Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Home Advice- What do you wish you included?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Home Advice- What do you wish you included?

Beginning to make a list of must haves for our new build.

What are some of the things you left out that you wish you hadn’t when building?

Or essential must haves that you love.

Appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is at least one other post that ask the same on here.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
      I think there is at least one other post that ask the same on here.

I’ll keep trying the search.

Found one for Barndo... this is going to be our primary residence

Comment

^ Pretty good thread here

Just finished our forever home on family land. A few things I added from suggestions from TBH that I already love about our home:
        • Hot water hose bib outside the house (put at our garage - handy for rinsing coolers, cleaning a truck, crawfish pots, etc.)
        • Tankless water heaters
        • Light switches by the beds' headboards
        • Incorporated a door to the outside for the powder room, in case we ever build a pool in the future. It has been handy for the kids playing outside and running into there instead of through the whole house to go to the restroom
        • Garage size - I told our architect I wanted to park a 3/4 ton truck in the garage. Just wish I had gone wider on the doors or just one door at this point, but the garage is plenty big.
        • Huge pantry

Comment

Maid

Comment

Put in 220 volt electrical and gas outlets in your laundry room.
            Put a 50 amp 220 Volt electric plug in the garage in case you need to power the house
            with a generator.
            Run a gas line to the porch for barbecue pit.
            Run 110 volt plugs around to eaves of the house for Christmas lights.
            If you do recessed lighting go ahead and put in LED fixtures.
            Run a 1" conduit into / through your slab in case you need a way into your house.
            Put extra plugs everywhere you can never have enough.
            In you trophy room put plywood in before the sheet rock. That way you don't have to
            search for a stud.
            This should give you a start.

Comment

Outdoor restroom

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                Put in 220 volt electrical and gas outlets in your laundry room.
                Put a 50 amp 220 Volt electric plug in the garage in case you need to power the house
                with a generator.
                Run a gas line to the porch for barbecue pit.
                Run 110 volt plugs around to eaves of the house for Christmas lights.
                If you do recessed lighting go ahead and put in LED fixtures.
                Run a 1" conduit into / through your slab in case you need a way into your house.
                Put extra plugs everywhere you can never have enough.
                In you trophy room put plywood in before the sheet rock. That way you don't have to
                search for a stud.
                This should give you a start.

Thanks a bunch for those. Wrote them all down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                  https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=546874

^ Pretty good thread here

Just finished our forever home on family land. A few things I added from suggestions from TBH that I already love about our home:
                  • Hot water hose bib outside the house (put at our garage - handy for rinsing coolers, cleaning a truck, crawfish pots, etc.)
                  • Tankless water heaters
                  • Light switches by the beds' headboards
                  • Incorporated a door to the outside for the powder room, in case we ever build a pool in the future. It has been handy for the kids playing outside and running into there instead of through the whole house to go to the restroom
                  • Garage size - I told our architect I wanted to park a 3/4 ton truck in the garage. Just wish I had gone wider on the doors or just one door at this point, but the garage is plenty big.
                  • Huge pantry

Thanks a ton buddy. I’ll get to reading it

Comment

One thing we did is put an actual staircase from the garage to the attic. That turned out to be a great decision. We use the attic storage a lot more because it's so much easier to carry things up and down the stairs vs one of those ships ladders. Full foam encapsulation keeps the attic from getting very hot.

Comment

List could go on forever but...

Dog wash in utility room

More importantly utility room off master closet

Minimum three car garage

Christmas light plugs in soffits on a switch

Safe room with block walls and a vault door

Comment

- Home generator
                        - Tankless hot water heater
                        - Gun room (my current house has a hidden room, which has been great for all my hunting stuff to live)
                        - if you have kids, a “play room” so they don’t have toys scattered across their room
                        - Bathroom with easy access from wherever you spend the most time outdoors
                        - Garage storage (I’m a neat freak)
                        - Big back porch/ sitting area with plenty of seating (we host family and friends a lot, so this is a big must for me)
                        - full size door for attic access

Comment

Floor drain in the laundry room in case hoses ever bust a hole or backs up.

30amp breaker for plugging in the RV whenever we have it at home to do anything with.

Generator cut over switch.

Dog kennel under the dead space in the stair case.

Pre wire the back patio for speakers.

Comment

one of you outside hose bibs to come off of your water softener for washing cars
                            we put in a central vacuum system works great just didn't build a storage closet for accessories can't have enough storage space
                            outlets in soffits as stated above
                            220 plug for back up power feed
                            run an extra 50amp for future out buildings

Comment

Not sure how much cooking you do but if you entertain at all but, if you do, now is the time for that dream kitchen. It should include:

- Professional 48" range: six burners and griddle (do not need with indoor grill) with double (two-thirds) oven below. Suggest gas range, elec oven option.
                              - Double electric wall oven (I like Kitchenaid)...yes, FOUR ovens in all. They come in handy during the holidays and when entertaining.
                              - Built-in microwave. Mine is above my double wall oven. Yes, it's a little high for children.
                              - Water spigot over range top (optional)
                              - Don't bother with a warming drawer. Buy wall ovens that have a setting for warming and/or proofing.
                              - TWO dishwashers! Very important when entertaining.
                              - TWO sinks: one should be a double sink w/ disposal. Extra deep for large pots/pans. Second sink a single with disposal and located on opposite side of kitchen near the range. (A third sink is recommended if you're including a bar in your plans. Bar should be off the kitchen.
                              - Two to three trash bins incorporated into cabinets; should be spread out and strategically located near sinks and/or dishwashers. An additional trash can if building a bar.
                              - Two ice makers. One in the kitchen and the other in the bar.
                              - A BAR, which should be located right off the kitchen. (If you're using a caterer for an event, catering personnel can double as bartender. Saves money.)
                              - Appliance "garages" with electrical strips (I have four...and they're full!). I don't like my counter tops cluttered with appliances. Will post pics as soon as we're finish making ice cream.
                              - Granite, marble, or stone counter tops. They are a must for placing hot items that have come directly from the oven. They also work well for kneading bread or rolling out pastry dough.
                              - An outdoor kitchen!
                              - Electrical outlets no further than every four feet.
                              - A dedicated electrical outlet for your Christmas tree and a dedicated light switch.

All of this in addition to everything else already mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X