Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County
Default Elk Hunt - Accubond Long Range v. Hornady Precision Hunter

If both of these rounds are equally accurate out of my rifle, which one of these bullets would you choose and why for an elk hunt?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
cbrown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will hunt 4 food

I dont have any experience with the precision hunter but I have shot a lot of animals with accubonds and they have worked excellent. I load accubonds for whatever rifle I take elk hunting each year. Either 30-06 or 300 wsm.
cbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

What distance are you planning on shooting? What caliber are you carrying?
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Since when did they start making accubond and hornady arrows???

I would go with the hornady, but I am sure the experts will chime in soon.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
tminc
Eight Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

accubonds fo me, hornady has eldx bullets in them, the jury is still out on these bullets.at close range ive heard they come apart.ive got some but i havent seen their performance on big game yet.
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

First, what caliber and bullet weight are you considering? Not because you need input on that, which you will invariably will get (not from me), but because that affects the comparison of bullets for the application.

I really like the Ballistic Studies website discussion of factory loads. It seems the most objective to me in a world where opinions are a dime a dozen.

The Precision Hunter is loaded with ELD-X bullets.
I've had great success with them on pretty tough game... including a one shot kill on an auodad at 335 yards with a 117gr. .25 cal bullet.
The two are very similar... I like the positive interlock of the ELD-X over the mysterious "unique proprietary bonding process" used in the Accubond. On that basis I like the Partition over the Accubond as well, but you didn't ask that.
No doubt the Accubonds have a long history of superb performance.. when good caliber and weight choices are made for the application.
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Since when did they start making accubond and hornady arrows???

I would go with the hornady, but I am sure the experts will chime in soon.
I told my elk outfitter I was planning to use Easton FMJs in September and he lit up.
meltingfeather is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminc View Post
accubonds fo me, hornady has eldx bullets in them, the jury is still out on these bullets.at close range ive heard they come apart.ive got some but i havent seen their performance on big game yet.
I specifically mentioned the Accubond Longrange which also have a real tendency to come apart at close range. We were loading them in 2 different rifles and after last years performance we are switching everything back to regular Accubonds
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Hurricanebow
Spike

Hunt In: Parker County

If it were me, I'd choose the Accubonds. I've always wanted to like Hornady ammo, but I typically haven't seen results I like at the range or in the field with Hornady. Nosler products, on the other hand, have always performed more consistently, at least in my experience. I'm sure some others have had experiences to the contrary. I have more faith in Partitions and Accubonds, sometimes that makes the difference, faith in your equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Hurricanebow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanebow View Post
Nosler products, on the other hand, have always performed more consistently, at least in my experience.
That has been my experience too. The 180 partitions are really accurate in my .300 winmag. Dropped a 300# aoudad with one well placed shot at 200 yards with excellent expansion.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

I am a avid re loader and long range hunter with a rifle as well . I would suggest you to look into a Barnes tipped TSX . I have never had these bullets ever fail even with it has hit bone it will never come apart . 99-100 5 weight after the shot . I know it was not the two you had listed but my go to bullet for stopping thick skinned large animals has been Barnes . I have tried many others and and no longer look any further . If you not a re loader then buy it loaded You did not mention what caliber so hard to say or even suggest a weight per say good luck on your hunt .
HDWRENCH is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I've not been happy with the 143 ELDX in my .264 Win Mag. I've taken several deer at less than 100yds and the bullets came apart. I shoot either 165 or 180 gr Nosler Partitions out of my .300 Win Mag.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

From what I’ve seen with the eldx you have to shoot through bone for them to perform correctly. Soft tissue or thin bone hits they won’t exit. Weird I know but I spent a lot of time with these these past two years and shooting deer on the Ranch I help on.
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #14
TxAg
Pope & Young

I'm in a similar position and leaning towards the accubonds (.308 165 gr)
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Good info I have seen the same thing with the items listed where as the TTSX will open each and every time Thin skin thick bone you name it . I have only recovered 1 bullet. My buddy shot a Cow moose and it was a quartering shot the bullet had smashed shoulder and pelvis and was just under the skin in the rump . 300 winmag 180 weight bullet .

it weighed 98% of original. text book peel back
HDWRENCH is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
cb4128
Ten Point

I've had exits on the 2 mature whitetail bucks with the 143gr eldx in my creedmoor at moderate ranges - 100-125yds. Great blood trails on both that a kid could follow - shot both through the shoulders and took out the lungs.

Maybe at the increased velocities in the 264wm they are not holding together?
cb4128 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4128 View Post
I've had exits on the 2 mature whitetail bucks with the 143gr eldx in my creedmoor at moderate ranges - 100-125yds. Great blood trails on both that a kid could follow - shot both through the shoulders and took out the lungs.

Maybe at the increased velocities in the 264wm they are not holding together?

That's what I think.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Accubond all the way for me. I killed a nice whitetail this past year at 302 yards with a 140 gr. Accubond in my 7/08. Complete pass through and the deer spun around and fell over dead.

If not the Accubond, I'd used the Barnes TTSX. I shoot them in my 7 RSAUM and my 257 Roberts. I've never recovered a bullet and all critters dropped where they stood.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
I specifically mentioned the Accubond Longrange which also have a real tendency to come apart at close range. We were loading them in 2 different rifles and after last years performance we are switching everything back to regular Accubonds
The Accubond Long Range doesn't have the reputation of the Accubond. Quite the opposite. Most of the responses address the Accubond and not the Long Range version. I have no experience with the Hornady Precision Hunter. Based on the reputation of these two bullets, I'd go to the original Accubond or look at the TSX or TTSX, both of which are wonderful.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

My choice would be a regular accubond.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #21
Walker
Ten Point

Nothing wrong with the regular old hornady interlocks.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
Kurtproy
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Nosler Accubond 165gr out of my 308, dropped a bull in his tracks at 200yds. Also laid over a 200lb sow at 250yds, she ran about 20 yds. Great blood trail. Tikka T3 loves them, tight groups.
Kurtproy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtproy View Post
Nosler Accubond 165gr out of my 308, dropped a bull in his tracks at 200yds. Also laid over a 200lb sow at 250yds, she ran about 20 yds. Great blood trail. Tikka T3 loves them, tight groups.

Similar experience, same ammo with my 270 & 130 grain...bull was doubled lunged & went 60 yards
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #24
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
The Accubond Long Range doesn't have the reputation of the Accubond. Quite the opposite. Most of the responses address the Accubond and not the Long Range version. I have no experience with the Hornady Precision Hunter. Based on the reputation of these two bullets, I'd go to the original Accubond or look at the TSX or TTSX, both of which are wonderful.

LWD

You and I agree and making the same point. The OP asked about LRAB while most of the responses are focused on the tried and true Accubond.

From my experience the Longrange are too fragile for dependable penetration on shorter range shots (inside 250)
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #25
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Elk are where you find them. Sometimes it's 300 yards, sometimes it's 10 yards. Why limit your effective bullet to a design made for strictly long range? I really believe a hunting round made to perform strictly at long range is irresponsible and unethical. We (humans) can sometimes micro-manage the heck out of something that's so simple. Elk have very large vitals. There are tons of bullets that perform well at "hunting distances" so why limit yourself to a design that reduces your "effective" range (In the case of long-range bullets, you are reducing your effective range to greater than 200 yards)
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #26
6.5 shooter
Eight Point

Put a good shot on the animal and both bullets will drop it.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #27
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

In my experience with any brand that makes a jacketed bullet with a polymer tip, they are less accurate, lower performing in about every category than any other jacketed type. BUT they will still kill just as well as any other bullet.

I would go with whatever you're most confident in, and be ready for a follow up shot because Elk are big animals and at times can soak up some lead.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top