Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #101
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Congrats, looking forward to more pics
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #102
monsterspike
Eight Point

good stuff boomer (c wat i did there). darton was gonna give an update too, maybe he went hollywood on us. love these okie threads.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #103
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
Well, Gracie and I made a weekend of it. Mowed, sprayed Remedy to keep from
having to weedeat, unloaded some essentials (bed, shower stuff, etc), exterminated inside and out before jumping on the tractor. You know itís a good day when everything starts!

Only thing I smooth forgot was to get my soil samples. Will have that on the ďto doĒ list for next trip.

Mowing only took a couple of hours. I was at the helm but next time, the kids will be mowing. They should turn it into nearly an all day affair.

View from the front porch.

Gracie found a good way to beat the heat.

I thought about crawling in with her.

Enjoyed my first evening on the new place with a campfire.

The former owner did a good job of cleaning the place off but there is still work to do. This is the first of several trips to the dump.

Have three barn cats that came with the place. One looks somewhat lame as one leg kicked off to the side as to tore out like a bat out of hades when I showed up. The one was in stealth mode.

Cycled my cams.

The does were still springin.

The older doe on the right is noticeably bigger.

Young bucks just starting to get some growth.

Have a group of foxes by the pond. They were big players on cam-2.

The sunset from up on the hill was peaceful.
https://youtu.be/UsZaujLv2Lw

Changed the locks and put my lock on the main gate. Great feeling.

God is good.
Whats in the weeds next to buck?

You have any sheds to show?

Congrats on the purchase
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #104
Iamhooked
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas,Oklahoma and Kansas

nice place. you will enjoy it. Thanks for the pics and update.
Iamhooked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #105
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post
good stuff boomer (c wat i did there). darton was gonna give an update too, maybe he went hollywood on us. love these okie threads.
Well executed, Sir. Translate ďHollywoodĒ for me.....I may or may not agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamhooked View Post
nice place. you will enjoy it. Thanks for the pics and update.
My pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
The first true visit where the feeling finally settled on you that you are the owner! Very happy for you!
It began to settle Saturday night. Sitting in the quiet beside the campfire knowing that I donít have to rush to do anything because this place will be there is an indescribable feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Congrats Booner! It only gets better!!!
Thatís incredibly encouraging because it feels great now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Congrats, looking forward to more pics
As soon as I can get back up I will. By the next trip we should have more antler growth and should be better able to differentiate between bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Whats in the weeds next to buck?

You have any sheds to show?

Congrats on the purchase
I believe that is Robby the Raccoon. One coon seems to like to eat with the deer.

Sheds, yes. Have some small and larger ones. hereís one of the medium ones.
And one for the firewood:

No sheds that Iíve seen yet. Have yet to walk the whole place though. Would like to do so with an antler dog. That would be fun.

More to come...
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #106
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Congratulations looking good . Hopefully one of those Oklahoma monster bucks will stroll through on your place !
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #107
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Default Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Congratulations looking good . Hopefully one of those Oklahoma monster bucks will stroll through on your place !

You know, that would be great but Iím really going to keep expectations very low for the first few years. I want to put in and maintain spring and winter food plots as well as do some supplemental feeding to give the local herd what I can, within reason. There is pasture in areas surrounding us but no crops that I can see. Iíve never driven the area in autumn or winter but we will see.

Hereís a view of whatís around us.

Our place is 90%+ hardwoods. I can see now that in a good acorn crop year our movement will be minimal. Our place and everything adjoining us to the East is land locked. Same way with the parcels joining us on the South, except one.

Currently Iíve got about 1.5 acres of tillable soil for a food plot. This is surrounding a pump jack and tank to the North of the house. The plan is to fertilize and plant it this summer.

There are a couple of small openings in the woods to the East. One is leading to the neighborís 30 acre field behind our place. Iíd like to open these up just a bit to create staging areas for the deer to stop and get a nibble on their way to the field.

Back to expectations, my goal this first fall is to help my 10 year old son harvest his first deer, help my 13 year old daughter take her next steps toward hunting independently, and spend time with my friends and family making memories. Anything more than this will be considered a bonus!

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 06-11-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:19 AM   #108
monsterspike
Eight Point

going hollywood is what tends to happen after hitting the big show. its not that they dont love their hometown, or ole buds anymore, its just that they literally have no time for their past life. its onward and upward for them, while the rest of us are left with only memories.

its a term of endearment and respect, as well as an attempt to hide obvious jealousy.

so booner, are you a fan of hinge cutting?? i love that wrap around 1.58 acres. you are going to hold deer and pull others it looks like. excellent situation!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #109
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
going hollywood is what tends to happen after hitting the big show. its not that they dont love their hometown, or ole buds anymore, its just that they literally have no time for their past life. its onward and upward for them, while the rest of us are left with only memories.

its a term of endearment and respect, as well as an attempt to hide obvious jealousy.

so booner, are you a fan of hinge cutting?? i love that wrap around 1.58 acres. you are going to hold deer and pull others it looks like. excellent situation!
So that's what its like making it to the show I knew it was something Appreciate you following along!
Darton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #110
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Man, that upper right hand quadrant next to the fields, is the bomb! What a pinch point.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #111
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:

Hingecutting may be in my future a few years down the road. Iíll be getting the lay of the land and a good handle on the travel patterns of the local herd before I even attempt to start making long lasting decisions about my place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Man, that upper right hand quadrant next to the fields, is the bomb! What a pinch point.

There is certainly allot of activity in that area. Have yet to place a camera up there but it is on the list to do.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #112
monsterspike
Eight Point

Quote:
So that's what its like making it to the show I knew it was something Appreciate you following along!
once a fella starts owning, flippin', and upgrading, personal hunting ranches, many consider that the show. me included.

i might end up yalls neighbor one day, but ill be one of them cow people, but i like havin' nice deer around also. i need a few things to come together, and the timing of my sale, and availability will dictate where i go. 1031, ya know, timing is everything.

at one point, that timing wouldve put me in hopkins, or leon, or red river, or delta counties, now, right where yall is looking pretty good.

im learnin' a heap from yall. thanks for the tours. any cow pasture pics are valued as well. God bless!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #113
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Well, Gracie and I made it back up to the place this weekend to continue the adventure. We drug the Kubota up and put her through her paces. The main field was overgrown and in need of some TLC in order to be ready for a fall food plot.

I remember seeing some large rocks when I walked the place before green up so I positioned the front end loaded just above the ground and proceeded with caution.

Found a few. The front end loader handled about half of them like a champ but there are others that will take a dozer to move.

Iím pleased with the first cut. It will take another before I spray in preparation for planting. Riding the tractor through this thick growth in 100 degree heat was a great way to spend some time. More than once on Saturday evening I just smiled and thanked the Lord for the new place. Itís an incredible feeling.

Pushed up all the pallets and junk into a burn pile.

Cycled the cams and the throng of does continues. Most look healthy and there are a few fawns making appearances. Cute little buggers.

There are a few adolescent bucks showing up also. No big boys yet but with the does that are all over this place that should remedy itself once they start smelling right.

I donít have any feeders out yet but plan to put one out on the next trip. Just have to get it ready.

Had to move some furniture and pick up some feeders as wells. Thanks for the help, Darton. Much appreciated. All in all a great weekend. Good times ahead!

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #114
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

Lookin good! Nothing like owning and working your plan on your own land. For me it’s been very rewarding.
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #115
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

You made some good progress this weekend! Place is nice!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #116
NotJose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, TX

Very cool. Your place is coming along nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NotJose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #117
Darton
Ten Point

Had to move some furniture and pick up some feeders as wells. Thanks for the help, Darton. Much appreciated. All in all a great weekend. Good times ahead![/QUOTE]

Not a problem! Happy to help and really look forward to all of the progress
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #118
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking.....

Up to date. Beautiful.
chrisgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #119
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Beautiful place. Enjoying the thread.
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #120
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJose View Post
Very cool. Your place is coming along nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
You made some good progress this weekend! Place is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Timer View Post
Beautiful place. Enjoying the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgunguy View Post
Up to date. Beautiful.

Thanks, Gents. Iíve got to pace myself. I have a dozen or more projects in my head but only so many hours in the day.

Also, Iím holding off and not doing much that has a lasting impact as I need to learn more about this place and have a more cohesive vision for what it will be. The good part is that it is in my time as I donít have to worry about a lease manager pushing me off the place, land owner taking my lease for his family to use, etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #121
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
Lookin good! Nothing like owning and working your plan on your own land. For me itís been very rewarding.

Exactly. Still smiling simply because of that. The thought that my kids will be able to enjoy this for years, as their friends have to contend with leases, increased competition, and more, is the icing on the cake.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #122
Rwc
Ten Point

I have really enjoyed your thread, I can't wait to see what the years bring for you and your piece of ground.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #123
RCDuck
Four Point

Hunt In: Love Co., OK

Quote:
Thanks, Gents. Iíve got to pace myself. I have a dozen or more projects in my head but only so many hours in the day.

Also, Iím holding off and not doing much that has a lasting impact as I need to learn more about this place and have a more cohesive vision for what it will be. The good part is that it is in my time as I donít have to worry about a lease manager pushing me off the place, land owner taking my lease for his family to use, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for your thread... I should do one as well, but I never seem to take the time to take many pictures. I closed on my place in Love County in December of 2016. Like you I spent most of the first year learning the place.... still lots to learn, and like you, I always have a long list of projects I'd like to do.... more food plots, possible seasonal wetlands for waterfowl, cabin, etc. Right now my main focus is getting more plots ready for the fall. I had great luck spring and fall with the plots I got done last year. This spring, no luck at all... the spring plots are nice when they work, but my timing was terrible this year, and I got almost no rain after planting.

It is an incredible feeling pulling up thru the front gate, knowing that the place is yours, and you can do whatever you want with it. We had a pretty good first season last year with a few deer and many opportunities for my 13 yr old son with his bow... he's was actually too picky and never took a shot, and didn't even want to get a gun tag during gun season. Now that I have a better idea of the herd, I told him he needed to be less selective... that's a nice problem to have.

Unlike you, we have a lot of pigs... I trapped/shot over 50 last winter... I don't mind having a few around, but I think we're going to have be as ruthless as possible on them to try to keep them in check. I don't mind having a few around, cuz it's always hunting season, but man do they make mowing a new plot tough... I don't have rocks like you, just a lot of hog craters.
RCDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #124
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDuck View Post
Thanks for your thread... I should do one as well, but I never seem to take the time to take many pictures. I closed on my place in Love County in December of 2016. Like you I spent most of the first year learning the place.... still lots to learn, and like you, I always have a long list of projects I'd like to do.... more food plots, possible seasonal wetlands for waterfowl, cabin, etc. Right now my main focus is getting more plots ready for the fall. I had great luck spring and fall with the plots I got done last year. This spring, no luck at all... the spring plots are nice when they work, but my timing was terrible this year, and I got almost no rain after planting.

It is an incredible feeling pulling up thru the front gate, knowing that the place is yours, and you can do whatever you want with it. We had a pretty good first season last year with a few deer and many opportunities for my 13 yr old son with his bow... he's was actually too picky and never took a shot, and didn't even want to get a gun tag during gun season. Now that I have a better idea of the herd, I told him he needed to be less selective... that's a nice problem to have.

Unlike you, we have a lot of pigs... I trapped/shot over 50 last winter... I don't mind having a few around, but I think we're going to have be as ruthless as possible on them to try to keep them in check. I don't mind having a few around, cuz it's always hunting season, but man do they make mowing a new plot tough... I don't have rocks like you, just a lot of hog craters.

Great info RCDuck. Sounds like we are walking the same path but you are a few steps ahead of me.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #125
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Purchased a feeder from local surplus hunting supply this past weekend and brought it back home to refurbish and get ready for the season. This feeder needs a bit of TLC but should be solid for the new place.

The drum has moderate rust build up.

There are allot of different magic interweb approaches to cleaning the rust off but Iím interested in hearing if anyone has had success with anything other than a wire brush and safety glasses?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #126
hog_down
Ten Point

Cup brush on a angle grinder. Wear a mask, eye/ear protection and some old clothes. Works great.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #127
Darton
Ten Point

Did it come with a warranty

Last edited by Darton; 07-18-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #128
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
Purchased a feeder from local surplus hunting supply this past weekend and brought it back home to refurbish and get ready for the season. This feeder needs a bit of TLC but should be solid for the new place.

The drum has moderate rust build up.

There are allot of different magic interweb approaches to cleaning the rust off but Iím interested in hearing if anyone has had success with anything other than a wire brush and safety glasses?
Did you mean to say you purchased it from an antique hunting supply?
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #129
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Cup brush on a angle grinder. Wear a mask, eye/ear protection and some old clothes. Works great.

Thanks, hog_down. Any chemical prep used to speed the removal?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #130
Iamhooked
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas,Oklahoma and Kansas

Ospho will help with the rust. Just brush off the loose rust and spray or brush it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Iamhooked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #131
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamhooked View Post
Ospho will help with the rust. Just brush off the loose rust and spray or brush it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Good info. They are proud of this stuff.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #132
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
Did you mean to say you purchased it from an antique hunting supply?

It was an out of the way place for sure!

The good part about old stuff is that it may be better built and last longer than the new stuff?!? Hoping...

Started doing some CPR on the motor housing this evening.

New battery + a little WD40 and...
https://youtu.be/CZysCTZqlM4

BOOM!
Old 07-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #133
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Did it come with a warranty

No sir. The Emporium I do business with is more of an ďall sales finalĒ outfit.

Good people but firm and final with all deals.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #134
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
No sir. The Emporium I do business with is more of an ďall sales finalĒ outfit.

Good people but firm and final with all deals.
Sounds like my kind of people
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #135
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds like my kind of people

Certainly not everyoneís cup of tea.

Found a chemical that takes the rust right off. Product called L-BO Grease.

Quite a bit of metal left on this classic.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #136
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Looks like you’ve been making good progress, the place looks great
Nothing better than working on a place and knowing it’s yours at the end of the workday
Keep up the work, will be following your progress
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #137
texaspacker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nota

Way to go. Man that is purdy! Now all you need is a storage container?
texaspacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #138
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

I was going to say the rust was a good camo color and just leave it alone.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 03:12 AM   #139
monsterspike
Eight Point

did they ever finish the study on why mature bucks are so attracted to rust?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #140
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I was going to say the rust was a good camo color and just leave it alone.
With the lease Iíve been on, a long term view has not been the focus. With this place Iím trying to do it once and do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReydonPete View Post
Looks like youíve been making good progress, the place looks great
Nothing better than working on a place and knowing itís yours at the end of the workday
Keep up the work, will be following your progress
With limited time on trips Iíve been hitting it hard. Itís been fun. Rewarding.

Quote:
did they ever finish the study on why mature bucks are so attracted to rust?

Nope. If this were the case my family would be legendary by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspacker View Post
Way to go. Man that is purdy! Now all you need is a storage container?

Come to think of it, I know where a low priced option can be found!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #141
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a company hired by the petroleum company to perform 3D seismic mapping of the subsurface deposits. With my place being 90% solid timber they were going to have to use large, industrial munchers to cut lanes through the timber to make room for the shot holes to be drilled. Once the lanes are in they essentially drill 30í deep coffee can size holes before setting off small charges and record/map the subsurface.

Here is a map. The proposed lanes are yellow.

The interesting thing is that I have been saving my pennies, nickels, and dimes to go toward hiring a dozer service to clear some lanes and make small kill plots. Now I have someone asking if they can pay me to to do the same thing.

It is about a $4000 swing as best I can estimate.

My only conditions for signing the contract were that the lanes would be at least twice as wide as normal and there would be no work impacting our deer hunting.

Has anyone had this type of work done before?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #142
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

The primer is on and itís starting to make the transition from rusted an antique to finely tuned, modern management tool.

I used Rust-oleumís rusty metal primer. Rolled it on.

Had enough to go ahead and to the inside as well.

The drum and stand should be good for as long as the kids need it.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #143
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Two coats later, sheís about done.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #144
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Another coat and a little accent paint and the feeder barrel and stand are ready for action.

Now attention turns to the hand winch.

She soaked up the WD-40 and sounds strong.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #145
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Booner Sooner your pretty handy
Work on feeder looks great
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #146
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReydonPete View Post
Booner Sooner your pretty handy
Work on feeder looks great

Thanks!

I havenít used a winch like this before. There is no latch/switch to disengage the brake. Wonít crank backwards as is so wondering if it has to be under load in order to do so.

Anyone with experience with this type of winch that can shed some light?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #147
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Getting prepped to head back up to the hilltop on Friday with the wife and kids in tow. Thanks to local neighbors and TBHrs getting rid of furniture Iíll be hauling more furnishings to the cabin.

Special thanks to ShockValue for donating and help loading the furniture.

Will be setting out the refurbished feeder and scouting some of the new lanes cut by the survey company. Some pics taken by Darton recently.

Will be taking a pole saw to help open up these a bit further. Looking forward to finding new possibilities for small kill plots and sets. Think these will be prime for clover. May set out some additional cameras to see if these are being used yet.

Also looking forward to seeing the kids mow the place

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-30-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #148
DZM
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

Looking great, in for all the progress

DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #149
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZM View Post
Looking great, in for all the progress

Canít wait to see the lanes that have been cut. Have that feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve....
Old 07-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #150
monsterspike
Eight Point

all signs point to this purchase being a good decision.