No announcement yet.

Elk hunting boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wear very light boots (Altra). I would be in trail runners if I did not have nerve damage that makes one ankle weak.
    If I was going to pop for premium boots I would go with Limmer. They build to your foot measurement. Re-sole as many times as you need for the rest of your life.

I am not going too, i will just stay with my altras. Each pound on your foot loads you as much as 5 pounds on your back.

Comment

Over the years I’ve worn probably 20-30 different brands due to work or play.

Lowa boots are by far the best I’ve put on my foot. Short break in time and very comfortable. Gortex models legit keep your feet dry. I prefer the Zephyrs but most people love any model they pick up.

I wore some Merrells on a 11 mile backpacking trip in Alaska and was impressed with how they worked for me. That was the only time they were used that rigorously though. They were newer so can’t speak to the longevity with long treks like that.

Also a fan of Danners but only certain modes.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I love my Kenetreks

Comment

Originally posted by nTxKilla View Post
          Well with New Mexico draw odds out today, I’ll be headed somewhere in Colorado. Non guided, non pack in. Well we’re packing in, but on our backs.
          Since you are headed to an OTC unit in CO, those units tend to be nastier mountains thus lower success odds, I would go with a premium boot. With a mid range stiffer shank. (3, BC) via most boot MFG scales. (Hanwag alaska, Crispi Nevada, lowa ticamII, Kenetrek hardscrabble, zamberlan guide, schnees Beartooth etc.

Next round that’s more 1-2/ AB would be hanwag tatra, zamberlan lynx/vois 1996, schnees timberline, lowa Camino, crispi valdres etc

I use to wear light weight trailer runs, on a pack out I wrecked my feet so bad that I still have planter fascia issues. Trailer runs work day hunting or until you have to pack weight off trail, IMO. Not a long term solution weighted pack solution.
          Last edited by Texans42; 05-04-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            Since you are headed to an OTC unit in CO, those units tend to be nastier mountains thus lower success odds, I would go with a premium boot. With a mid range stiffer shank. (3, BC) via most boot MFG scales. (Hanwag alaska, Crispi Nevada, lowa ticamII, Kenetrek hardscrabble, zamberlan guide, schnees Beartooth etc.

Next round that’s more 1-2/ AB would be hanwag tatra, zamberlan lynx/vois 1996, schnees timberline, lowa Camino, crispi valdres etc

I use to wear light weight trailer runs, on a pack out I wrecked my feet so bad that I still have planter fascia issues. Trailer runs work day hunting or until you have to pack weight off trail, IMO. Not a long term solution weighted pack solution.
            Yea so much depends on the terrain. I could go with a light hiker or mountaineering boot depending on the area. I'd get some info on the unit and pretty quick

Comment

Originally posted by nTxKilla View Post
              Headed to the mountains come September. Looking for the best boot for putting on the miles. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks in advance,

Killa
              I’ve been impressed with the Salomon quest GTX and I have some Under armour speed freaks that I have had for a few years putting a lot of miles on them. Both are still holding up well and my feet didn’t give me any problems on my elk hunt the last 2 years

Comment

Love my Schnees or Danners

Comment

Salomon boots all the way

Comment

Working...
                  X