Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default 2018 Bosque / McLennan County Yearly Thread

I guess I'll start her off:

Well, for all of you central Bosque or western McLennan County hunters things are shaping up for a tremendous late spring early summer horn growth pattern. It has been many years since we have entered the late May cycle with such great habitat growth due to perfectly timed rain falls.

Late fall and early spring food plots are lush and still holding allot of palatable broadleaf varieties. Not to mention that once I shredded areas of thick oats, wheat and elbon rye the early broadcasted clover has taken off and is getting grazed daily. The crimson and arrow leaf clovers showing better growth when compared to the white and other. Also, allot of winter peas made it through the winter / spring grazing and are putting on good vine / leaf growth. Of course, the wheat, oats and elbon rye will hit maturity and brown up over night very soon.

The white salt stations are getting hammered and the mineral licks are looking more like hog wallows.

Additionally, with the lush habitat, fawn survival rates should be extremely good. …lots of places for does to leave the fawns in cover.

I have put out allot of fertilize around the drip line of two of my big acorn trees (1 White Oak and 1 Live Oak) that are located close to my lower river stand.

We know of 3 top end bucks that made it through February and have our fingers crossed leading into horn growth season. Breck, Ashton and I are waiting patiently to see how the bucks top out with our fingers crossed……..

Of course we are doing our best on the never ending war on hogs and at this time keeping them somewhat at bay. …really it’s just that the neighboring farmers corn and maize fields are starting to head / tassel so the hogs are now in those fields and not my plots…..

I will start to update this thread with trail cam photos as the summer grows heavy. Fill free to add your Bosque and or McLennan County off season experiences.

The May 19th rain dropped 3.1” on my Bosque River grounds.
God Bless

Rwc
Attached Images
       
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Almost forgot to add, if any of you travel through Valley Mills in transit to your grounds, I have been using the small feed store across from the CEFCO on S.H. 6 in Valley Mills. Really good prices and bend over backwards to help you find any feed / seed you are in search of. I noticed the other day he has started stocking a few guns. When you walk in the door you automatically go back in time to an old general store fill.... little bit of everything.

Don't get me wrong, Clifton Feed and Service Center are great people, but the store in Valley Mills is a great option.


Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
CoryW
Eight Point
 
CoryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: China Spring
Hunt In: Bosque County
Default

Following.
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
BosqueTech
Eight Point
 
BosqueTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hunt In: Bosque County & Lubbock
Default

Thanks for starting this again! Yes, the rain was great!! Could use a few more storms between now and Sept!
BosqueTech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Well, the last rains have now dried up and winter plot grains have reached maturity and browned up making them no longer palatable. I shredded about 2.5 acres of my lower plots to help expose the clovers to the sun, giving them a chance to add on additional growth for late spring / early summer grazing. Thinking about irrigating a portion of them to aid in extending their growth.

Deer are still hammering the salt licks and mineral pours.

North Bosque River is looking good with lots of water running and should easily sub stain through the summer.

Did kill a small hog the other morning that I am guessing forgot about the neighbors grain fields……….22 mag to the forehead works every time.

All the deer on my Bosque and McLennan grounds seem to be very healthy with a few about to bust. Natural browse looks really good.

Fill free to post your Bosque / McLennan County off season updates.

God Bless and hope each enjoy.
Rwc
Attached Images
              
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
tbgascorer
Ten Point
 
tbgascorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

Looking good. Man, I sure do miss my Bosque county place, very diverse habitat. I am in Mills county now, west of you. We are super dry and have been since fall. We are at 8" for the year and half way done. Range looks like September already. Fawn crop will be very low. Good luck and I will follow your progress.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
gander
Ten Point
 
gander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Beaumont
Default

Looking forward to following along again this year amigo. Just started putting out some cameras on my stuff this past week. It's wild how much further ahead all the deer are down here. I have some deer already showing 2-3 inches of 2's and 3's. Was seeing fawns in March.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gander View Post
Looking forward to following along again this year amigo. Just started putting out some cameras on my stuff this past week. It's wild how much further ahead all the deer are down here. I have some deer already showing 2-3 inches of 2's and 3's. Was seeing fawns in March.
Yea, your coastal region out runs the rest of us every year. I am not sure I could get use to hunting the chase portion of the rut in flip flops and shorts like you guys do...... ha ha

You and your brother still need to come bang greenheads late season this year.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
gander
Ten Point
 
gander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Beaumont
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Yea, your coastal region out runs the rest of us every year. I am not sure I could get use to hunting the chase portion of the rut in flip flops and shorts like you guys do...... ha ha

You and your brother still need to come bang greenheads late season this year.

Rwc
It makes for some hot, mosquito-filled hunts that's for sure. And you just tell us when and we'll be there!
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gander View Post
It makes for some hot, mosquito-filled hunts that's for sure. And you just tell us when and we'll be there!
Sounds great and will do.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #11
sbushee
Ten Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: The Outside
Default

I grew up in the Gap. It has some great hunting for sure. Had a lease between Clifton and the Gap hat was tremendous. Saw a couple of 140” deer regularly on camera but never in person. Gave up the lease due to landowner being a tad too difficult to deal with. Good luck this year
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Looking like a great start Richard~! Hoping the best for yall this year.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #13
cstrey18
Four Point
 
cstrey18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: Johnson/Hill/Bosque
Default

I hunt in northeastern part of Bosque county close to Lake Whitney and it looked like the grass was already starting to dry up when I was out there last weekend. Hopefully we get some more rain throughout the summer to keep things green. The deer aren't coming to the feeders much right now though so they must have plenty to eat. It looked like one doe already had fawns and the rest should be dropping about right now. There was still a lot of bucks around when they dropped their antlers so there should be several on the hit list this year. I've hunted this place since 2008 and it's been getting better every year for the past 4-5 years. I'm really looking forward to this season.
cstrey18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

I'm in western McLennan I'll play !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

I guess I missed this thread last year so I got to post a pic of my sons beast he smoked last year with the old Mathews !Name:  IMG_2444.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  49.0 KB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #16
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico70 View Post
I guess I missed this thread last year so I got to post a pic of my sons beast he smoked last year with the old Mathews !Attachment 910099


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell you son congrats, that’s a hammer toad of a buck. Central Texas Deer?

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Thanks ! And yes low fence west McLennan


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico70 View Post
Thanks ! And yes low fence west McLennan


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great McLennan County Deer.

Best of luck this season.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
JANKEII
Four Point
 
JANKEII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Gatesville
Default

I take the first left(fm217) north on hwy 6 out of Valley Mills going towards Gatesville. I always get my feed in Gatesville. I'll have to check them out. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
I guess I'll start her off:

Well, for all of you central Bosque or western McLennan County hunters things are shaping up for a tremendous late spring early summer horn growth pattern. It has been many years since we have entered the late May cycle with such great habitat growth due to perfectly timed rain falls.

Late fall and early spring food plots are lush and still holding allot of palatable broadleaf varieties. Not to mention that once I shredded areas of thick oats, wheat and elbon rye the early broadcasted clover has taken off and is getting grazed daily. The crimson and arrow leaf clovers showing better growth when compared to the white and other. Also, allot of winter peas made it through the winter / spring grazing and are putting on good vine / leaf growth. Of course, the wheat, oats and elbon rye will hit maturity and brown up over night very soon.

The white salt stations are getting hammered and the mineral licks are looking more like hog wallows.

Additionally, with the lush habitat, fawn survival rates should be extremely good. …lots of places for does to leave the fawns in cover.

I have put out allot of fertilize around the drip line of two of my big acorn trees (1 White Oak and 1 Live Oak) that are located close to my lower river stand.

We know of 3 top end bucks that made it through February and have our fingers crossed leading into horn growth season. Breck, Ashton and I are waiting patiently to see how the bucks top out with our fingers crossed……..

Of course we are doing our best on the never ending war on hogs and at this time keeping them somewhat at bay. …really it’s just that the neighboring farmers corn and maize fields are starting to head / tassel so the hogs are now in those fields and not my plots…..

I will start to update this thread with trail cam photos as the summer grows heavy. Fill free to add your Bosque and or McLennan County off season experiences.

The May 19th rain dropped 3.1” on my Bosque River grounds.
God Bless

Rwc
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #20
JANKEII
Four Point
 
JANKEII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Gatesville
Default

As everybody probably already knows. SMOKIES working hard in Valley Mills last weekend. I guess all the time...
Also, if you're looking for some excellent bar-b-que chopped sandwich. The gentleman at the end of town by the school is excellent.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #21
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANKEII View Post
As everybody probably already knows. SMOKIES working hard in Valley Mills last weekend. I guess all the time...
Also, if you're looking for some excellent bar-b-que chopped sandwich. The gentleman at the end of town by the school is excellent.
Yes sir, Valley Mills PD takes that 30 mph speed zone very serious.........and you are right Mr. Sadler makes a mean bar-b-que sandwich.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Great McLennan County Deer.



Best of luck this season.



Rwc


Thanks !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

We sure need that rain cell to hold together until it passes Bosque County this morning, but is not looking good.......dad gum wives and weather....we have no control over!



Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #24
Smokeater
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clifton,Tx
Hunt In: Tree
Default

Mornin' Richard! Yep..watching the radar and keeping fingers crossed! Shouldn't be teasin' too many of your critters over. Cotton planted in the big bottom field. Neaked up on a couple of oinks in the field by the highway a couple weeks ago. When the ya-hoo's from the city show up, the deer that are around should head back your way!
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #25
Smokeater
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clifton,Tx
Hunt In: Tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
I grew up in the Gap. It has some great hunting for sure. Had a lease between Clifton and the Gap hat was tremendous. Saw a couple of 140” deer regularly on camera but never in person. Gave up the lease due to landowner being a tad too difficult to deal with. Good luck this year
That you Shaun?
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeater View Post
Mornin' Richard! Yep..watching the radar and keeping fingers crossed! Shouldn't be teasin' too many of your critters over. Cotton planted in the big bottom field. Neaked up on a couple of oinks in the field by the highway a couple weeks ago. When the ya-hoo's from the city show up, the deer that are around should head back your way!
Yes sir, I noticed that Cotton the other day. The milo and corn across the river and a tad west of me is looking real good and is loaded with game in it each afternoon.

Yell at me when you are out and about one evening and we can meet up. You have my permission to kill all those oinkers you sneak up on...ha ha

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #27
Stick Flicker
Six Point
 
Stick Flicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Meridian TX.
Hunt In: U.S.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Yes sir, Valley Mills PD takes that 30 mph speed zone very serious.........and you are right Mr. Sadler makes a mean bar-b-que sandwich.

Rwc
Its Clyde Pollard that own and runs C & K BBQ in Valley mills stop in and see him you will go back.
Stick Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #28
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Flicker View Post
Its Clyde Pollard that own and runs C & K BBQ in Valley mills stop in and see him you will go back.
Good to know, appreciate it.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #29
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Deer are pretty aggravated in my areas, majority of the corn is being cut for sileage with very little corn left in the field...........So they are now showing back up at the metal trees that drops unlimited yellow acorns multiple times a day.

Had my first wobbling fawn in McLennan County show up June 3 and my first on camera in Bosque County June 2.

Very dry on both grounds but weather guessers on T.V. are giving us a chance starting Sunday.

Will post some trail camera photos later.

God Bless
Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #30
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Was on my Bosque River grounds yesterday and to say its dry would just insult the dust. River is down to a trickle between holes and fish are starting to pipe in oxygen.

As for as browse goes, not allot of palatable browse away from the river bank. Deer are really hitting the feeders hard. I would love to have trespass rights on the big maize / milo field across river from me. I would imagine it is loaded with game at night.

Trail cameras are showing approximately 13 bucks and 7 does on corn pretty religiously with only one doe bringing in her fawn. Did I mention, zero hogs on camera last three weeks..... thank you Lord.

I did check 3 easy to get to acorn trees and all had a gazillion acorn buds on them.

Hang in there, heat will be gone in late October....................

God Bless
Rwc
Attached Images
    
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #31
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Lost my spot near China Spring. But found a new spot out by mart. Haven't been to check it out yet. Hopefully has some deer. I have not ground checked one in 3 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #32
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Lost my spot near China Spring. But found a new spot out by mart. Haven't been to check it out yet. Hopefully has some deer. I have not ground checked one in 3 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Hate to hear you lost your Bosque County place. Hope your Mart area place works out for you.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #33
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Hate to hear you lost your Bosque County place. Hope your Mart area place works out for you.

Rwc
Thanks. Yep. The owners son wants to start gun hunting it this year.

New place is on xmas creek. Will see how it goes. I'll start posting game cam pics when i get set up in the next week or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #34
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Pulled my card today and I got a couple decent ones on there . The one with the split eye guard I seen several times last year and decided he needed another year so I think he will be my target.Name:  IMG_3298.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  72.0 KBName:  IMG_3300.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  68.2 KB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Looking good Mexico70.

Hope to get my better bucks back after grain harvest.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #36
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Looking good Mexico70.

Hope to get my better bucks back after grain harvest.

Rwc


Thanks !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #37
cstrey18
Four Point
 
cstrey18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: Johnson/Hill/Bosque
Default

I went to check cameras yesterday and deer are starting to come to feeders more. It's mostly just does and yearling bucks right now but there's a few others that show up occasionally. Range conditions are still very good considering the lack of rain.

The first buck is 5 and might be on the hit list this year. The second one might turn into something if he can live a couple more years. I believe he's a 3 year old.
Attached Images
  
cstrey18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #38
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Good looking bucks cstrey !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #39
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

105 plus everyday is taking its toll........ ha ha

Thought I would bust up a few acres of food plots on my river grounds Saturday morning but I believe I will just have to be patient and wait for the next rain.

I did dump a few bags of feed in the gravity feeder and reset my camera. Deer are still tearing up the salt lick.

Walked down on the river to check out the current water situation and found a hog rooting around. No more free meals for her.

Trial camera showed a few new bucks in and out but still nothing to get excited about. I need the maize to be harvested that is across the river from me.

Hope all are staying somewhat cool.

Rwc
Attached Images
        
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #40
mexico70
Six Point
 
mexico70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: central tx
Hunt In: Sutton co.
Default

Beautiful place RWC !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #41
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico70 View Post
Beautiful place RWC !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate it, it's much prettier when it's green.... ha ha

As soon as the grain is harvested and stalks turned under across the river from me I should get a few better bucks on camera.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young
 
Leonhogboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited
Default

Nice blood trail Mr.
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #43
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post
Nice blood trail Mr.
Appreciate sir, the .22 mag does a fine job on them.......

A few trail cam photos. I know I sound like a broken record each year on this thread, but normally once the grain across the river on my neighbors place is harvested and stalks plowed under, I start getting better deer on camera. And if not, might be a long fall......ha ha

I have been trying to figure out if the older single side buck injured his right side early in the growth period or just drew a bad straw this year? I have no history with him nor did I have a buck quite like him last year. In 2013 and 2014 I had 2 bucks that had one quality side and one side with just a fork and the other 2 large daggers, but not one like this one. Both Ashton and Breck are trying to convince me that he is a defiant cull........they have been watching way to much outdoor channel, most know my theory on culling...........
Rwc
Attached Images
      
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #44
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

That buck sure got some weird stuff going on there.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #45
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
That buck sure got some weird stuff going on there.
Mike, I agree that old buck drank some bad water somewhere...
If you look into the 2013 thread there are a few photos (post 15 and 85) about half way through the thread of the 2 bucks that had the one good side and crazy other sides.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...=398223&page=2

Rwc

Last edited by Rwc; 07-27-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #46
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Did a little scouting of some new USACE land yesterday afternoon around the lake. Lake is so low that it was a challenge getting the boat into access of the areas I wanted to scout.

Found one summer bedding area with multiple beds but way to many active trails to get an ideal of direction of enter and exits. Need a rain to wash out the non active trails.

Jumped 2 deer, both fawns bedded in an area close to the water.

The most impressive sign I found was a trail leading to the lakes edge where deer were watering. Its a shame the people that don’t respect others stuff......... I would love to put a camera up on that spot to capture game watering, but I am sure someone would see it as a give away prize........

Last place I wanted to scout was just to difficult to get to and had to pull out and reevaluate my wants......

I tried to glass every oak in the area of my first scout area and all had many acorn buds, might be a slow October for central Texas hunters with Oaks.

God bless
Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #47
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Did a little scouting of some new USACE land yesterday afternoon around the lake. Lake is so low that it was a challenge getting the boat into access of the areas I wanted to scout.

Found one summer bedding area with multiple beds but way to many active trails to get an ideal of direction of enter and exits. Need a rain to wash out the non active trails.

Jumped 2 deer, both fawns bedded in an area close to the water.

The most impressive sign I found was a trail leading to the lakes edge where deer were watering. Its a shame the people that don’t respect others stuff......... I would love to put a camera up on that spot to capture game watering, but I am sure someone would see it as a give away prize........

Last place I wanted to scout was just to difficult to get to and had to pull out and reevaluate my wants......

I tried to glass every oak in the area of my first scout area and all had many acorn buds, might be a slow October for central Texas hunters with Oaks.

God bless
Rwc
Hey man, let me know if you want to get together and scout or check out COE land. I want to try and hunt it this year some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #48
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Good rains in both McLennan and Bosque Counties over the last 4 days. Buzz and I made a quick trip to the river grounds early Saturday morning and found just shy of an 1" of rain in the gauge. Not sure what yesterday yielded, but radar had my hopes way up.

Still knocking on wood and extremely grateful that our last picture of hogs was early July.

Deer still hammering feeders and hoping to get all the food plots broke up this week.

Starting to get a few older bucks, (older than 2.5) ha, trickling back in now that the milo has been harvested. Oh, and I hate coons. This group of coons life's are on a timer........nearing its end! And old Loop Side is still on the river feeder most every throwing. Still not 100% sure if he damaged his week side early during this growth or just dealt a bad set of cards.

Dad n Law welded up a new fire pit / grill / bean cooker / pig rotissaire and it turned out very well. Cant wait to break it in with some giant rib eyes and a small pig this fall.

God Bless and hope all are seeing giants.

Rwc
Attached Images
        
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #49
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Don't want to be accused of not warning you...... Most all acorn and native pecans that I glassed while on the river yesterday were loaded with acorns and pecans.

Rwc
Attached Images
  
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #50
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Got 90% of all my food plots broke up and about half fertilized and plowed in. Looked to have caught a rain late yesterday after we left.

Rwc
Attached Images
  
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com