Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Bowdacious
Six Point
 
Bowdacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio TX
Hunt In: Webb Co
Default OTC Idaho Elk

Planning on making the trip up to Idaho in September for my first elk hunt. Still trying to nail down the unit but it will be a diy hunt. I have been searching all over TBH, Rokslide, and Idfg and still feel like I have a lot to learn. I am coming to the green screen to ask for any advice or tips, for gear, or just the trip in general.
Thanks in advice!
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
dtu11
Ten Point
 
dtu11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Schertz (San Antonio)
Hunt In: Junction, New Mexico (Unit 23 for 2013)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdacious View Post
Planning on making the trip up to Idaho in September for my first elk hunt. Still trying to nail down the unit but it will be a diy hunt. I have been searching all over TBH, Rokslide, and Idfg and still feel like I have a lot to learn. I am coming to the green screen to ask for any advice or tips, for gear, or just the trip in general.
Thanks in advice!
I've done OTC in Idaho before. I've also hunted in Colorado and NM numerous times.

I see that you're in San Antonio...would be more than happy to meet up and share what I know. I live in Schertz so just pick a place and a time. If that doesn't work then we can chat over the phone.

LMK
dtu11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
brokeno
Ten Point
 
brokeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Smiley, Texas
Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere
Default

I think you had to buy the license last December
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
TWarren
Four Point
 
TWarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Out of a tent
Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico
Default

Planning on backcountry or truck camping?
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
Bowdacious
Six Point
 
Bowdacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio TX
Hunt In: Webb Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtu11 View Post
I've done OTC in Idaho before. I've also hunted in Colorado and NM numerous times.

I see that you're in San Antonio...would be more than happy to meet up and share what I know. I live in Schertz so just pick a place and a time. If that doesn't work then we can chat over the phone.

LMK
Pm sent
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Bowdacious
Six Point
 
Bowdacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio TX
Hunt In: Webb Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
Planning on backcountry or truck camping?
It depends which area I end up going to but probably backcountry, just to get further away from the crowd.
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Eight Point
 
TexasTrophyBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Hill Country, Carrizo Springs
Default

I would like to hear about this as well!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
Brown E
Four Point
 
Brown E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mercedes
Default

You can never be in good enough shape. Idaho has a lot of steep terrain. Many people say they want to get back in but doing it is another matter.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
Bowdacious
Six Point
 
Bowdacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio TX
Hunt In: Webb Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown E View Post
You can never be in good enough shape. Idaho has a lot of steep terrain. Many people say they want to get back in but doing it is another matter.
That's what I've heard, I am already training for it. I'm looking forward to getting in those mountains!
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Start following Hunttalk.com forum. You will be inundated with so much info, it will make your head spin. Follow Randy Newberg. He has a youtube for anything you can imagine for elk hunting, from what size cooler to bring, to how to train, to how to read the land, how thermals work, what caliber rifle, pretty much everything under the sun.

I would also listen to Rinella's and Newberg's podcast.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
Bowdacious
Six Point
 
Bowdacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio TX
Hunt In: Webb Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Start following Hunttalk.com forum. You will be inundated with so much info, it will make your head spin. Follow Randy Newberg. He has a youtube for anything you can imagine for elk hunting, from what size cooler to bring, to how to train, to how to read the land, how thermals work, what caliber rifle, pretty much everything under the sun.

I would also listen to Rinella's and Newberg's podcast.
Thank you sir, I will definitely check those out!
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
El_matador
Four Point
 
El_matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

I got some tips if you want to chat let me know. I go every year
El_matador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
El_matador
Four Point
 
El_matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

Elk elk
El_matador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com