Arrow Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Question?

I have a Sarrels Longbow that is 50#@28" that my son shoots. He has a draw of 24" and I want to keep the arrows about 26" for groth. What size arrow do you think he needs. I figured the draw weight to be around 38-40#

A lot would depend on the size point you want to shoot but a 3555 from gold tip should work good for you. Carbon Express Heritage 150s might also be a good arrow for ya.

Comment

Honestly Ive used those kid arrows you get from cabelas before, Carbon Express Thunderstorms,not expensive and when he grows a bit more he can get the $$$$ ones

Comment

Forgot all about the CX Thunderstorms! Good catch, longstick. I haven't sold many of them recently. Mostly sell them for low poundage compounds. They're rated for up to a 35# compound. They should work well out of your sons bow, depending on the point weight.

One piece of advice, don't get too stuck on the arrow length being 26". The best thing to do is bare shaft the bow and trim accordingly. I have too many guys come into the shop saying they need an arrow 'this length' even if I know it will make the shaft way too stiff. More than once have I had to talk someone into bare shafting the arrows they bought somewhere else before I cut them.

I'm currently out of the Thunderstorms but I need to place an order form Carbon Express tomorrow before we get ready to pack up for the Hunters Extravoganza. I'll get some in a week and if you're in the area and you want to test a few shafts to see what works best, stop in the shop.

Good luck either way.

Comment

I have a set of Goldtip’s kid model, I forgot what they are called, that you are welcome to try. If they work for your boy you can have them, if not I will give to give them to someone who puts on kids shoots.

Comment

TradAg, I would like to try them.

Thanks Wil

Comment

The new easton 600's are for 35-50# bows. They may work a little better than the 35/55's 05 easton 500's.

Comment

I plan on being at SaltGrass on Sunday if you know someone attending I can bring them with me. If not e-mail me your address and I will put them in the mail.

Comment

I also have a pretty large stock of busted 3555 GoldTips that will be around 24-26” after the bad part is cut off. You are welcome to try them as well.

If anyone else has a kid that may be able to use some old Gold Tips, let me know. I believe I have around two dozen laying around. These arrows aren’t really pretty and have been shot, but should be fine for kids.

I also have several 5575 that are busted as well. They would be ok for small game, but to stiff for anything serious.

Comment

TradAg, sent you an e-mail

Comment

35/55's and 150's are WAY TOO STIFF for that setup. I shoot 35/55's 30" out of a 57#@28 longbow, with 300gr up front to soften the spine.

I just went thru this whole search last two months. My wife is 4'11", draws 24 inches. I got her a 56#@28 Shrew longbow. She's shooting 44# at her draw. After a LOT of testing she's shooting 28inch CE Thunderstorm Jr's, with alum adapters, two(2) 50 gr weights screwed in behind the adapter, and 200gr field points. They fly like darts bareshaft with her shooting it.I haven't checked finished arra weights yet, but they are heavy for draw weight, with a high FOC. Perfect for hunting.
                      troy

Comment

I checked my wifes arra weight....485gr, right at 11gr/pound. She's going to use 160gr STOS heads on 42gr adapters=200gr broadhead. FOC= 23.8

Dr Ashbys latest studies on game show greater penetration with high FOC arras, small diameter carbon shafts, ditto for heavy for draw arra weight, and 3/1 ratio two blade heads. Ought to be good to go.
                        troy

Comment

Working...
                        X