Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County
Default Heat treating some blades

I never get tired of heat treating. To me it's like a box of CrackerJacks. You never know what's inside til you open it up. I did these 4 blades in Parks 50 and used an interrupted quench method for these natural lines. Even the old 1084 tried to give me some pattern. Pretty neat stuff for not using any clay, just a straight stab into the oil until it flames then out for a 3 count and back in and out for 3 counts until cool enough to handle with thin leather gloves. After two 2 hour 400 degree tempering cycles a 3 minute dip in the FC shows me where they are hardest at. Now the real work begins and it's hot as hades in my shop. Maybe I'll just go take a nap a pick up where I left off in the morning.
Attached Images

muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

I have begun experimenting with double quenching on some steels. I got the technique from a guy that has been working in heat treatment for Haliburton down hole tools for almost 30 years.
The purpose of this method is to further refine both austenite and martensite grain size. It does take some finesse in a gas forge to keep from decarbing the metal. So far the blades have responded extremely well to sharpening and edge holding especially the crucible carbon steels. They have also tested fairly high for hardness after tempering. I may try going to 3 tempering cycles and soften them a point more. RC 63 and higher are pretty slow to grind an edge bevel on.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

Looks very cool! Be sure to show the finished product!
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Bjankowski
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I have begun experimenting with double quenching on some steels. I got the technique from a guy that has been working in heat treatment for Haliburton down hole tools for almost 30 years.
The purpose of this method is to further refine both austenite and martensite grain size. It does take some finesse in a gas forge to keep from decarbing the metal. So far the blades have responded extremely well to sharpening and edge holding especially the crucible carbon steels. They have also tested fairly high for hardness after tempering. I may try going to 3 tempering cycles and soften them a point more. RC 63 and higher are pretty slow to grind an edge bevel on.
I triple quench all my 52100 and rarely use oil on anything anymore. I guess if I used more 1084 I would use oil. I'm still hooked on my brine mixture that's a variation of the super quench recipe, except I use a lot more salt and borax in my mixture in my five gallon mix.
Bjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
WTJim
Eight Point

I like the 2nd W2 you have designed. What is the length of cutting edge?
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
I like the 2nd W2 you have designed. What is the length of cutting edge?
Didn't measure but approx 4".
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Looks very cool! Be sure to show the finished product!
Here they are. Just finished sharpening them. Took most all morning. Still need to make sheaths and a little more Teak oil on the woods.
Attached Images