Balcones Canyonlands Hunt Nov. 18-20 '16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balcones Canyonlands Hunt Nov. 18-20 '16

I enjoyed my time in Unit #1. There were some issues, but they didn't involve me. One of the hunters had set up a pop-up blind on the scouting day Nov.17 and they found it missing/stolen when they came back on Friday afternoon. I am wondering if people wait for these public hunts and the gates are unlocked.

I didn't see that many deer while hunting and when I did, they were moving. You need to be ready to shoot standing up. I ended up harvesting a doe right after I packed up my pop-up. Then right after I field dressed her a small 6 point came about 30 yards away. I chose to hunt in an open area where I had several lanes of view. It worked out pretty well, but you need to be prepared for deer to pop up pretty quick due to the trees and tall grass. An elevated stand would be ideal for this area. There's plenty of hogs moving through the area, but I imagine it's all during the night time.
    by cellphone
    My stand was:30°38' 46.6" N 98° 05' 30.7" W

I never went down in the canyon area, too rough for this old guy and I can't imagine getting a deer out without major exhaustion. There's plenty of areas to look down in the canyon, it's a nice view and may be able to see something below in some of the meadows.

Here are two spots for views into the canyon:

30°38' 44.8" N 98° 05' 36.8" W
    30°38' 43.5" N 98° 05' 35.4" W

I walked the fence line on the south side near the canyon. it looks like a good spot, but really too close to the fence line to be confident.

I thought it was a good hunt for the amount of time allowed to find the deer. I always enjoyed walking through the trails, finding out where the animals are headed.

I think most if not all the standby positions got filled. Not sure how the other Units fared. Hoping to hear any news.

Thanks for the report. I'm on Unit 8 Dec. 9-11 for a long overdue first-hunt with my father (his 66th birthday) so this feedback is invaluable for an area I've never set foot on.

I think the theft is interesting, especially considering that I keep hearing that some of the roads are difficult to access. Seems like a lot of effort to stumble upon and steal a pop-up blind.

Comment

Thanks for the in depth info in your post, I drive by this place at least once a week for work. Always looks like it would be a perfect spot for some nice game to hide, have put in for draw for last 2 years.. no luck.

Comment

To 141edge, I think all the standby hunters got to hunt. That might be a possibility if you don't get drawn...just make sure you have a cashier's check or money order to pay the $80

Comment

@texmet, I hunted unit 8 many years ago. I hunted at spot A which is the far end of the unit. The road there was ok, but rocky. There were lots of deer and pig signs. I even spooked a doe in 3 yards while I was scouting. My buddy chased a pig on the way in. It was not the legal time, so he could not stop and shoot. While I was walking in the wood, I can even smell the deer and hear their movement, but cannot see them through the dense cedar. I didn't harvest any due to weather and lacking of experience (it was my first gun hunt). Spot A has a flat and widen view. So, you will see very far if you can be elevated. Hope this helps. Enjoy the hunt with your dad. Nothing can be worth than that.

Comment

Greatly appreciated Jibby. Please keep us posted on your hunt.

Comment

@cy100 - Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like a promising spot. I've been assigned spot B, so in the general vicinity of A. Did you stay on the open area on the top of the or did you get into some of the draws on the northwest side of 8?

I spoke with the park office today and they confirmed that - unlike 2015 - the earn a buck rule is not in effect this year, so no need to first take a doe or pig before going after a buck. That seems like it would be a positive development even if the antler restriction is still in place.

Comment

@texmet, I didn't have much hunting experience at that time, so I didn't setup "right". If I hunt there today, I would have much more chances.

I mainly stay around parking spot, about 100-150 yards. The deer I saw and "felt" were from east side of spot A. Even, I found lots of bedding areas on the open. I sit at one of deer bedding (so stupid) I did check the northwest by cross a fence, but it had very dense cedar, no good lane for shooting. I did find a stool in a bunch of cedar tree about 100 yards from parking, which left by another hunter, they also focused on east side of spot A. There were wood connected to the open area.

Comment

For those that have been out to Balcones already, I see some of the maps have trails marked as "Closed to vehicles" - does this include ATVs? I've read a number of posts about people flying around on ATVs and disturbing other hunters so I'm wondering if his was in response to those complaints.

Comment

In the orientation, they said all vehicles. If the main road was muddy and you were likely to get stuck, they asked that you get out and walk. They did say however that you could use them to help retrieve game.

Comment

The main closed roads in unit 4 were clearly marked with signs that said "Foot Traffic Only". Secondary road travel will get u a fine. They explain all at orientation.
                      The roads marked on maps gathered online such as google, TerraServer ect. are very inaccurate compared to the maps that the will handout at orientation. Remember your hunting in a closed zone of a federal run national wildlife refuge--just respect it and youll be fine--Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback BuckAuger. Guess I'll look forward to the orientation for more specifics.

Comment

Balcones Canyonlands Area 11 Nov 9-11

Hi Everyone, brother and I received permits for Balcones CH Area 11. Has anyone hunted this area before? Any help would be most awesome! We have maps and all the general information online. We are hoping to scout Dec 1 and 8. Not sure what part of 11 to look first, its a big area.
                          Last edited by bojack; 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM. Reason: better description of info

Comment

Balcones Canyonlands Hunt 12/9 to 12/11 Unit 14

Hi,
                            Anyone ever hunted Unit 14? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I hunted on top by the windmill on 11. Both times I shot a doe.

Comment

Working...
                              X