No announcement yet.

Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No safety for me on a striker fired carry pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
      Using a gun magnet under the dash is not in plain view.
      Also, they do not enforce "in a holster provision" also. I have been pulled over a few times for speeding and have informed (and removed) my pistol from the center console several times over the years. Once by HPD, once by DPS, and once by the Border Patrol checking me out.
      It all depends on how it’s mounted.

I would not mess with someone with an LTC but would tell the person that I work with officers that will lock you up and I highly suggest that you hide that handgun unless you want to lose your LTC.

Comment

My striker fire has a safety but I only engage it when I am removing the weapon from the holster. When it is in the holster, safety is off.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          It all depends on how it’s mounted.

I would not mess with someone with an LTC but would tell the person that I work with officers that will lock you up and I highly suggest that you hide that handgun unless you want to lose your LTC.
          Thanks
          It is always out of sight.

Comment

I prefer so safety opposed to having a safety on my shield.
            Less you have to worry about if you need to draw in a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              It’s great to say train, muscle memory, blah,blah, blah but the reality is the majority of people carrying shoot a couple times a year.

The ones who actually practice and train are very rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              True stuff right here, and I can say as I get older I am guilty of not 'training' as much as I used to, or should.

I shoot a lot, but I dont really consider it 'training' for any type of CC situation. That said, once I clear my shirt, there is no safety to worry about!
              Last edited by -HIC-; 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Ruger original LC9. When it comes out of the holster my trigger finger is down the slide and my thumb takes off the safety as it come out. Takes practice like putting on a seat belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                  I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.
                  Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because I’m assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.
                  I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I don’t like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?
                  I re read the original post and understand that when the OP is not carrying the gun he will stick it on a magnet under or lower on the dash.

So the firearm will not be in plain view while it is under or lower on the dash stuck to a magnet, with a loaded round and no safety?

I would not be comfortable with that for one reason. While that firearm is stuck to magnet you really do not have control over it until you place your hand on it and remove it from the magnet. If there was some sort of situation and the firearm was "taken" from the magnet from someone other than you with no safety on it and a loaded round could create a serious issue.

I guess everybody has their own opinions on this situation, but just seems like if you got familiar enough with the firearm with a safety it would not be a big deal to have it.

Not trying to stir the pot or create arguments, maybe I'm just too old to not have a safety on my firearms.

Comment

I prefer a safety

Comment

I never carry a charged firearm unless I have an immediate plan to use it. I was sitting at the table with my family at the restaurant and thought to myself. If I had my pistol in my pocket it would be pointing at my wife and child across the table with a bullet in the chamber. The only thing protecting them from getting accidentally shot would be a man made safety or chance.

So I decided to never carry hot and if the opportunity for a quick draw self defense arises i would just not be shooting. I’m not a fan of carry hot. And I really don’t think quick drawing is going to save my life. If someone has the drop on you then you are prob dead if you try to draw. I think the piece will save me in certain situation and my patience and ability to de escalate will have to get menthru the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mauler View Post
                        I never carry a charged firearm unless I have an immediate plan to use it. I was sitting at the table with my family at the restaurant and thought to myself. If I had my pistol in my pocket it would be pointing at my wife and child across the table with a bullet in the chamber. The only thing protecting them from getting accidentally shot would be a man made safety or chance.

So I decided to never carry hot and if the opportunity for a quick draw self defense arises i would just not be shooting. I’m not a fan of carry hot. And I really don’t think quick drawing is going to save my life. If someone has the drop on you then you are prob dead if you try to draw. I think the piece will save me in certain situation and my patience and ability to de escalate will have to get menthru the others.

If it's on your hip if somehow it magically goes off the barrel is pointed straight down.

So what are you going to do when your other hand is unavailable? Better freshen up on racking the slide with your leg.
                        Last edited by WhiplashTX; 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM. Reason: quote missing

Comment

I carry a glock .40. No safety required, which I like. When if, hopefully never the time comes I don’t want that split second of my time flicking the safety off to determine mine or my family’s life. BUT, i think no matter how you carry you need to be comfortable and confident in what your decision is and not have a second guess in the back of your mind if the opportunity ever came. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Addicted2bh View Post
                            I carry a glock .40. No safety required, which I like. When if, hopefully never the time comes I don’t want that split second of my time flicking the safety off to determine mine or my family’s life. BUT, i think no matter how you carry you need to be comfortable and confident in what your decision is and not have a second guess in the back of your mind if the opportunity ever came. Just my 2 cents.
                            The OP first post was stating that he would take the gun out of the holster when he got in his car and place it on a magnet on the dash. Which would leave the firearm near him . Totally different scenario when a loaded firearm with no safety is stuck to magnet on a car dash.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                              If it's on your hip if somehow it magically goes off the barrel is pointed straight down.

So what are you going to do when your other hand is unavailable? Better freshen up on racking the slide with your leg.
                              So if a pistol pointed straight down goes off does the bullet just disappear into the floor? Or will it fracture, ricochet and go unintended directions that may or may not be safe. I carry in my pocket and the direction of the barrel changes with the direction of my leg.

My next carry pistol will likely be a revolver that I can Operate one handed.

I don’t envision myself in a scenario where I will be quick drawing with an assailant. I think if I am in that situation and I reach for a pistol that I will be dead before I even get my hand on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mauler View Post

not trying to be hard or rude,, but your better off not carrying if this is truly your mind set,,,,, i spent 30 years on the streets as an leo,,,, being able to draw fast kept me from HAVING to shoot several people who were reaching for weapons,,,, i have also drawn from concealed in my own business and they also changed there minds about the actions they intended...

if it is not hot it is not worth having, because when things go bad, they go very fast,,, some people simply can not be talked down and your wife becomes a widow and children fatherless because you would not spend the time to practice, or buy the right weapon.....

either do it right or just don't do it ,,, i personally know two police officers who were robbed because they did not do things right,,both decided to fight for their wallets, both had a gun,, 20 feet away! both got beat up pretty bad..
                                Last edited by xman59; 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X