Pierced ears on an infant daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pierced ears on an infant daughter?

A couple that we know just had a daughter a few months ago. They are very close friends of ours. The wife mentioned the other day that she was considering getting the new infant daughter's ears pierced. And we saw on FB yesterday that she went through with it.

I had no idea people would actually do this. Is this actually a common thing? We dont have kids yet, but my wife and I were talking about it. We pretty much agreed that this is something that we would wait and let her decide when she wanted to do it, but only after we say no a few times, and that she's too young.

That just seemed so strange to me, and almost just.....wrong. I dunno, what do y'all think?
    Last edited by Grizz83; 08-18-2016, 08:03 AM.

Pretty common, I think. Not for my house, but see lots of little girls (way before old enough to have an opinion) that have pierced ears.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't do it, but I've seen it many times. Seems like a potential health hazard to me. I did see a boy (about 8 or 9) that had his ears pierced, seemed a little weird to me.

Comment

Very common in Hispanic culture.

I fought it as long as i could with our daughter.

Comment

Both of my daughters got it done when they were infants. I thought it was silly of my wife to even consider but who knows how that gender thinks. I DID NOT go with them to get it done. I just couldn't do it. She videoed both times and I watched later. I cringed and kept my mouth shut.

Comment

We had our daughter's ears pierced when she was pretty young, I can't remember exactly what age she was, but less than a year for sure. I can't remember our discussions on why we decided to do it, but we did. It seemed to be more traumatic on my wife than on the baby.

Comment

My daughter is 7. Last year she wanted her ears pierced and I said NO she is too young. Wife took her and did it anyway. Guess what. I was right and it hurt and didn't last long. Now they have grown back together and you can't even tell. I have seen it on infants and I think it's weird. I'd say 10-13 is prolly a good age.

Comment

It's pretty common. My step SIL had her little ones ears pierced when she was really young. But then again, she herself has multiple earrings and other piercing. So it was pretty much right up her ally to want to start poking holes in her daughter. I don't have kids myself. But I feel like parents having their little girls ears pierced is like the trade off of not being able to have them circumcised like a little boy. I know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but I just have this notion in my mind that this is partially the reason they do it.

Comment

My daughter had hers done when she was an infant. I teared up when it was done because my little girl completely ignored mom and reached for me once she started crying. I think she knew who's idea it was.

Richard.

Comment

I'm with you.. Seems ludicrous to me but w/e

Comment

My wife and I agree with you. Our 5 year old does not want them yet.

Comment

I have boys and never had to deal with it. I would choose to wait until they can make up their own mind though. Not sure what the wife would do. She was not allowed until 16 to get hers done.

Comment

I'm not trying to start a peeing match by this response at all. Anyone that knows me knows I'm not like that.

Nothing is strange or wrong with piercing your daughters ears as an infant. My stepdaughters' was done before her mother and I got together. If my wife and I would have had daughters instead of my 2 boys, my daughters would've had them done as well no doubt. I have to say 90% of my friends' daughters (that's about 10 of them total) all had their ears pierced as infants. I'm also not understanding why its any of your concern about what your friends do with their child.

Comment

we pierced our daughters ears early, she doesn't care, if she ends up not wanting to wear ear rings then she can take them out.

Comment

Don't get me started.......I could go off on this whole @!#$@#! and lose my sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X