Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #51
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Gave up on China made costas a long time ago. They break, if you sneeze hard. Sure the warranty might be good, but it's no fun being without or having to go through the process. Might give KAENON a try. Made in Italy, quality second to none, and a warranty every bit as good as Costa. I own 2 pair, the first pair I ever bought, are now 7 yrs old. They have been sat on, fallin off the car going down the highway, knocked off my head, slung against a wall, and all kinds of hell. I bought a new pair because I got tired of looking at em. Costas, Oakleys, etc..are crap imo, people are just hung up on the name because it's popular. They are the Crafstman of the sunglass world, and Kaenons would be the Snap On of the sunglass world.
Strictly talking polorized here, for fishing, boating, etc...They don't make glasses that aren't.
Definitely worth a look, if you want something beyond the norm.
I switched to Kaenon several years ago when Costa wouldn't warranty a pair of glasses that broke while sitting in their case. They were literally in their case sitting in my truck and a lens cracked.

Couldn't be happier with Kaenon.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #52
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

I buy mine in the safety glasses section at Home Depot. $10-$12, impact resistant plastic and almost indestructible. They block sunlight like the $200 ones do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #53
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
I fell getting in the boat last year and broke my old ones with my face on the chair in the boat. I sent them to Costa and they told me sorry and I could pay $170.00 to have them fixed... Well I can get 30% off if I get 6 people to join in, so I just did that and got new ones... I'm now on the look out for 6 people that need new shades again, and its much easier to find people in the spring time that need glasses!
I just sent in two pairs of Fathoms, one 580G and another 400P, both were broken by me, frames and lenses. They replaced both with brand new Fathoms with 580G lenses for $211 total, so they upgraded one set of glasses. I’ve been recycling these glasses through their repair program for probably 8 years or more. I couldn’t be happier with Costa and their repair program, especially since I tend to break a pair every other year or so. I’m a lifetime Costa customer.

I have worn the Smith optics and those are really nice glasses, if I ever left Costa I would go with Smith.

Last edited by JES; 06-14-2018 at 11:26 AM.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #54
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
I buy mine in the safety glasses section at Home Depot. $10-$12, impact resistant plastic and almost indestructible. They block sunlight like the $200 ones do.

Bill have you ever owned a high end pair of sunglasses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #55
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I just sent in two pairs of Fathoms, one 580G and another 400P, both were broken by me, frames and lenses. They replaced both with brand new Fathoms with 580G lenses for $211 total, so they upgraded one set of glasses. Iíve been recycling these glasses through their repair program for probably 8 years or more. I couldnít be happier with Costa and their repair program, especially since I tend to break a pair every other year or so. Iím a lifetime Costa customer.

I have worn the Smith optics and those are really nice glasses, if I ever left Costa I would go with Smith.
I don't understand this. I only broke the lenses on the ones I had last year, and they wanted $170.00 to fix it. Well I could get the same pair brand new for $210.00 so I just got new ones.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #56
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Bill have you ever owned a high end pair of sunglasses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, they made a big difference when I fished. But Iíd break or lose them!

Bill in San Jose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #57
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
I miss my Maui Jims - got them stolen 2 weeks ago. They were a gift. Still have the case and flower bag to mourn over.
I was in Europe last year and got my Costas stolen off my hat in a Paris subway and ended buying a new pair of Maui Jims in Italy. They are okay but I like the Costas better.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #58
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
I fell getting in the boat last year and broke my old ones with my face on the chair in the boat. I sent them to Costa and they told me sorry and I could pay $170.00 to have them fixed... Well I can get 30% off if I get 6 people to join in, so I just did that and got new ones... I'm now on the look out for 6 people that need new shades again, and its much easier to find people in the spring time that need glasses!
So all 6 buyers get 30% off of their purchase if we go in together?
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #59
jmac24
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I found a 50% off of my order coupon code "BEST" ..So I ordered two pairs for $45, see what happens.
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #60
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Agreed. I have had my Smith Caymans for 12 years and I wear them every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
Check out Smith Optics some time... Great company that has been around a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
I have three pair of Smith Optics, all polarized and love them. I had a problem with the lenses on one pair and sent them back and they replaced them no questions asked.

I have heard good things about Shady Rays though.
I've been wearing Smith glasses since the late 90's. They fit great, are durable, and the warranty is amazing. I had a pair of frames that decided to crack after wearing them for 10 years. They sent me a new frame. When they say lifetime, they really mean it. I bought out all the lenses they had for my glasses, since they were discontinued a year or two back. I'm nearly out of lenses. Gonna have to try aftermarket.

I have no idea how folks manage to break so many glasses. Mine last on average about 10 years. I have one pair of frames that I now keep in my travel bag that I bought over 15 years ago.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #61
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Been using Oakleys for quite some time, sadly my lense style (Hybrid s) has been discontinued on the main website and I had to go to a bigger lense style...
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #62
TX_H-F
Eight Point

Hunt In: all over tx,mostly milam co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
Check out Smith Optics some time... Great company that has been around a long time.
I got my smiths on right now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
TX_H-F is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #63
Raleigh
Ten Point

I have Maui Jims, Costa, and Revo. I find myself wearing the Revos all the time and by far cheaper than the other two.
Raleigh is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #64
JES
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't understand this. I only broke the lenses on the ones I had last year, and they wanted $170.00 to fix it. Well I could get the same pair brand new for $210.00 so I just got new ones.
They are inconsistent, I think it depends on the person that handles your case.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #65
JES
Ten Point

Less than 2 week turnaround

Old Today, 07:13 AM   #66
HelmCrusher
Six Point

Hunt In: Nome,Tx (lease) & Angelina NF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABroussard View Post
Not to hijak, but Flying fisherman glasses are also very affordable compared to costa prices and the quality is great. Sorry I don't have any info on the shadys though.
I have a pair of these and for the price they are awesome!
HelmCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #67
catslayer
Pope & Young

How do you "go through Costas" just send them in for warranty
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top