Shrimp Boil Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    Over cooked. Bring water to boil, throw in shrimp, and kill fire. After 30 to 45 seconds throw in ice to stop the cooking and let soak for however long you like.
    They squirt out of the shell and aren’t mushy.

I’m not sure how you judge overcooked.

I’m sure there are several ways to get results.

Comment

I use the slurry method that was posted a year or two ago on here. Same as I do crawfish also. I make the slurry, then put the shrimp into boiling water with the fire Turned off. After a few minutes of being in there I toss them into the slurry. They're good good

Comment

I bring plain water to a boil, put the shrimp in, bring it back to a boil, turn off the fire, poor off extra water and add ice and crab boil. I let that sit for a minimum of 20 minutes. They are spicy and peel easy.
        Last edited by ultrastealth; 01-03-2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          The secret to boiling a shrimp is you don’t boil it
          Bring your shrimp to room temp, drop in hot water, pull them out
          There you go. Listen to Lee, he knows shrimp.

If your recipe includes "throw them in and bring it back to a boil" you are overcooking them. Some of y'all are making it way too difficult. No point in soaking shrimp either, they are not crawfish. They don't absorb the boil inside the shell like a crawfish does when you ice the boil and soak them. Either put them in the hot water and then pull them out and dump on the table to be eaten hot or pull them out and dump them in a cooler full of ice and allow to chill to be eaten cold.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
            They squirt out of the shell and aren’t mushy.

I’m not sure how you judge overcooked.

I’m sure there are several ways to get results.
            Give poaching shrimp a try sometime. I'd grown up having shrimp usually boiled for X minutes and then pulled out and thought that texture was how they should be.

I first poached some a few years ago and then immediately iced and was blown away by the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              There you go. Listen to Lee, he knows shrimp.

If your recipe includes "throw them in and bring it back to a boil" you are overcooking them. Some of y'all are making it way too difficult. No point in soaking shrimp either, they are not crawfish. They don't absorb the boil inside the shell like a crawfish does when you ice the boil and soak them. Either put them in the hot water and then pull them out and dump on the table to be eaten hot or pull them out and dump them in a cooler full of ice and allow to chill to be eaten cold.
              Only questions are
              (1) how hot is the water supposed to be...”bring to boil then turn fire off and throw shrimp in” type hot? Or something less?
              (2) how long do you leave in larger shrimp to ensure they are cooked fully, and without overcooking, and without having to lose a few shrimp to testing? I usually cook small amounts for 2ppl.
              Last edited by DimmitCo; 01-05-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                Only questions are
                (1) how hot is the water supposed to be...”bring to boil then turn fire off and throw shrimp in” type hot? Or something less?
                (2) how long do you leave in larger shrimp to ensure they are cooked fully, and without overcooking, and without having to lose a few shrimp to testing? I usually cook small amounts for 2ppl.
                I cook small batches pretty often too. Get a big pot and put 8 qts of water or so in it. Bring that to a boil, you can season it however you like. Dump in a pound or two of shrimp and kill the fire. Stir them a bit and once they are opaque they are done. Have a colander ready in the sink and pour them in it to strain them. Then either dump them in a small cooler with ice to chill them if you want them cold or dump them into a bowl and eat them hot. They cook super fast. Once opaque they are done. Like, under a minute.

Comment

I would not "soak" hot shrimp in ice. Throw shrimp in overly seasoned boiling water....leave fire on for a minute or two and pull the shrimp, drain and put on plate to cool and finish cooking.

Comment

Frozen corn ears is what I use in to stop the cooking process in my crawfish. Keep it frozen until ready.

Comment

tagged

Comment

I use the frozen corn as well it definitely helps soak up some flavor

Comment

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X