer this year with her bow, and it wasn’t easy. She thought about putting it down after a couple misses, but once she got that first one she was hooked and in very proud of her for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mule deer does can only be taken by bow in my county and we have 1000 at my place. It was a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                              X