Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #2751
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe View Post
searched round and round - can't seem to find an answer.

Can a Sightmark Photon XT handle the recoil of a 20 gauge? I have a chance to hog hunt a place where only shotguns are allowed.
Call them to be sure you will be covered under warranty, but based on my research just now I think you will be in good shape. FWIW their thermals are rated same as the photons and I know guys who use thermals on 12 gauges.

.375 Photon recoil rating: http://articles.sightmark.com/index....night-hunting/

.375 energy: https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

20 gauge energy: https://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #2752
Tbar
Ten Point

IR Hunter MK III 60mm

Hog is at 200 yards, the tree line behind it is close to 400 yards.

Shot at the 1:41 mark hit exactly where I aimed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DH8goYvMU&t=35s
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #2753
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

Got this destructive booger and the corn bandit this morning. The boar jumped out of a ditch Iíve walked up too several times but no hogs. Was gonna drive past it to hit another pond when he bolted into the pasture.

Thankfully he fell for the oldest trick in the book. First thing first I did as soon as I saw him (thank goodness for colorblindness that makes seeing movement in the dark easier) was kill the engine and went total dark. He stopped in his tracks trying figure out where I went, big mistake. Like they say ďHe gone!!!Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #2754
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Thanks a big hog! Was the coon riding on his back when you shot him?
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #2755
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Thanks a big hog! Was the coon riding on his back when you shot him?

No but like Wooderson said:

ďBe a whole lot cooler if you did!Ē

Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #2756
HansETX
Spike

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default Great Entry Level Thermal... Pulsar Core RXQ30V

One of the biggest requests that I hear is usually from people that want to get into Thermal Night Vision for the first time and want a decent scope without all of the "Bells and Whistles". I've been testing out the Pulsar Core RXQ30V for the past few weeks and at a price point of $1899, it's definitely fits that budget friendly, no frills, kind of scope. Here's the review and the features..

Last edited by HansETX; 06-13-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: editing text
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #2757
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post
One of the biggest requests that I hear is usually from people that want to get into Thermal Night Vision for the first time and want a decent scope without all of the "Bells and Whistles". I've been testing out the Pulsar Core RXQ30V for the past few weeks and at a price point of $1899, it's definitely fits that budget friendly, no frills, kind of scope. Here's the review and the features..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzHzC9OAywM&t

I bought one to use as a handheld when Iím hunting alone and to mount on one of the boys ARís when theyíre hunting with me. Itís a great little scope and the green tint is easy on my eyes. I have the battery backup for it but honestly Iíve been using the CR123ís for it because I have a bunch that Iíve had for years. Theyíre convenient when using it as a handheld because there are no wires to deal with. The only thing Iíd want different for this scope at this price point is optional onboard rechargeable batteries.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #2758
HansETX
Spike

Default Father's Day Weekend Thermal Hog Hunt...

Took my oldest daughter, Macy, out hog hunting with me for the first time this weekend. She's not quite ready to shoot a rifle big enough to drop a hog but she's been dying to go out with me on a night hunt. We were lucky enough drop two hogs and she was able to watch me shoot through the Flir Breach Monocular while I shot with my Pulsar Trail XP50 using a DiamondBack AR-10 .308 with Hornday Full Boar 165 grain ammo. She tried to load up one of the dead hogs but the hog got the best of her. Happy Father's Day to everyone out there! I enjoy being part of community of liked-minded people. Thank you...

Last edited by HansETX; 06-17-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: editing text
Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #2759
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Took my oldest daughter, Macy, out hog hunting with me for the first time this weekend. She's not quite ready to shoot a rifle big enough to drop a hog but she's been dying to go out with me on a night hunt. We were lucky enough drop two hogs and she was able to watch me shoot through the Flir Breach Monocular while I shot with my Pulsar Trail XP50 using a DiamondBack AR-10 .308 with Hornday Full Boar 165 grain ammo. She tried to load up one of the dead hogs but the hog got the best of her. Happy Father's Day to everyone out there! I enjoy being part of community of liked-minded people. Thank you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJICdDCRV64&t
What's you thought on the Full Boar Ammo?
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #2760
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJICdDCRV64&t

Pretty cool taking your daughter with you. Looked like a couple of footballs shot out of that bait hole in the first video.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #2761
Russ81
Pope & Young

Default Night Vision hunting Thread

So the pigs have figured out thereís a boogeyman lurking around the area at night that they canít see. Gonna give Hanís bait recipe a shot with this first 40# batch I made. How he makes it is on his YouTube channel and they talked about it on the late night vision show podcast b

Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #2762
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
So the pigs have figured out thereís a boogeyman lurking around the area at night that they canít see. Gonna give Hanís bait recipe a shot with this first 40# batch I made. How he makes it is on his YouTube channel and they talked about it on the late night vision show podcast b

Let us know how it goes
Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #2763
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Jason and Hans, I finally got a chance to listen to the late night vision show. Good stuff guys, please keep making more! I know it takes more time and effort than most realize. I just subscribed.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #2764
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Great father's day video Hans, I love it! That's definitely one of my favorites.

Quote:
Oh man, using Hans' secrete recipe! Better watch out, you'll be drawing every hog in the county over there!

Jason
Old 06-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #2765
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great father's day video Hans, I love it! That's definitely one of my favorites.

Oh man, using Hans' secrete recipe! Better watch out, you'll be drawing every hog in the county over there!

Jason

With this rain weíre getting Iíve got the perfect kill zone picked out, even sharpened the post hole diggers

Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #2766
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Jason and Hans, I finally got a chance to listen to the late night vision show. Good stuff guys, please keep making more! I know it takes more time and effort than most realize. I just subscribed.
Thank you VERY much! Everyone's encouragement has really helped us push on. It's nice to know that people are listening and hopefully enjoying the show. We just released a new episode last Thursday and it's our review and discussion of the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. Hans's video is great but we go into a lot of details in our podcast and both give our 2 cents in a more informal setting.

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #2767
HansETX
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
What's you thought on the Full Boar Ammo?
I really like it...it's not cheap though. I've used it in the .223 and .308 and it's always performed well. Just wished I had a less expensive option in Hornady.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #2768
HansETX
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Pretty cool taking your daughter with you. Looked like a couple of footballs shot out of that bait hole in the first video.

Thanks for watching bud! She's a ham and pretty goofy so being on camera was easy for her.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #2769
HansETX
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post

Thank you so much for listening.. We'll keep at it!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #2770
HansETX
Spike

Good Luck with that hog bait! Let me know how it works for you...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #2771
Russ81
Pope & Young

Yea itís percolating nicely as we speak, glad I sealed it good with a heavy stump on the lid

Hereís a interesting article from the Texas Wildlife association

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/resou...-and-solutions

Last edited by Russ81; 06-18-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #2772
Lip
Ten Point

Yíall started the podcasts just before we left for our vacation in Alaska and Iíve been busy since so Friday when we headed to the farm, I started catching up on the podcasts. Hans, our farm is about 20-30 minutes north of Jason.

Great content guys. Keep it up. I may save them for trips to the farm as it definitely helped the drive go quicker.

Your comments on the Pulsar Core RXQ30V are dead on. Itís a great monocular/backup scope for when someone comes to hunt with me. I have a step-son and son-in-law with ARís and the Core has settings for 3 guns so we can have use the same scope on 3 separate rifles with a quick adjustment, no need to sight it in every time. The only thing I would have done different on that scope was provide the option for internal rechargeable batteries. When Iím using it as a monocular Iíd rather not have an external battery pack.

Itís been dry the last few time at the farm so no action in the fields. I plan to mix up some of Hans recipe to see if that will pull the hogs out of the bottoms. Iím usually only there two days at a time so I havenít figured out how to mix it and let it ferment for a few days before using and I donít think the wife will let me mix it in Houston and put it in our vehicle for the trip.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #2773
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
I really like it...it's not cheap though. I've used it in the .223 and .308 and it's always performed well. Just wished I had a less expensive option in Hornady.
I've shot a couple of pigs with it.
I don't know that it expanded like I thought it would. All the shots were pass throughs. I can't say it didn't expand. Little hole in little hole out.

I agree with it not being cheap
I can get it for $37/ box.
The local Wal Mart carries Remington Cor Lokt for $19/box
Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #2774
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Yíall started the podcasts just before we left for our vacation in Alaska and Iíve been busy since so Friday when we headed to the farm, I started catching up on the podcasts. Hans, our farm is about 20-30 minutes north of Jason.

Great content guys. Keep it up. I may save them for trips to the farm as it definitely helped the drive go quicker.

Your comments on the Pulsar Core RXQ30V are dead on. Itís a great monocular/backup scope for when someone comes to hunt with me. I have a step-son and son-in-law with ARís and the Core has settings for 3 guns so we can have use the same scope on 3 separate rifles with a quick adjustment, no need to sight it in every time. The only thing I would have done different on that scope was provide the option for internal rechargeable batteries. When Iím using it as a monocular Iíd rather not have an external battery pack.

Itís been dry the last few time at the farm so no action in the fields. I plan to mix up some of Hans recipe to see if that will pull the hogs out of the bottoms. Iím usually only there two days at a time so I havenít figured out how to mix it and let it ferment for a few days before using and I donít think the wife will let me mix it in Houston and put it in our vehicle for the trip.

Thank you very much for those kind words Lip, I can speak for both of us when I say, it means a lot to hear feedback like that. The podcast is a lot of fun but it's also a whole lot of work and we sometimes wonder if we're crazy for even doing it. But we really do have a good time and honestly, the podcast is just the same things Hans and I talk about on the phone all the time anyway, we're just recording it.

Great feedback on the RXQ30V, that's great to hear. I agree about the internal rechargeable battery. However, I've caught myself several times saying, "I wish the RXQ had this little option" or "That little feature" but if it did.....it wouldn't be $1,899, it would be $2,500 or more. I think it's exciting that we've got quality thermal under $2,000 though because I think that just shows that there are probably a lot of good things in store for this industry in the future.

Jason
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #2775
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
I've shot a couple of pigs with it.
I don't know that it expanded like I thought it would. All the shots were pass throughs. I can't say it didn't expand. Little hole in little hole out.

I agree with it not being cheap
I can get it for $37/ box.
The local Wal Mart carries Remington Cor Lokt for $19/box
What caliber are you shooting?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #2776
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
What caliber are you shooting?
.308 Winchester
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #2777
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
.308 Winchester
Gotcha, I thought it might be a .223 or .300blk and I was going to offer my 2 cents.

Have you had good luck with the Remington? I'm using the Remington OTFB ammo in my .300blk and the results have been amazing. 5x better than the Hornady I've tested and I'm a big Hornady fan. I've just had great luck with the Remington and it's half the cost.

I don't shoot my .223's on hogs much anymore but when I do, I use the Hornady black 75gr BTHP and it's the best ammo I've ever used for hogs with a .223.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #2778
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:

I don't shoot my .223's on hogs much anymore but when I do, I use the Hornady black 75gr BTHP and it's the best ammo I've ever used for hogs with a .223.

Iím shooting a 223 with these and theyíve really do some damage to the hogs Iíve connected on.

I figure at some point I may step up to a larger caliber, just havenít decided what to step up to.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #2779
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Gotcha, I thought it might be a .223 or .300blk and I was going to offer my 2 cents.

Have you had good luck with the Remington? I'm using the Remington OTFB ammo in my .300blk and the results have been amazing. 5x better than the Hornady I've tested and I'm a big Hornady fan. I've just had great luck with the Remington and it's half the cost.

I haven't tried the Remington Ammo yet.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #2780
Russ81
Pope & Young

Been using 150gr federal soft points in my .308 and have no complaints. Accurate, economical and drop them where they stand.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #2781
coachwhip
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_9558.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  66.2 KB
Last nights hunt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOhPiWTUgo
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #2782
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

What mount are all the XQ and XP Pulsar users using
1. Original
2. New quick disconnect
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #2783
Russ81
Pope & Young

Iím using the quick detach, if Iím not using the scope I like to take it off the rifle and store it in a pelican box for safe keeping.

Now if I was shooting a bigger caliber rifle Iíd go with the regular mount, thatís a hunk of metal for sure. But on my AR-10 I feel the QD is enough.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #2784
TD2000
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím using the quick detach, if Iím not using the scope I like to take it off the rifle and store it in a pelican box for safe keeping.

Now if I was shooting a bigger caliber rifle Iíd go with the regular mount, thatís a hunk of metal for sure. But on my AR-10 I feel the QD is enough.

Thanks for the feedback. Having some updates on 308 and debating what mount to go with going forward

What is everyone else preference with Pulsar XQ and XP's
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #2785
TD2000
Ten Point

Quote:

Russ

Sounds like you are having good results with remounting and accuracy

Are you doing any range checks when remounting

TD
Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #2786
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2000 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Having some updates on 308 and debating what mount to go with going forward

What is everyone else preference with Pulsar XQ and XP's

XQ38 with quick detach here.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #2787
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Russ

TD

No sir itís got one bolt that the cam clamps with. I set it in the second notch from the back on my rail and go too work. Itís held the zero everytime. Like I said with it being semi auto I think the recoil is super mild and not affecting it. A bolt action I dunno.

Far as scopes go I was gonna go XQ38 but they back logged them at pulsar and @outdoorlegacygear got a XQ50 2.7-10.8 in so I ordered it. The XQ50 was the next notch up in price but Iím glad now I got it with the rice fields and large open pastures we got down here, the detection range is greater. I also didnít want to mess with CR123 batteries so the battery pack was a must. I didnít really care for the video but now Iím also glad itís there as I can have video of all shots made in case neighbors have issues

Iím also going to be next year once I get some extra overtime going to buy a Core RXQ30 as a backup like @Lip did and put it on the AR-10 and get a AR47 with silencer for the XQ50.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #2788
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Russ

TD
I'll chime in here too. I have 2 main AR's that are my dedicated NV rifles. A 300blk 16" and a 300blk 10.5". I've got a .223 10.5" that I also use from time to time. Because I'm always testing scopes, I'm literally swapping scopes from rifle to rifle to rifle all the time. Sometimes multiple times in a day. Also, if someone local wants to come out to my place and look at a scope, I'll take it off my rifle to show them because it's much easier and safer to just hold the scope up.

With that said, just to name a few, I've used the Pulsar standard thermal mount, the Pulsar QD mount, the FLIR standard QD mount, the ZroDelta DLOC and the Sightmark QD rings on the Photons. When you talk about all the different scopes that Pulsar and FLIR are making and combine them with those mounts, I'm zeroing and taking scopes off and on all the time. So much so I have to keep a note in my phone about which scopes are zeroed for which rifles and which zero profile in the Pulsar is set to which rifle. For instance, I've got my XP50 zeroed on 3 different rifles right now.

So with all that said, I've tested them until I'm blue in the face and I have 0 and I do mean 0 issues with any of those mounts listed above returning to zero. It's extremely common for me to see hogs in my pasture, go to my gun safe and the scope I want to use isn't on the rifle I want to use, so I'll put it on and go. No accuracy problems at all so far and it's a life saver for me.

Jason
Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #2789
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll chime in here too. I have 2 main AR's that are my dedicated NV rifles. A 300blk 16" and a 300blk 10.5". I've got a .223 10.5" that I also use from time to time. Because I'm always testing scopes, I'm literally swapping scopes from rifle to rifle to rifle all the time. Sometimes multiple times in a day. Also, if someone local wants to come out to my place and look at a scope, I'll take it off my rifle to show them because it's much easier and safer to just hold the scope up.

With that said, just to name a few, I've used the Pulsar standard thermal mount, the Pulsar QD mount, the FLIR standard QD mount, the ZroDelta DLOC and the Sightmark QD rings on the Photons. When you talk about all the different scopes that Pulsar and FLIR are making and combine them with those mounts, I'm zeroing and taking scopes off and on all the time. So much so I have to keep a note in my phone about which scopes are zeroed for which rifles and which zero profile in the Pulsar is set to which rifle. For instance, I've got my XP50 zeroed on 3 different rifles right now.

So with all that said, I've tested them until I'm blue in the face and I have 0 and I do mean 0 issues with any of those mounts listed above returning to zero. It's extremely common for me to see hogs in my pasture, go to my gun safe and the scope I want to use isn't on the rifle I want to use, so I'll put it on and go. No accuracy problems at all so far and it's a life saver for me.

Jason

That being said, do you have a favorite QD mount?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 PM   #2790
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
That being said, do you have a favorite QD mount?
Putting me on the spot.

Honestly, if you forced to say, yes the ZroDelta DLOC is my favorite just because of the design and quality. Do I think they actually perform better than, say the Pulsar QD mount? No I really don't think so and the Pulsar mount is 40% of the cost. I think they both get the job done just fine. It's definitely nothing I'd put any real concern into. But given both of them, I'd chose the DLOC just because of the look and feel.

Just a warning to anyone with a DLOC, you need to be darn sure when you put it on your rail that you use your fingers and tighten down the thumbscrew before you shoot. If you clamp it on and forget, you won't even notice that it's not tightened down. Don't ask how I know what will happen if you shoot it without it tightened down.

I think for the $99 price tag the Pulsar QD mount with the locking QD lever is the best deal out there for aftermarket mounts.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #2791
TD2000
Ten Point

Quote:
Putting me on the spot.

Honestly, if you forced to say, yes the ZroDelta DLOC is my favorite just because of the design and quality. Do I think they actually perform better than, say the Pulsar QD mount? No I really don't think so and the Pulsar mount is 40% of the cost. I think they both get the job done just fine. It's definitely nothing I'd put any real concern into. But given both of them, I'd chose the DLOC just because of the look and feel.

Just a warning to anyone with a DLOC, you need to be darn sure when you put it on your rail that you use your fingers and tighten down the thumbscrew before you shoot. If you clamp it on and forget, you won't even notice that it's not tightened down. Don't ask how I know what will happen if you shoot it without it tightened down.

I think for the $99 price tag the Pulsar QD mount with the locking QD lever is the best deal out there for aftermarket mounts.
Jason

As always, thanks for the great honest write up

TD
Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #2792
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Just started reading this thread and have no clue about cost on NV scopes. Is it possible to get one for under $1000? Really looking for a buddy, he bought one from Academy for around $500, but took it back cause it didn’t work like the videos said it would.
Thanks,
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #2793
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
Just started reading this thread and have no clue about cost on NV scopes. Is it possible to get one for under $1000? Really looking for a buddy, he bought one from Academy for around $500, but took it back cause it didnít work like the videos said it would.
Thanks,

There are but honestly for another $800 he could get the Core RXQ30 and have an awesome thermal scope. Iíve had numerous people tell me Iím crazy for spending the coin on my scope but in the same breath ask when Iím going hunting again.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #2794
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Quote:
There are but honestly for another $800 he could get the Core RXQ30 and have an awesome thermal scope. Iíve had numerous people tell me Iím crazy for spending the coin on my scope but in the same breath ask when Iím going hunting again.

Well said about both items in your post. Just yesterday my buddy was giving me a hard time about my NV stuff and I promptly asked him how much is his BMW costing him every month. He said "well played".
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #2795
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just started reading this thread and have no clue about cost on NV scopes. Is it possible to get one for under $1000? Really looking for a buddy, he bought one from Academy for around $500, but took it back cause it didnít work like the videos said it would.
Thanks,
I've looked into this question myself. Here's a short overview what I've come up with.

There are options under $1k

He can get into a digital NV scope for $700 or so. They us an Infrared flashlight to illuminate the target.

Downside is that if the target is in a treeline the trees and vegetation wash the scope out.

Thermal uses heat signature to see the target so it doesn't get washed out by trees and vegetation. But they're $1,800.

Both can be used day/night.

Than there's night vision that uses intensifier tubes to intesify ambient light. These can get washed out as well when you shoot making follow up shots more problematic. They can be used during the day. However there are certain precautions you need to take before doing so.

I often visit this site for my info and his reviews.
He's know as Outdoor Legacy on here.
He's also a site sponsor.
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #2796
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
I've looked into this question myself. Here's a short overview what I've come up with.

There are options under $1k

He can get into a digital NV scope for $700 or so. They us an Infrared flashlight to illuminate the target.

Downside is that if the target is in a treeline the trees and vegetation wash the scope out.

Thermal uses heat signature to see the target so it doesn't get washed out by trees and vegetation. But they're $1,800.

Both can be used day/night.

Than there's night vision that uses intensifier tubes to intesify ambient light. These can get washed out as well when you shoot making follow up shots more problematic. They can be used during the day. However there are certain precautions you need to take before doing so.

I often visit this site for my info and his reviews.
He's know as Outdoor Legacy on here.
He's also a site sponsor.
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
Good gravy that's a really good explanation! Job well done and thanks for the referral.

Pushbutton really did a great job there. To simplify it some, my advice is to buy what your budget allows. If your budget is $1,000 or less, I'd go with the Sightmark Photon RT digital NV scope.

If you can swing $2,000 go with something like the Pulsar Core RXQ30V thermal scope.

I never advise someone to spend more than they are comfortable with, so find that number and then buy the very best optic you can get for the money.

If you have any questions or would like to just talk this out from the ground floor up don't hesitate to give me a call. I'll be glad to answer any questions and try to point you in the right direction, no matter what you budget is.

Jason
(877)350-1818
Old 06-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #2797
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Just started reading this thread and have no clue about cost on NV scopes. Is it possible to get one for under $1000?
You can absolutely kill a pile of critters for under $1000. Just like mentioned above. I had the old Photon XT and that thing was rock solid. The new Photon RT is supposed to be even better.

Caveat: While what I said above about digital NV is absolutely true, DO NOT LOOK THROUGH A THERMAL SCOPE if you don't have the money for one. It will cause marital problems.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #2798
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Caveat: While what I said above about digital NV is absolutely true, DO NOT LOOK THROUGH A THERMAL SCOPE if you don't have the money for one. It will cause marital problems.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #2799
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Hey this got lost in the shuffle and I just now saw it. Great job! The editing on the video was really good and that's a big boar! Excellent video and thanks for sharing, sorry I missed it until now.

Jason
Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #2800
HansETX
Spike

Default The Not Yet Released Yet, Pulsar Trail XP50 LRF...

If you have not heard the news yet, there is some exciting news from Pulsar about a new addition to the popular Trail series of thermal optics. Later this summer of 2018 or early fall, Pulsar is set to release their Pulsar Trail LRF's (Laser Range Finder). The LRF will be available on a few of the Pulsar Trail models but for everyone out there that has been asking for a thermal scope with a built in Laser Range Finder, your wait is near over. Had a chance recently to take the Trail XP50 LRF out on a few hog hunts to test it out. I found that the Laser Range Finder was very accurate and there's much to like about the LRF option. There were only a couple things that I'd like to see changed with the functionality but nothing major. Here's my review and video out in the field on a couple hunts...

Last edited by HansETX; 06-21-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: editing text