Speed nocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed nocks

I am loving shooting my Bob Lee Recurve, I decided to sell the compound and hunt only with the recurve in '07. I just picked up some POC arrows with what I believe are speed knocks on them. Since traditional arrows use glue and I have only built carbon arrows I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I take the speed nocks off and put on a nock that grips my bow string? If so, how do I do it?

2. If not, how should I shoot these bad boys, do you use a split finger technique and use your index finger to keep it on the string?

3. I want to start building my own wood arrows, so would you guys mind giving me a short list of what I need to buy.

Thanks for all the new guy questions in the old school...

It depends on how deep you want to get into building woodies,I made my own dip tubes,for crowning(paint)and for lacquer coating I used pvc with cap ends.I use a jojan fletching jig R/hand,I made my own cresting machine.
    You can buy from three rivers or the nocking point pre-finished shafts,I like buying from The Nocking Point because they hand weigh the shafts.Then all you need to buy is a fletching jig right wing or left wing,and feathers to match,you will then need taper tool,points,nocks,duco cement,hot melt glue,propane torch,that should get you started,it is a lot to buy to get started,but most tools will last a long time.
    I will try to get back to answer more later but have to run for now...

Comment

Live2Hunt:

You can heat a pan of water almost to a boil and place the nock into the water for about 10-15 seconds and then pinch the nock a bit to have a tighter fit on the string. You can also build up your serving to provide a tighter fit. Removing the nocks can be done by heating the nock over an open flame until the glue releases but this is tricky and can damage the arrow if you aren't very careful. I'd try option #1 first, then #2 if #1 doesn't work.

Good luck.

Doug Key

Comment

Live2hunt,I shoot splitfinger,one above two below.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I dont like the feel of those speed nocks. I just feel better with a nock that holds the string a little...

Comment

The speed nocks can be snugged up with boiling water. You get a pot of water on the stove top to boiling. Dip the nock into the water and hold about 2 seconds (nock only) then remove. Now, squeeze the nock at the base of the tangs and fit to suit. You may cool when fitted with cold tap water or you can let it cool naturally. I find the tap water will help it to keep the fit once the nock cools. I have yet to have a nock fail due to this process.

Speed nocks are easier on your serving and leave the bow quieter.

Comment

Thanks Tracy, but I am still very new to the trad style and I find them hard to shoot going from a release to three fingers. I dont know what is better, but I seem to shoot better using split fingers instead of three under.

Comment

How far are you from Red Oak?

In the interim, I'd recommend sticking with bohning classics or snap nocks. I don't like how narrow the snap nocks are though. Harder on your serving. The bohning classics are better.
                Last edited by LostHawg; 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Tracy, I will make up some POC with feathers after I shoot these up, witch at the rate I am going will be Monday.

I am up in Fairview, above Allen and below McKinney.

Comment

Working...
                  X