300 acres protein or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 acres protein or not

i own 300 acres in kimble county - neighbors mostly large ranches ( 3000, 7500, 1500, though now im high fenced on one side. i usually feed protein in early spring and summer though not heavy - now that corn and protein are close in price in considering just doing protein ( not free choice - i dont have the time to go enough to fill em up that often - they drained 1200 lbs in 3wks when i tried that) - my question is - would feeding protein (i would assume 3 stations and id prob get 3 2000lb timed with trough - being low fenced - would it even make a difference in my deer quality?
    would be worth the investment?
    ( for more info - have white tail, some axis ( currently holding around 20 though they come and go and thank god survived the freeze), few syka, occasional black buck ( though not sure now)

any thoughts would be appreciated

I would.

The “family land” (it’s my parents place but that’s what they call it) is 152 acres. We’ve had a few feeders running protein for I believe 7 years now.

That’s a crab claw 8 at my feeder from before general season. I have a pic of him from about a month ago but can’t seem to find it. This is in Leon County by the way.

The antlers aren’t much for mass but the width is fairly nice. We’ve definitely noticed a difference in body mass. The boy in the picture above is 6-7 years old and he’s heavy for that area.

Biggest issue you’ll have is keeping them local, especially if one or more of the neighboring properties is feeding as well. We don’t really have that problem as most around us feed corn, if anything at all, and we run a couple of corn feeders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would do it. You may not see immediate results but you will long term.

Comment

Other than the cost, I don't see a downside...

Comment

Yes

Comment

yes

Comment

I would do but neighbors will benefit most...my2c

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yup

Comment

Yes, and twice on Sunday. Neighbors will always be an issue, even if your not feeding protein. Feed the protein if you are wanting to benefit the herd overall and increase body size and antler mass.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Yes, and your neighbors won't mind!

Comment

Feed all you can. Will attract animals & hold them on your place. It does make a difference long term.

Comment

Yes

Comment

The answer is yes. Also you might consider cottonseed as well. The feeders are easy to setup, it’s cheap, and last a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X