No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I don't even want to know your yearly bill for food plots and protein. Nice work.

Comment

Growing Predator Control

Today is May 21 and fawning season is upon us. I know a lot of folks are concerned that predators negatively impact their fawning success and take aggressive steps to eliminate as many coyotes, and bobcats as possible. I have no problem with that I just choose a different approach to fawn survival . My strategy is to grow my predator control.

Here on the farm I have numerous road right of ways ranging about 2-3 chains wide. There are numerous clover fields scattered around as well as fields of NWSG. 2 years ago I thinned an 80 acre predominantly pine forest. Last year I thinned about 300 acres of hardwood.All of the timber has been managed within the last 10 yrs.

The outcome of all this is outstanding fawning cover. The ROW's and other openings are knee to chest deep in grasses. The clover fields have standing wheat and rye grass [ which is impossible for me to get rid of ] and misc. weeds again knee to chest high with great clover underneath. The timber is a jungle. The net effect is that there are places all over the farm to hide fawns. Heck a fairly large herd of giraffes could successfully fawn here. The result is a consistently high fawn survival rate.

I also check fawn survival about green up. Same thing, while there is always some over winter mortality survival rates are high enough to satisfy. So rather than trying to fight nature I prefer to take a lazy mans approach and let nature do all the work. Also lets me enjoy one of my farm goals and that is magnificent abundance.

Comment

First batch of honey in for the year. Very light colored. Suspect mostly clover. 8 gallons plus all the little honey bears
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          first batch of honey in for the year. Very light colored. Suspect mostly clover. 8 gallons plus all the little honey bears
          score!!!!

Comment

First batch of honey in for the year. Very light colored. Suspect mostly clover. 8 gallons plus all the little honey bears
            Dang, ya'll were awesome before, and now bees and honey??
            That is really, really cool.

Comment

That’s really cool. Growing trophy deer, a trophy vegetable garden and now trophy honey. Well done sir!

Comment

The 'factory'. Smack dab in the middle of the farm next to a small lake and a 5 acre clover field.
                Attached Files

Comment

That honey looks so good, just like all your plots.

Rwc

Comment

The 'factory'. Smack dab in the middle of the farm next to a small lake and a 5 acre clover field.

Very cool
                    [emoji1417][emoji1417][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks. This is helpful.

Comment

Love me some honey, I got 2 and a half gallons out of a rent house last week!

Comment

Sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflower planted late April. The mix has done really well everywhere planted this year. This with heavy utilization.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dang

Comment

Holy smokes! That’s a jungle!

Comment

Sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflower planted late April. The mix has done really well everywhere planted this year. This with heavy utilization.
                                Looking awesome Gato! Just need a little devil's lettuce in the mix

Comment

Working...
                                X