Draw weight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw weight question

Trying to plan long term for next year. My goal is to get at least a doe with my recurve. I have a 1 piece recurve 50# and a Samick 30#. The 30# I too light to hunt with but I am pretty shaky with the 50#. I am just getting back into trad. Should I try to build up to the 50 or order 40# limbs for the Samick?

I would order the 40# limbs and use them to build up to the 50#. Going up 20# in one jump is huge, and would be very difficult for even a seasoned shooter!

Bisch

Comment

20#s is a pretty big jump. I would continue to shoot the 30 most of the time working on form, especially getting the feel of drawing with your back muscles. Then occasionally pick up the heavier bow for a few shots, putting it down as soon as your form gets sloppy. It is mostly about training yourself to use the right muscles when drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        20#s is a pretty big jump. I would continue to shoot the 30 most of the time working on form, especially getting the feel of drawing with your back muscles. Then occasionally pick up the heavier bow for a few shots, putting it down as soon as your form gets sloppy. It is mostly about training yourself to use the right muscles when drawing.
        I agree with this. 50 is not really that heavy assuming you do not have any injuries and you will work into it quicker than you think. If your goal is next year you should have plenty of time.

Comment

What Bisch said. Another, less expensive, approach would be to shoot the 30# as your training/practice bow and use the 50# as if it was a strength trainer. Draw it and hold for 3 or 4 seconds as many times as you can without shaking. When you can't hold it for 3 seconds without shaking, put it away and train with the 30#. Do the 50# every other day until you're strong enough to hold it for 3 or 4 seconds for about 10 times. Then start shooting it again.

Comment

I would order the 40# limbs. I think it is a worthwhile $75 investment for that bow. I own one with 40# and 50# limbs.

You have plenty of time, so take it slow and don't risk injury by rushing to the higher weight. Start shooting now with the 30#, getting your form down. At the end of the year, move to 40# and start shooting and building up strength. Start shooting 3D in the spring and then once your endurance is up with the 40#, start shooting the 50# and transition to it at the beginning of summer.

That is just one way of many to do it though...

What is your draw length, and what is your current compound draw weight?

Comment

agree with the different thoughts above but I would add go to the gym and work your back and shoulder muscles religiously 3 time a week and 50 will come quickly

Comment

I can shoot 50# I just can't hold it very long so it hurts my form. And I'm a little shaky a r full draw. I just want to get to where it's comfortable to draw.

stickbow I have thought about spending some time in the gym.

Swamprabbit, my draw is 30 inches and my compound is 55#
                Last edited by TXbowman; 11-02-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Agree with the above advice bout getting the 40 lb limbs. Over the years, as your shooting strength grows, you may also find: occasionally shooting a heavier bow (than your every day bow) will help you work out kinks in form as well. At least it does for me. Good Luck, Good Huntin, and God Bless

Comment

Working...
                  X