Wild Pig Paralysis Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Pig Paralysis Question

So two weeks ago I came across a wild pig on the ranch road and it was just laying there. My dog ran up sniffed it and went on, then I walked up to it and saw its ear twitch, so I backed up and indeed it was breathing. I watched it for a minute or two and then it got up and jotted into the woods about 15 yds and laid back down. My son and his friend came out the next day and found it in the same area and dispatched it. I thought it may have been pregnant or had complications from birthing a litter.

But I am out there again yesterday and I run across another pig in the same shape. Looks like the back legs are paralyzed and was unable to run off. So I googled it and found a couple of things it might be but was wondering if anyone here had seen something like this before? There are cows on the property and surrounding properties so I don't think poisoning is the cause. Maybe a virus or something?

Attached Files

Could it possibly be from that experimental poisoning that's being used in certain areas?Not supposed to effect anything but hogs.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Strange you should mention this! I remember last year I had a little sow about 70-80# or so that would show up at my feeder or I’d see from the road an when I’d try to spook it/run it off, it would turn to run and just fall down. It would get back up an run a little way and crash again. It looked otherwise healthy but would stagger around like it was “falling down drunk.” Far as I know, none of us ever killed it.

Comment

Maybe something from ticks?

Comment

Where are you located at?, I heard the state was going to test the poison at select WMA's around the state.

Comment

Did you notice any bullet holes on the hind legs? Could a neighbor be shooting them in the rear so they can still run off but likely die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Drunk from apples

Comment

Might be worth a call to the County Extension Agent?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                  Could it possibly be from that experimental poisoning that's being used in certain areas?Not supposed to effect anything but hogs.
                  ^^^That was my first thought.

I hate hogs as much as anyone but not sure the poisoning is a good thing because we all know da g00bermint tests things so effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                    ^^^That was my first thought.

I hate hogs as much as anyone but not sure the poisoning is a good thing because we all know da g00bermint tests things so effectively.
                    Reason I don't like the idea is when " da goberment" stops us from deer hunting because of CWD, hogs are gonna be our saving grace!

Comment

Google coffee sena or something like that. I remember my ex FIL talking about how it would paralyze cattle. It's a long stemmy plant that has long seed pods. I can't load pics
                      Last edited by BrandonA; 11-29-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

A call to the game warden asking if he knew of any testing of poison going on or to get it tested to find what it is and if it can spread to the cattle .

Comment

No wounds or bullet holes in the one that was killed. Looked healthy except for not being able to use it's back legs. No WMA near me.

The first one did appear to labor in breathing until it got up and hobbled away.

There is a sounder of about 25 just wondering if the others will get it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            Google coffee sena or something like that. I remember my ex FIL talking about how it would paralyze cattle. It's a long stemmy plant that has long seed pods. I can't load pics
                            From what I read " coffee senna" is a possibility. ???

Comment

Ronnie, thanks for posting that! I just looked that up and that stuff is very common on our place in Liberty County... A distinct possibility for the case I witnessed...

Comment

Working...
                              X