Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default Ag exemptions...

In process of buying 35 acres, has 7-8 acres of pasture in front but rest is timber with creek running through it. Currently does not have the Ag-exemption on any of it.
Would be easy enough in getting the Ag started on the pasture portion but what about the timber part? Not really interested in putting cattle or horses on it either.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Contact your local folks, most counties are unique, some easy, some not so much is what I've heard. Wildlife exemption might be a better fit.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Contact your local folks, most counties are unique, some easy, some not so much is what I've heard. Wildlife exemption might be a better fit.
True but has to be in Ag first. The wildlife exempt is my goal.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Sounds like some hay production, tree farming, bee hives and cattle grazing are some of your ag exempt options. I would work a deal to lease the grazing (limited) to a neighbor if you don’t want to work your own cows.
Sounds like to may need some cross fencing.

I was faced with this decision many years ago cause I wanted to improve wildlife habitat with cattle. Found a happy medium.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

I believe the ag exemption for hay and timber are the same. I just bought 21 acres last year that was already enrolled in Ag empemtion. This year when I rolled it over to myself and got my number and tag it stated ag exempt status hay/timber production. We only have hay as it is completely coastal grass.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Big pig
Ten Point

My friend planted trees. Long term but a possibility

BP
Old 04-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
TKK
Ten Point

each county is different - I suggest finding someone there who is familiar with your counties exemptions - pay them a little to advise you - can save you tons of money in the long run

wildlife is easier but no sales tax exemption - ag is a little more regulated but you lose the sales tax exemption
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I believe you can request AG exemption if more than 50% is used for ag production. This means you may have to clear some timber OR sell timber OR run some sort of livestock. Running livestock may be the best fit because properly managed livestock can enhance your ability to maintain wildlife. It will also allow you to cross fence and plant food plots like oats, rye grass, clovers, etc that you roll you stock through.

You are correct - from what I understand you cannot request wildlife exemption unless the property has been under ag exemption for at least 3 years. I believe that is state law. A visit with your local TPWD biologist will help.

Good luck!
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
SB09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor and Grayson Counties

Most counties are going to want 5 years proof of "ag exempt" operations going on before they'll grant a property an exemption. Yours may be different though. Worth a call to ask what their views are.

If you're not going to go the livestock route, it may be tough to gain very much benefit from it given how much timber it has. 7-8 acres isn't going to be enough to even qualify for the exemption. I believe the cutoff is 10 acres.
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

In Burnet Cnty the land has to have ag "production" in any 3 out of last 5 yrs.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

When I bought my place the entire property was overgrown. I mean a squirrel needed to use a machete to get thru it type overgrown. I didn't even have a fence up in the front of it. It was already in ag when I bought it but I rolled it right over into my name with a livestock exemption.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to meet the requirements for ag for 5 years before they will give it to you.
CabezaBlanca is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
Most counties are going to want 5 years proof of "ag exempt" operations going on before they'll grant a property an exemption. Yours may be different though. Worth a call to ask what their views are.

If you're not going to go the livestock route, it may be tough to gain very much benefit from it given how much timber it has. 7-8 acres isn't going to be enough to even qualify for the exemption. I believe the cutoff is 10 acres.

this is Fannin C., here it is 5 out of 7 years. I am considering bees but that is maxed at 20 acres, why I don't know. So I need something to do with the other 15 acres.
Yes, the min. for pasture is 10 acres, I guess I was assuming since I would have 35 total then I would do whatever with the 8 acre field ... I see what you're saying now. The pasture use ALONE is min. of 10 acres.
The main problem I'm having at the start is only half of the tract is fenced ... got a lot of work to do. But that's the fun of it.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
Sounds like some hay production, tree farming, bee hives and cattle grazing are some of your ag exempt options. I would work a deal to lease the grazing (limited) to a neighbor if you donít want to work your own cows.
Sounds like to may need some cross fencing.

I was faced with this decision many years ago cause I wanted to improve wildlife habitat with cattle. Found a happy medium.

BP
How did you accomplish that without the cattle trampling down everything and creating big trails everywhere? just curious ...
Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
Big pig
Ten Point

Limited the lease to spring, summer, and early fall. And the number of head.
Neighbor uses it as necessary.

This creekbottom country grows so much so fast that I kinda of like the trails.
Tax break is worth the stupid cows.

Had to fence the plots anyway cause of the hogs.

Last edited by Big pig; 04-22-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Aside from all the great advice/comments here, what do you think about planting alfalfa in the pasture? I know the hay is good but does it also attract deer if I just left it?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
Micahbo
Spike

Hunt In: Bastrop County and Lampasas County

If anyone is well versed in Bastrop County ag exemption, let me know.
Micahbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #17
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

When you need to get your fencing done I'd recommend Cody Malone, if you don't have time to do it yourself. He did the 2 sides of mine that wasn't fenced in Hunt Co.
Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #18
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
When you need to get your fencing done I'd recommend Cody Malone, if you don't have time to do it yourself. He did the 2 sides of mine that wasn't fenced in Hunt Co.
thx, I appreciate it. Would you put his info here or PM me?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #19
txhighcaliber
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto & Young

You’ll for sure have 5 years before you can get any exemption but if for sure go with cattle as it’s the easiest in my opinion and you don’t have to have the cattle on the property all year long.
txhighcaliber is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

I bought 100 acres last year... luckily it already had AG exemption. if you want to establish one, just put an ad out for grazing rights. someone will pay you to let their cattle run on it, I guarantee it. I asked the question on here and had literally dozens of people message me wanting to put a couple head on my place. you'll make a few bucks and eventually get your ag exemption. that being said, I ended up buying a couple head of cattle... SUPER easy to raise, and kind of fun to be honest.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #21
tdwinklr
Eight Point

We closed on the land! Now the real work begins.
Thanks for all your comments.