Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 20% vs. Double Down Deer Feed - Side by Side experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
    It’s nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.

I’ll post the results regardless and folks can interpret them how they wish....flawed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I have tried my own comparison for what it's worth. I put DD and L&E side by side in two 300 pound feeders 3 years ago. The DD feeder was empty when I went to check them in 16 days. The two feeders had been at the same place for 2 years next to each other when I did my comparison. There was about 175 lbs of L&E left in the other feeder. I topped off the L&E with DD and filled the other 300 lb feeder with DD again. Twenty one days later the DD feeder was empty again and the other feeder still had about fifty pounds of L&E under the DD I had put on top of it. That is my experience I'm sure different areas show different results. DD has the ingredients I like and I'm happy with it. Both DD and L&E are good products I think but I'm feeding what I think has helped my herd tremendously in 3 years.
        Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. Im curious to see what your deer eat first hope your efforts work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket Cowboy View Post
          I have tried my own comparison for what it's worth. I put DD and L&E side by side in two 300 pound feeders 3 years ago. The DD feeder was empty when I went to check them in 16 days. The two feeders had been at the same place for 2 years next to each other when I did my comparison. There was about 175 lbs of L&E left in the other feeder. I topped off the L&E with DD and filled the other 300 lb feeder with DD again. Twenty one days later the DD feeder was empty again and the other feeder still had about fifty pounds of L&E under the DD I had put on top of it. That is my experience I'm sure different areas show different results. DD has the ingredients I like and I'm happy with it. Both DD and L&E are good products I think but I'm feeding what I think has helped my herd tremendously in 3 years.
          Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. Im curious to see what your deer eat first hope your efforts work for you.
          Interesting. The ranch I just bought was feeding DD for the past year but we switched to L&E. On the DD they were eating 1000# feeder to empty in about 14-21 days. I am curious to see what is happening with the L&E now.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
            Interesting. The ranch I just bought was feeding DD for the past year but we switched to L&E. On the DD they were eating 1000# feeder to empty in about 14-21 days. I am curious to see what is happening with the L&E now.
            Monitor your herds body weight and antler mass this year compared to last since changing your feed plan. I have been very impressed with my herds progress in both. I added 2 new feeders in January to my ranch and I started feeding protein year round 15 months ago.
            Congratulations on your new ranch. Fun times.

Comment

My experience in Terrell County is that you best return in two weeks, not 70 days as there is not going to be any evidence left....
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

I am interested in the results. Thanks for doing it.

Comment

Blackgold, thanks for doing the best you can with what you have to work with. Keep us posted on results.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket Cowboy View Post

Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. .

I gotta call BS when it’s obvious so people here can use common sense and good judgement when making a comparison. First off, I think DD is an excellent feed, but use basic math when testing certain claims or rumors.
                    Peanuts used in feed have a fat percentage of 40%, so if half the mix was peanuts then the fat percentage of DD would be 20%.... It is 3.5% fat. Use that to tell you how many pounds of peanuts are in each ton.

Comment

Half the mix is not peanuts. Almost half of this formulation is cottonseed meal and peanuts. Peanuts are running about 39% fat and cottonseed meal from most crushing plants in Texas is about 1.2% Fat. The combination of the two plus other ingredients and minerals will get you to a MINIMUM of 3.5 fat.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTexas14 View Post
                        Half the mix is not peanuts. Almost half of this formulation is cottonseed meal and peanuts. Peanuts are running about 39% fat and cottonseed meal from most crushing plants in Texas is about 1.2% Fat. The combination of the two plus other ingredients and minerals will get you to a MINIMUM of 3.5 fat.

So then peanuts should be less than 10%.... Thanks for the info SouthTexas14.

Comment

Right around there, yes.

Comment

I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isn’t that more the goal of a feed lot?

Should have put a pile of corn next to the protein and see which is gone first.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isn’t that more the goal of a feed lot?

Should have put a pile of corn next to the protein and see which is gone first.

The more high quality protein feed a deer eats, the better condition he will be, and therefore more nutrients stored for better antler growth and post rut recovery. Same thing goes for does...more nutrition would mean better ability to carry a fawn and then milk production.
                              Seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

No idea how a pile of corn would come into play when comparing two protein feeds, but anyway.....

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                                The more high quality protein feed a deer eats, the better condition he will be, and therefore more nutrients stored for better antler growth and post rut recovery. Same thing goes for does...more nutrition would mean better ability to carry a fawn and then milk production.
                                Seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

No idea how a pile of corn would come into play when comparing two protein feeds, but anyway.....

So is it still the goal for it to be a supplement or the herds primary ration for the day?

Comment

Working...
                                X