No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hail got mine pretty bad, but most of the stuff seems like it is going to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tomato question: I started from seed some heirloom tomatoes (about a dozen plants) and once planted in the garden I had some space left so got 2 more hybrid plants from the store. The hybrids are growing excellent and have produced a lot of tomatoes. The heirloom are growing and blooming just as good right next to the hybrids, but the blooms dry up and ZERO tomatoes on 12 plants. The plants are 5’ tall now growing on a panel and not ONE tomato. What’s the deal???

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
        Tomato question: I started from seed some heirloom tomatoes (about a dozen plants) and once planted in the garden I had some space left so got 2 more hybrid plants from the store. The hybrids are growing excellent and have produced a lot of tomatoes. The heirloom are growing and blooming just as good right next to the hybrids, but the blooms dry up and ZERO tomatoes on 12 plants. The plants are 5’ tall now growing on a panel and not ONE tomato. What’s the deal???

Mine are doing the exact same thing. I thought maybe it was the heat, but I'm not too sure. One plant has died and I'm not sure why either on that one

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

What you are seeing is “hybrid vigor”. It is one of the main benefits to hybridizing plants. The F1 hybrid (or first generation offspring from separate distinct parentage) typically grows much faster than any true to seed offspring will. Also, heirlooms require a slightly more specific meeting of their nutritional needs. It seems most people are having problems with their heirloom tomatoes this year in my area. You could use a tomato specific fertilizer to increase fruit setting, and also make sure your heirlooms don’t dry out between waterings.

Comment

Also, the hotter and more humid it is... the less fruit will set. Temps vary, but most heirloom varieties need at least a few hours of the day/night below about 75 in order for the flower to set fruit. Hybrids can typically push that up into the 80’s. Humidity plays a factor as well. High humidity can gum up the pollen and it won’t freely fall on the pistil.

Comment

Well what I thought were plants from heirlooms I planted last year turned out to be grape tomatoes from the compost. We have a ton! They’re okay but not near the flavor that the black krim and Cherokee purple have. I’m pretty have though, 5 tomatoe plants going crazy and 2 good cantaloupe vines and I didn’t plant any of it this spring

Comment

You have pics of the Black Krim and Cherokee????

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                  The hail got mine pretty bad, but most of the stuff seems like it is going to come back.

Oh man, that would be devastating if that happened to my wife's garden! Sorry it happened to your as well! Please post up pics as it recovers. That's a real gut punch right there. Sure hope it does come back for y'all!

Comment

Well, burpless cukes, zucchini and squash are gettin' after it now!! My bride hauled 3 wagon loads out of the garden yesterday... They're all spread out in the floor now... Like an idiot, I went down the hallway/breezeway in the dark last night and took out a couple zucchinis...

I posted earlier in this thread something about if all those little yellow blooms turn into cukes n squash, she's gonna have 'em runnin' out her ears.... well, it's happenin'!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	24542741

Name:	IMG_7517.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24542742

Name:	IMG_7518.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24542743

Comment

.5” rain last week coupled with this Heat really kicked my garden in gear! Tomatoes are approaching 7’ tall!

Comment

Dang Cody that's awesome!! Gonna be some good eats come outta there! What variety of berries is that?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Dang Cody that's awesome!! Gonna be some good eats come outta there! What variety of berries is that?

Row of Thornless- Natchez
                          Thorned- Kiowa

Kiowa are sweeter and taste better in my opinion.

Comment

They look nice! We had a great floracane crop from our Prime Ark Freedom thornless and now the primacanes are blooming and beginning to make berries...

Comment

[QUOTE=Codypatt1;13429693].5” rain last week coupled with this Heat really kicked my garden in gear! Tomatoes are approaching 7’ tall!

What kind of mango is that? I haven't had good luck with my mango due to the freeze the last two years. Been going back and forth on trying avocado and guava.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                                You have pics of the Black Krim and Cherokee????
                                I’ll see if I have some from last year. My wife was 9mo pregnant during planting time this year so didn’t have time to actually plant anything

Comment

Working...
                                X